Bode Lakes?

Fishing information and reports for for the rest of the Cook County Forest Preserve District waters.

Bode Lakes?

Postby Rambler » Aug Mon 01, 2016 8:52 am

Has anyone fished Bode lately? Anything happening there?
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Bode Lakes?

Postby Caught at Dawn » Aug Mon 01, 2016 10:36 am

I grew up near bode lakes and used to fish there as a kid. Never caught much more than blue gills. My dad caught a catfish out of there once. Nothing huge probably like 15". I do know that the creek that connects to the further back lake is Popular Creek and it dumps into the fox. So there is always potential you get something that swam way up during high water and stayed in the lake.
"There is something else I am after, out here in the wild. I am searching for an even more elusive prey . . . something that can only be found through the help of wilderness. I am looking for my heart."
John Eldredge, Wild at Heart.
Caught at Dawn
Game Fish

Postby JB » Aug Mon 01, 2016 3:23 pm

Heard there were pike in there back in the day. Never see posts on it which leads me to believe nothing much to talk about. I used to see the occasional post on poplar creek and people catching smallies and large creek chubs.
To fish or not to fish......that's a stupid question.
JB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Aug Mon 01, 2016 3:31 pm

I was thinking about checking it out tomorrow evening if it's not raining. Guess I'll go to Busse instead.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby jbernaeyge » Aug Mon 08, 2016 3:44 pm

any updates?
jbernaeyge
Minnow

Postby RonG » Aug Mon 08, 2016 4:16 pm

Fishing does not bode well at Bode.

I used to get some crappies in the north lake near the creek exit. I used to see some dude who regularly loaded up on some nice catfish near where the two lakes meet. At the rate he was hauling them out of there, you can bet he decimated the population. I've iced fished it twice, both times without a bite.
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Aug Mon 08, 2016 4:23 pm

RonG wrote:Fishing does not bode well at Bode.

Ron - Pun spelled backwards is N-U-P and that's anup outta you!! :lol:
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Aug Mon 08, 2016 5:03 pm

Rambler wrote:
RonG wrote:Fishing does not bode well at Bode.

Ron - Pun spelled backwards is N-U-P and that's anup outta you!! :lol:

There's a guy I know who always pronounces 'Bode Road' as "Boad Road" and now I can never get his pronunciation out of my head. We still don't know if he's just plain ignorant or if he's trying to be funny. Probably ignorant, because the only thing funny about him is the way he walks. :crazy:
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby croman » Aug Mon 08, 2016 5:45 pm

I just hit it Sunday morning at 6:30... not a bite. Fished both. Threw out wacky and a Bass Stopper. Saw about 5-6 other people fishing, also without a single bite. Chatted them up a bit as I walked around and hit different spots and they too said not a bite. Did see 2 common carp swim right in front of me while I was casting, 1 on each lake.
croman
Pan Fish

Postby Rambler » Aug Tue 09, 2016 8:17 am

RonG wrote:Probably ignorant, because the only thing funny about him is the way he walks

I got a buddy who's sort of like that. He insists on calling the Pere Marquette River in MI the "Perry Marquette". Just his way of being contrarian.

BTW - he doesn't walk too funny.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Aug Mon 15, 2016 5:48 pm

I used to fish this place when I was younger. Crappie fishing was good on small hair jigs and small 2" jerkbaits on the southern shoreline a straight walk north from the parking lot. The bass would hit the jerkbaits too. Crappie also hit for me near the pipe on the east lake where two lakes meet. I tried it once since I started fishing again last year and I got no bites nor follows. Poplar creek upstream used to be good if you could find a section which was naturally dammed up by some logs...throwing pumpkin colored 3" tubejigs in the calm pool above the "dam" would always produce a bass or two up there....havn't tried that in 15 years or so though so I have no clue what it's like back there now. Problem is this place gets no stocking of fish and way too many bucket heads...its too small to sustain the type of non-catch-and-release pressure it gets.
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Aug Tue 16, 2016 8:35 am

As it turned out I didn't fish either Bode or Busse that day. My mother-in-law had a health issue & I had to head home directly after work to comfort my wife...

I tried Bode years ago when I worked out of an office in Schaumburg & don't remember it being all that good. I was hoping it had gotten better but it sounds like it hasn't.

Doubt I'll ever give it a shot.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Other Cook County Forest Preserve Lakes