Miscellaneous Ramblings

Fishing information and reports for for the rest of the Cook County Forest Preserve District waters.

Miscellaneous Ramblings

Postby Rambler » Jun Thu 27, 2019 8:17 am

Still serving as a baby chauffeur until the end of July. Drop my granddaughter off in the AM, fish various locations until it's time to pick her up. Mostly I've been hitting Potawatomi Pond with side trips to Beck. Spotty luck but the peace & quiet is really what I'm after.

Walked around the pond yesterday morning. Took along the nifty little folding stool I bought a couple months ago. After casting a buzzbait without any hits I sat down to relax. Beautiful morning with lots of birds singing in the trees. It put me in mind of a time I was hiking in Colorado's Indian Peaks. I sat down with my back against a tree near a small cascade. As I sat there a little bird (I forget what) flew down and sat on the toe of my boot. Just sat there looking at me for several minutes before flying off.

Got up and tossed the lure again and landed a skinny 10" bass. At lunchtime I decided to find a pet store - we were running low on cat treats and I don't want to think about what our coonie Gunner would do if he doesn't get his treat fix in the morning. Went to a store & the realized I was closer to Skokie Lagoons than Potawatomie. So I drove over there. Fished the check dam south of Tower Rd. While I was there a young guy walked up. He just picked up a new baitcast outfit & was shaking it down. Turned out he's from Montague, MI - a town near & dear to my heart. We had a nice chat about that area & I shared some of the local fishing spots with him. He showed me pictures of a pike he'd caught in the lagoons. Also some of bass he's caught up around Montague. Good kid.

Heading out to Busse later today for some canoe fishing with my best friend. Man, it's going to be hot...
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Miscellaneous Ramblings

Postby joetrain » Jun Thu 27, 2019 8:55 am

Way to ramble Rambler.
Heat down here in NC right now is oppressive. Mid 90s everyday. Weather people are saying it’s above normal. I got out on Monday for 3 hours in the early morning and left when I started to roast. Water temps are 85-87 degrees. I have some water that I would like to night fish but without a partner I don’t want to chance it.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Miscellaneous Ramblings

Postby Aux Pleins » Jun Thu 27, 2019 1:58 pm

Dont be afraid to hit the north side of the Euclid bridge over the Des Plaines. That or Allison woods. Just rambling off places I would go for a quickie at when I worked in Wheeling.

Pretty sure I follow that MI guy on Instagram.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Return to Other Cook County Forest Preserve Lakes