Turtlehead black bass

Fishing information and reports for for the rest of the Cook County Forest Preserve District waters.

Turtlehead black bass

Postby jeemoosh » Aug Sun 26, 2018 10:56 pm

Got out in the evening on thursday and saturday. I have access to turtlehead and arrowhead via the bike trail. After the DNR shags everyone out of the parking lot I usually have the lakes to myself. The evening bite has a small window but is usually good for a few LM. Small spinnerbaits or inlines work for me casting parallel to shore with long casts. Took a photo of this 10 incher. The color was almost black when viewed from the top. Odd.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeemoosh
Minnow

Re: Turtlehead black bass

Postby HEDDONFROG » Aug Mon 27, 2018 12:06 am

That’s why they’re called black bass, google it. Shallow water heavy cover oriented bass (which was all of them when they were named in the 1800’s) will turn exceptionally dark. Even if you caught that one in open water, he/she was probably hanging out all day in some dark cover. I recently caught a small one with a pitch black back, down to its spots and it was charcoal down to the belly, no green at all, weirdest colored LM I’ve ever caught. Sounds nice having the place to yourself
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby DPMike » Aug Mon 27, 2018 9:55 pm

I think the water color also comes into play. I've caught some really dark smallies in very tannin stained waters.

Pretty fish btw.
Subdivision Pond Slayer
DPMike
Pan Fish

Postby Wolfnight » May Tue 14, 2019 9:04 am

Here is my recent catch from Turtlehead. 2 crappie about a pound each and 40-50 bluegills. All caught and released. Tight lines all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Minnow

Postby billebob5 » May Tue 14, 2019 9:36 am

nice craps
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby vman01 » May Tue 14, 2019 2:18 pm

Good fishing to all, I especially enjoy the crappie twins pic
vman01