schiller pond

Fishing information and reports for for the rest of the Cook County Forest Preserve District waters.

schiller pond

Postby Adam_Lagoda0929 » Jun Wed 17, 2015 6:24 pm

Most of you know that schiller is a grave yard during most of the year with heavy bucket pressure and al, but mid to late summer it produces a decent cat fishery . I hit schiller yesterday with the basic float -weight- hook set up with liver and night crawlers . Was there from about 2:40 pm-5 pm and landed (released ) close to 20 cats.. and lost twice as many. There were a ton of families also fishing. One family in particular showed me why schiller is a grave yard.. one of the little kids landed a HUGE bass on a spinner . Weighed in at 6.4 pounds .. and I thought they'd just take a quick pic and release her. Nope! In the bucket she went.. now I know what happened to the schiller bass :cry:
Adam_Lagoda0929

Re: schiller pond

Postby Aux Pleins » Jun Wed 17, 2015 7:51 pm

Haven't seen a bass in there in over a decade. Pond is only about 4 ft deep , the depth contours are a little off on the county website.

It does however receive an annual stocking of channel cats and hybrid sunfish.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby JustinCarf » Jun Wed 17, 2015 10:37 pm

Haven't fished that pond in over 10 years. Sounds like you had a good day, though. Tough to hear about that bass, but that's par for the course in that area, I guess.
JustinCarf
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby WetWader » Jun Thu 18, 2015 8:00 am

Curious how a bass that size could have survived the past few winters in a pond that shallow.
WetWader
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby globb4 » Jun Thu 18, 2015 8:53 am

troll? The 6.4lb precision weight seems a little odd unless you are Busse Jim :P
globb4
Fishing Fanatic

Postby AKA-Fishcatcher » Jun Thu 18, 2015 11:56 am

Probably about 8-10 years back or so I caught a 5 lber out of Schiller Pond. That was the one and only bass I have ever caught there. So there must not be many, but a few monsters lingering around. Haven't been there in years. Its too bad that big fish got turned into someone's dinner.
Give me a call for a quote on your Boat, Auto, Home, Small Business, and Life Insurance
https://www.farmersagent.com/akosjer
AKA-Fishcatcher
Game Fish

Postby Joeshoto » Jun Fri 26, 2015 2:48 pm

I am starting to think that all of FP SHOULD BE CATCH AND RELEASE ONLY.

I caught a few nice ones the other day and one of em was hooked really deep and it took too long to get it out. As I extracted the hook, I goofed up and it went into the gill. I didn't think it would live. Ruined my day.

Alot of idiots out there with no sense of ethics and no idea of what keeps these fisheries going.
Some public education in this region would help.
Joeshoto
Game Fish

Postby Elixsmith773 » Feb Mon 20, 2017 12:02 am

Yea I love those woods and that area, I grew up down the street and it really sucks these Googans keeping every single fish even the smallest squeaks! I've caught nice channel cats at dusk there a couple years ago but these Un licensed airheads pillage and litter schiller and other busier fpdcc ponds groves. And honestly I wouldn't trust the quality even of keeper size fish there to eat! lol if I see idjits bucketing every catch and paying creel limits no mind, I ask them if they have a license an I'd say 85% of those ive asked at various ponds do not, so i report em. But usually when I ask they get scared thinking I'm dnr or something and leave lol. I'd like to get that fishery back, a healthy bass population and some T. L. C can mabey motivate people to care for and respect it more. It used to be deeper years ago too I think, they may have filled a lot of it doing work there within the last ten years or something, I could be wrong tho. PETITION FOR CATCH AND RELEASE FISHING ONLY AT FPDCC FISHERIES ANYONE??? (with the exception of species overabundance or the annual catchable trout events perhaps, I don't care but I know a lot people enjoy the madness lol)
Elixsmith773
Minnow

Return to Other Cook County Forest Preserve Lakes