Sag Quarry

Fishing information and reports for for the rest of the Cook County Forest Preserve District waters.

Sag Quarry

Postby jonny2can » Apr Thu 11, 2019 8:42 pm

No hogs caught but I figured I would bump this section back into life. Got my new rod and reel setup and was ready to hit the shore. Shimano rod paired with a daiwa spinning reel with some p-line floroclear 15lb test. Throwing swimbait and senkos. Was targeting bass but pulled out a little pickerel my guess. Please correct me on the species if I am wrong. All fish released to be caught again. Just glad to see the old dirty quarries still produce!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jonny2can
Fishing Fanatic

Re: Sag Quarry

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Thu 11, 2019 9:32 pm

Nice outing. That's a grass pickerel, they stock em in the east quarry. One of the few places around Chicagoland that actually holds pickerel. I think they figured a northern pike would get too big and hungry for all the panfish in the quarry.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby jmdog2003 » Apr Fri 12, 2019 6:58 am

Very cool. Pickerel is a species that evades me.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Apr Fri 12, 2019 7:16 am

Yep, grass pickerel. Nice job. I've only ever caught one, though I've seen a bunch in different lakes.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Apr Fri 12, 2019 8:17 am

Sweet pickerel, its on my list! Didnt think there were many around here
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby JB » Apr Fri 12, 2019 12:46 pm

Good to see fish are still in there!
To fish or not to fish......that's a stupid question.
JB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby sthacker6 » Apr Sun 21, 2019 1:54 pm

I stopped down there today, havent been there in years. What happened to all of the trees? It looks like a bomb went off down there. Saw one guy catching little trout and putting them in a bucket. The whole area is starting to look like a swamp.
sthacker6
Minnow

Postby JB » Apr Sun 21, 2019 10:03 pm

Not sure if this the case but I do know that there’s been groups clearing buckthorn and other invasive species along with doing controlled burns. Maybe that’s what happened?
To fish or not to fish......that's a stupid question.
JB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby UglyStick » Apr Mon 22, 2019 3:59 pm

The Cook County FPD hired a firm to clear out invasive species like buckthorn. They cut down
a ton of trees on the banks of waters while they were at it. To stop the climbing invaders I guess.
It'll take a long time before the Cook preserves recover from that half dead look, but it's a start.
Meanwhile, the FPD turned Bullfrog Lake into a camp ground after the massive fish kill in 2014.
The water's muddy all the time, so people go to Maple Lake next store. Now Maple's a garbage
dump. Shame because it's a really good bass lake for now.
UglyStick
Pan Fish

Postby jonny2can » Apr Thu 25, 2019 9:17 pm

Went back today.. parts that were open water are already covered with algae bloom and unfishable in the east quarry. West quarry is fine. Give it another week or so and it will be full swamp mode. Bass were hard to locate with the amount of cover that have to hide under. Small fries caught in each quarry. Seen a lot of decent bass setting up their beds for spawn with no interest in my lures.
jonny2can
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Wolfnight » May Wed 01, 2019 8:29 am

Too much weed at the quarry. A shame. Place heaving with trout. I fished Turtlehead on Saturday in the rain and snow. 55 water temp. 4 hours. Fed liquidised worm and chum, fished chopped worm over the top. Caught over 60 bluegills, some a good 4 inch plus size and two awesome crappie, 1lbs each. Total weight over 10lbs. All fish returned alive to be caught another day. Best day ever at Turtle, I even caught a turtle, grabbed my corn! Thank god for Daiwa Gortex, bone dry afterward!
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Minnow

Postby Peter Piper » May Wed 01, 2019 8:35 pm

good report!
Peter Piper
Game Fish

Return to Other Cook County Forest Preserve Lakes