First time at Old School! Frog FTW

Fishing information and reports for for the rest of the Cook County Forest Preserve District waters.

First time at Old School! Frog FTW

Postby toyasu » Jul Sat 21, 2018 10:10 pm

Inspired by crankybass and woohoodude, I ventured out for my first trip to Old School. What a beautiful place! And great conditions with the overcast sky and wind. I found a nice patch of duckweed on the South end that had several bass hungry for a frog under it. I was casting from about 30 - 40 yards away to hit the spot and had to drag about 5 pounds of greenery back with each fish, always wondering...is there still a fish in there?! Biggest was 2.09 pounds. Got one on a chatterbait, too. Had a blast. It's a great spot and I'll definitely be back. Oh, and I met Crankybass while I was there!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
toyasu
Pan Fish

Re: First time at Old School! Frog FTW

Postby crankybass » Jul Sat 21, 2018 11:16 pm

toyasu, it was great to meet you. Those are some nice bass. It's funny how some spots produce well for some anglers and not as well for others, and how hot spots change from season to season. The spot you were fishing was hot for me in the summer of 2016, as was the opening directly across from there. Last year, the channel and that area was hot for me. This year, it's been the north pool, especially the east and north sides. I did have my biggest fish of this season so far on the north end of the channel, but other than that it has been dead for me.

Hope to see you again.
crankybass
Fishing Czar

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jul Sun 22, 2018 7:33 am

Ha! I must have been there after you guys :lol: I was pleased to find I had the lake to myself again, though. A few non-commital blowups and 2 caught <1 lb. It was good to not get the skunk but sucked following the last outing with that. I did the full lap for the first time in a long time, one was caught in the same spot you pictured.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Jul Sun 22, 2018 9:51 am

Nice looking fish. That is where I picked up my first 3 the last time out. Fish are getting busy out there now too.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jul Mon 23, 2018 10:40 pm

Always nice doing well on a maiden trip to new waters. Well done
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Other Cook County Forest Preserve Lakes