Maple Lake troubles

Fishing information and reports for for the rest of the Cook County Forest Preserve District waters.

Maple Lake troubles

Postby Jaybowler » Aug Mon 22, 2016 10:19 am

I've been here about 7-8 times with absolutely no luck. I've tried everything from different rigs with senkos to different hard lures. I usually go from noon til about 7pm, twice I've gone at 6am. Is it just the lake or am I in a slump? Thanks
Jaybowler

Re: Maple Lake troubles

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Aug Mon 22, 2016 10:28 am

Very high pressure on that lake, IMO, so you may have to think outside the box with a presentation that they haven't seen as much. Drop shot, or shaky head rig, maybe?
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Jaybowler » Aug Mon 22, 2016 10:41 am

Awesome thanks for the tips
Jaybowler

Postby catchafew » Aug Mon 22, 2016 11:40 am

I'm guessing you have been reading victor's posts? He has had luck at maple and seems pretty open about what he's doing with his bass fishing. Ccfp lakes are tough no doubt. Good luck.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby JB » Aug Mon 22, 2016 12:31 pm

Yep victor has been putting up some gem posts for maple lake. If you haven't read those please do. I do think that boat access helps and I also feel certain shoreline stretches are just dead water possibly from all the pressure. Maybe you'll get some feedback from him.
To fish or not to fish......that's a stupid question.
JB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Aug Mon 22, 2016 1:22 pm

Your results are statistically impossible. Are we talking the same Maple Lake here?
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby WetWader » Aug Mon 22, 2016 2:15 pm

From shore you need to fish the areas that are harder to get to and not as many people will walk to. Try walking the lake along the road down a ways towards the opposite direction of the boat launch starting at the main point. It's not easy to cast from a lot of areas but those tend to be the better areas.
WetWader
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Jaybowler » Aug Mon 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Thanks guys. And yes I've been fishing from the shore and boat launch area
Jaybowler

Postby Jaybowler » Aug Mon 22, 2016 3:27 pm

Could it also be the heat? I noticed caught a bunch yesterday and that was the first cooler day in a while? It was like 65-73 the whole day and super cloudy?
Jaybowler

Postby jonny2can » Aug Mon 22, 2016 6:22 pm

Between noon and 5pm is probably the worst time.. not trying to be a jerk but that should be common sense..especially this time of year.. go early or late.. I go early and notice a big drop in activity after 9am
jonny2can
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Jaybowler » Aug Tue 23, 2016 7:00 am

Yea I know which times are better. Like I said in the beginning I go at 6am when I can, I'm not always free at the prime times so I go when I can man. I am a beginner but I'm not stupid. Just looking for a few tips, thanks
Jaybowler

Postby wiktor911 » Aug Tue 23, 2016 1:28 pm

Jaybowler wrote:I've been here about 7-8 times with absolutely no luck. I've tried everything from different rigs with senkos to different hard lures. I usually go from noon til about 7pm, twice I've gone at 6am. Is it just the lake or am I in a slump? Thanks

Yes Bass will bite better at dusk or dawn during thr hot summer months. I've had good luck there in the middle of the day as well. With fish ranging from 2.5 to 5lbs or bigger. Rent a boat or a kayak there if you'd like or bring your own and try to sneak it in. If you rent a boat bring a trolling motor. Row boats will get you no where. Cover as much water as you can. Use your electronics to locate structure and the fish will be there. Stumps and ledges with shallow and deep water always hold fish there. Throw Power fishing lures like chatter baits/top water/cranks or slow fish jigs. There are a lot baitfish schools all over the lake and Maple is loaded with craw fish. Follow them. I've been skunked there the last half dozen times from shore and boat. As you can see from my other post my friend did pretty well. Just be persistent and it'll pay off. Read the weather and wind patterns too. On sunny mid summer days with good wind you can catch some quality fish.
wiktor911
Fishing Czar

Postby jhc » Aug Tue 23, 2016 4:10 pm

What is/was the reasoning for not allowing people to bring their own boat? It seems ridiculous.
jhc

Postby jonny2can » Aug Wed 24, 2016 1:13 am

My guess is they want the lake reserved for recreation rentals.. ain't going to make any money if people going to bring their own.. is crook County after all
jonny2can
Fishing Fanatic

Postby RonG » Aug Wed 24, 2016 9:55 am

jonny2can wrote:My guess is they want the lake reserved for recreation rentals.. ain't going to make any money if people going to bring their own.. is crook County after all

That and avoiding the introduction of zebra mussels.
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ccfish » Aug Wed 24, 2016 8:24 pm

Hello long time reader here, though don't post a whole lot. Since i've been seeing all of Wiktor's posts on maple lake as of late. I've been hitting up maple lake from shore on Saturday mornings between 8-noon for the past month or so. what i've found is don't fish the boat launch area or the peninsula. try fishing off the beaten path... i've been throwing 3/8 oz black/blue fleck and green chatter baits and a texas rig with a black and blue fleck yum dinger. these have been working for me for the most part.
ccfish
Minnow

Return to Other Cook County Forest Preserve Lakes