4/19/12 Deep Belly Slough

Fishing information and reports for for the rest of the Cook County Forest Preserve District waters.

4/19/12 Deep Belly Slough

Postby Theshocker1293 » Apr Thu 19, 2012 3:55 pm

Today was a day I had a late start for work so I did a ton of errands but drove by two small ponds while I was in the Palos Hills area. After completing my errands I opted to try The Deep Belly again. I worked most of the shoreline with red, white, neon, and black w/ red spinnerbait from Strike King. The tried the smaller Booyah Spinnerbaits all in the same color with slight variations. Nothing even with changing retrieve speed changing the depth. I guess they weren't hungry but then again I didn't have a ton of hours to spend just tried for a little over an hour. "Just one more cast", caused me to waste too much time :lol:

Edit: Sorry it was 0835 when I got out there a little sunny with a slight breeze. I'm thinking the water might have been too cold. What is a good temp to fish?
"Sappers Clear the Way!"

"To become a Master-Angler you must first be a Master-Baiter!"
Theshocker1293
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: 4/19/12 Deep Belly Slough

Postby jaypee the hhf » Apr Thu 19, 2012 4:10 pm

afternoons into the evening is better right now due to weather....a few hours of sunlight on the water, can make all the difference.

and thats one crazy colored spinnerbait! :shock:
http://www.TightRopeFishing.com for Baby Firework Super Jigs!

I dont Kayak.
jaypee the hhf
2009 WCTT Angler of the Year

Postby Theshocker1293 » Apr Thu 19, 2012 4:15 pm

jaypee the hhf wrote:afternoons into the evening is better right now due to weather....a few hours of sunlight on the water, can make all the difference.
and thats one crazy colored spinnerbait! :shock:

Oh ok so basically need the water to warm up more to get their metabolism running? Each of the those colors is a different spinner bait (ex. A Red one , a white one , a neon one, etc...)
"Sappers Clear the Way!"

Theshocker1293
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby jaypee the hhf » Apr Thu 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Theshocker1293 wrote:Each of the those colors is a different spinner bait (ex. A Red one , a white one , a neon one, etc...)

oh haha that make more sense! you had me searching Strike king for a new color, haha or colors!

Yes...it could be as little as 1 deg. in water temp change that can turn them on/off.

I have only fished Deep Belly like 2 times...but i think a spinnerbait was a good choice for day like today, and that body of water...also maybe a squarebill crankbait...the lakes name sake is pretty true... try and bang you baits off of any timber you can see/ find...grab a reaction bite.

good luck!

JayPee
http://www.TightRopeFishing.com for Baby Firework Super Jigs!

I dont Kayak.
jaypee the hhf
2009 WCTT Angler of the Year

Postby Theshocker1293 » Apr Thu 19, 2012 4:57 pm

Whats your suggestion on size and colors for spinnerbaits in the Midwest :?:
"Sappers Clear the Way!"

Theshocker1293
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Busse Jim » Apr Thu 19, 2012 5:41 pm

3/8 oz to 1/2 oz is a good size 1/4 oz just seems to light -tends to roll on retrieves, white , chartruese , blue , black and combos of these colors work for me . clear water brite light- more natural colors , dirty water low light -brite colors
Busse Jim
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Other Cook County Forest Preserve Lakes