Change of pace

Fishing information and reports for for the rest of the Cook County Forest Preserve District waters.

Change of pace

Postby Rambler » Mar Sat 03, 2018 11:02 am

Decided to head South yesterday & spent a few hours at the Sag quarries. Beeeyewteeful day but no freakin' feesh. Started out with a blue / black craw with a bullet weight, tried a Strike King swim jig & even tried some crank baits - all fished really slow. No takers.

A couple of guys passed by who'd been fishing for several hours and said, "not a G-D thing" which made me feel a lot better about the skunk. Oh well, at least the days are getting longer.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Re: Change of pace

Postby mike son » Mar Sat 03, 2018 12:50 pm

Some buddies and I used to fish there in high school, the quarry on furthest east. I don't think we ever caught anything so I'm not sure why we kept going back haha.

Have you been out to hidden lake this year? Think I might hit it tomorrow for a lil bit for my first outing of the year. Was pretty active shallow with bass and shad the time I met you out there around the same time last year.
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby HEDDONFROG » Mar Sat 03, 2018 12:55 pm

I think some waters need to warm up a wee bit more to turn on. Yesterday after work, I stopped at a pond near home and initially just saw little micro gills up shallow but on the northern wind protected side of the pond there were some nice ones sunning themselves. Took a pic of some bulls but it’s hard to see them. Definitely bringing a gill set up with next time out
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Mar Sat 03, 2018 3:32 pm

Are you fishing with pasta? :wtf:

'Not exactly sure what I'm looking at. Happens a lot to me when I'm fishing. Actually, whatever the yellow things are, they look a lot like the tags on the numerous tagged fish I've landed.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Woohoodude11 » Mar Sat 03, 2018 4:42 pm

RonG wrote:Are you fishing with pasta? :wtf:

'Not exactly sure what I'm looking at. Happens a lot to me when I'm fishing. Actually, whatever the yellow things are, they look a lot like the tags on the numerous tagged fish I've landed.

They're drawn on lines from a phone, just indicating where the fish are in case you can't find em on your own.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Mar Sat 03, 2018 5:19 pm

Woohoodude11 wrote:

They're drawn on lines from a phone, just indicating where the fish are in case you can't find em on your own.

Ah, thanks! I get it now. I've always led a very high-tech life. In 1984, I even had a wrist-watch with buttons to turn on my bedroom lights and stereo system. But when it comes to phone technology, I'm as old as Rambler.

Anyone else here used to receive the DAK catalogs in the mail?
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Mar Sat 03, 2018 5:25 pm

mike son wrote:Have you been out to hidden lake this year?

Not yet but it's on my radar.

I used to fish the quarries years ago and had some decent luck. But it was later in the year. We need some more warm days to get things going.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby grems » Mar Sat 03, 2018 7:28 pm

Yea Ron, Drew Alan Kaplan sent me many catalogs, even bought some complete crap once, only once.
grems
Game Fish

Postby minstrel » Mar Sat 03, 2018 7:51 pm

Woohoodude11 wrote:

I thought they were french fries... heh.
minstrel
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Wolfnight » Mar Sun 04, 2018 4:03 pm

First time out at Tempier today. On the bank for 7.30am. ESE to East wind at 9mph - historically not good. Water temp a very cold 42. Air temp 31 warming to 42 by lunchtime. Surprisingly the water was not gin clear, quite murky. Fished on the Island point. Did not get skunked but it was very hard. Fished pole and corn, over some chopped worms. Had nothing for 2 hours then had 5 bites in as many casts. Hooked and landed just a 2.5lbs carp. Lost two other carp. They were just not having it, barely touching the bait. The fish I did catch was very cold, hardly put up a fight. A few other anglers on the bank but nobody was catching. Early days! Just great to get out, wet a line.
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Pan Fish

Postby Woohoodude11 » Mar Sun 04, 2018 4:15 pm

Wolfnight wrote:Just great to get out, wet a line.

