Schiller Pond

Fishing information and reports for for the rest of the Cook County Forest Preserve District waters.

Schiller Pond

Postby Bassackwards » Jun Wed 18, 2014 6:47 pm

I submitted a question to CCFP regarding any catfish stocking at Schiller Pond (my five-year-old loves catching cats) and got this response:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the stocking of Schiller Pond. While we have had several lakes and ponds affected by last winter’s severe weather, Schiller Pond was not one of them. The stocking that has been occurring at Schiller Pond has been part of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources’ Urban Fisheries Program. Due to cut backs in the State’s budget that program has been scaled back some. No longer will 2lb average catfish be stocked in the program’s lakes. Instead, in 2012 large numbers of 6-inch average catfish were stocked in order to boost the total population. These stockings included 1,200 channel catfish in 2013 and an additional 1,800 channel catfish in 2013. We have not heard from the State hatchery if and/or when this year’s stocking will take place, however we do anticipate receiving fish sometime later this summer. The size and number of fish stocked will be determined by how successful this year’s hatchery production was. Again , thank you for your inquiry and if you have any further questions please fell free to contact me at the numbers listed below.

James J. Phillips
Fisheries Biologist II
Forest Preserves of Cook County
McGinnis Field Station
Bassackwards
Minnow

Re: Schiller Pond

Postby Aux Pleins » Jun Wed 18, 2014 7:41 pm

Used to love sneaking across Cumberland on a hot summer night for those cats, many times to finding out I wasn't the only one fishing that night. Was pretty awesome hanging with coyotes, skunks, and hoards of deer that would appear out of nowhere right up beside you. A lot of etiquette went into fishing at night there, like no laterns unless you needed to unhook and also learning to stay out of sight of forest preserve police and their spotlights.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby RonG » Jun Wed 18, 2014 8:21 pm

Aux Pleins wrote: and also learning to stay out of sight of forest preserve police and their spotlights.

Did you have to jump in, stay under and breathe out of a reed? :D
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Jun Wed 18, 2014 10:00 pm

Lmao, definitely needed to take cover and stay off the high shorelines where you could be spotted easily. Was pretty funny when someone left a lantern on too long others would shout across the pond 'shut that f-ing lantern off." Ahhhh, fun times indeed.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Elixsmith773 » Feb Mon 20, 2017 12:10 am

Aux Pleins wrote:Used to love sneaking across Cumberland on a hot summer night for those cats, many times to finding out I wasn't the only one fishing that night. Was pretty awesome hanging with coyotes, skunks, and hoards of deuer that would appear out of nowhere right up beside you. A lot of etiquette went into fishing at night there, like no laterns unless you needed to unhook and also learning to stay out of sight of forest preserve police and their spotlights.

..... and the occasional friendly midnight tokers around lol thosr were the days man
Elixsmith773
Minnow

Return to Other Cook County Forest Preserve Lakes