Good week

Fishing information and reports for for the rest of the Cook County Forest Preserve District waters.

Good week

Postby Wolfnight » Jan Tue 01, 2019 7:59 pm

Managed to fish five times the past week at Sag Quarry East and Tempier. Caught trout and bluegill at Sag. Water temp 35 degrees. Fished several times at the dam at Tempier, water temp 36 degrees, had bluegill, one largemouth and several carp, biggest 8lbs 8oz caught today on corn. Fishing has been very hard at Tempier, 5-10 bites in each 5 hour session on corn, worm and red spikes. But caught every trip. Absolutely all on my own in nature, thank goodness for gortex and skeetex boots, with several layers managed to avoid the cold. Tight lines in 2019.
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Minnow

Re: Good week

Postby Phil6 » Jan Wed 02, 2019 3:33 pm

Nice work, do you use a hair rig?
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jan Wed 02, 2019 6:24 pm

Well done and solitude is definitely one of the beni’s of going out this time of year
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Wolfnight » Jan Thu 03, 2019 9:45 am

Phil6, thanks for your question, I come from a European fishing background in the 70's and 80's so my approach since I have been in the US the past 21 years is to fish European style, which means long pole, light lines and very small hooks. Hair rigs have now become more common place but I tend to stick to with a single hook down to size 22 which is very very small but needed this time of year as fish are very shy. I caught the 8lbs carp at Tempier on 3lbs main line, 1lb 8oz hook length and size 20 hook, fishing a pole at 9 meters. The Forest Preserve Lakes as we know are very hard, so by fishing very light with a single red spike, worm or corn will catch this time of year. I have had largemouth, bluegill and crappie on this method, as well as carp. Another method that works in the cold and very clear water is chumming liquidized white bread crumb, fishing with corn or spikes over the top. Tight lines.
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Minnow

Postby JB » Jan Thu 03, 2019 10:37 am

Way to get out. Open water this time of year is nice and like you said it’s just good to get out in nature!
To fish or not to fish......that's a stupid question.
JB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Wolfnight » Jan Fri 11, 2019 9:27 pm

Broke some ice at Saq Quarry East today and fished pole and red maggot at 5m from the shoreline. Caught six rainbow trout, all caught and released. Fished for 3 hours, tried some heated socks out for the first time, outstanding! Feet as warm as toast. Tight lines.
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Minnow

Postby Phil6 » Jan Mon 14, 2019 12:37 pm

Wolfnight wrote:Broke some ice at Saq Quarry East today and fished pole and red maggot at 5m from the shoreline. Caught six rainbow trout, all caught and released. Fished for 3 hours, tried some heated socks out for the first time, outstanding! Feet as warm as toast. Tight lines.

Very cool. Do you lift them up and out over the ice or do you have the ice broken all the way out?
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby Wolfnight » Jan Thu 17, 2019 1:49 pm

I use a 10lb dumbbell tied to a long rope. I smash the ice from the edge outward, then scoop it out with a landing net on a pole, leaving a small open pool. Even after all the noise and effort, as soon as I put my bait out the fish bite! Guess they are attracted to the noise! Tight lines
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Minnow

Return to Other Cook County Forest Preserve Lakes