That's what its all about this time of year. Can't catch anything if you don't try. Great time to tune up your gear regardless.
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Mar Mon 05, 2018 9:32 am

Woohoodude11 wrote:That's what its all about this time of year.

Not gonna lie its been a mighty slow last 3-4 days for me. Been getting out every day but not much to show for. I keep seeing 3-6lb bass posted on social media groups too, makes me think Im doing something wrong (I suppose that could just be selection bias)
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Mar Mon 05, 2018 9:51 am

I keep seeing 3-6lb bass posted on social media groups too

all about location and population density. if you're not fishing a pond with a healthy population of that class of fish, you're likely to be disappointed with your results. it only takes one golf course pond full of hungry monsters to turn a lousy fisherman into a facebook group legend. then the golf maintenance crew poisons the water, killing off all the fish, and they're back to being just a lousy fisherman with a mystery tackle box subscription.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Mar Mon 05, 2018 11:04 am

urbanHog312 wrote:

all about location and population density. if you're not fishing a pond with a healthy population of that class of fish, you're likely to be disappointed with your results. it only takes one golf course pond full of hungry monsters to turn a lousy fisherman into a facebook group legend. then the golf maintenance crew poisons the water, killing off all the fish, and they're back to being just a lousy fisherman with a mystery tackle box subscription.

I kinda have a tangent question regarding this.

I'm in a facebook group and people post pictures of their catches all the time. A couple guys posted pictures of them shore fishing with some solid pike and bass. It seemed like many of people in the comments knew exactly where the spot is so I believe is a local public/open spot. I messaged the poster explaining I practice C+R, clean up trash and wont post the location everywhere but I never heard back. They had it marked as Arlington Hts so its in my area somewhere and I dont currently have many productive ponds/lakes. Would it be frowned upon if I posted the pictures to see if any of you knew the spot? (I would DM images/location to keep buckets away) I'm pretty new to this so I dont wanna piss any senior members off. Im a respectful angler so I dont really see an issue but figured I would ask first. Much appreciated
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Mar Mon 05, 2018 8:30 pm

I wouldn't post other people's pictures without their permission, even if they'll never see it. I'm probably wrong, but I believe its a form of copyright infringement.
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Mar Tue 06, 2018 1:12 am

Woohoodude11 wrote:I wouldn't post other people's pictures without their permission, even if they'll never see it. I'm probably wrong, but I believe its a form of copyright infringement.

Isn’t that commonly referred to as...catfishing? :lol:
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Mar Tue 06, 2018 5:39 am

urbanHog312 wrote:

LOL- I love this.

You have to keep your results in their proper context. The best catches are going to come from the underfished, subdivision ponds. It's very hard if not impossible to compete with those results when you are fishing pressurized forest preserve waters.
I love the smell of Powerbait in the morning!
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Mar Tue 06, 2018 11:38 am

Phil6 wrote: They had it marked as Arlington Hts so its in my area somewhere and I dont currently have many productive ponds/lakes. Would it be frowned upon if I posted the pictures to see if any of you knew the spot?
Woohoodude11 wrote:I wouldn't post other people's pictures without their permission, even if they'll never see it. I'm probably wrong, but I believe its a form of copyright infringement.

To be on the safe side, you should only post pictures of other people's children. The kid's are too busy playing video games to probably ever see you using their pics and are too young to sue you for copyright or intellectual property infringement. In court, you could easy prove they aren't intelligent anyway and be permitted to eventually to change out of the orange jumpsuit.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Darkstar72 » Mar Tue 06, 2018 1:04 pm

RonG wrote:
Woohoodude11 wrote:
Anyone else here used to receive the DAK catalogs in the mail?

YUP!!
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby billebob5 » Mar Tue 06, 2018 2:07 pm

Phil I say post it. i know I never fish up that way so it won't impact me what so ever. If it's on Facebook then it's probably "public" anyway.
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Return to Other Cook County Forest Preserve Lakes