Miscellaneous Ramblings #2

Fishing information and reports for for the rest of the Cook County Forest Preserve District waters.

Miscellaneous Ramblings #2

Postby Rambler » Jul Sat 13, 2019 8:45 am

My baby shuttling service will unfortunately end at the end of this month. In the meantime my meanderings continue.

Fishing continues to be spotty and since the heat set in I've been a bit more interested in finding shade than fish. Consequently I've been spending considerable time at Potawatomi Pond where the north side is in the shade most of the day.

On Wed this past week I started out in the AM throwing a buzzbait. Worked my way around the pond. No takers in the shade but I landed a nice 10 incher on the south side. After lunch I decided to try for bluegills & rigged up my UL setup. Tied on a white 1/16 jighead with a black 1.5" twister. No 'gills but landed a feisty 8" LMB. Go figure.

It's surprising there aren't any herons, egrets or kingfishers on that pond. It teems with 'gills and baby bass.

On Thursday I drove to Niles to have lunch with an old business colleague and friend. Stopped at Skokie Lagoons on the way and landed a 10-11 incher on a buzzbait by the northern most check dam. Lots of weeds.

After lunch I thought about trying my UL gear on the North Branch of the Chicago at St. Paul Woods. Before taking out my gear I decided to walk along the river & scope things out. At the point where the stream that comes down from the prairie along Caldwell joins the river there's a huge log jam that completely blocks the river. Maybe Aux should bring his chainsaw brigade & get to work. Until someone does something canoeing that stretch of the Ralph Frese Canoe Trail is highly problematic. Decided not to fish & headed back to Potawatomi Pond. Nothing that afternoon except tons of sweat.

One thing I have noticed is the abundance of poison ivy growing in the woods this year. Some are growing just where the unwary will stop to cast. Others (along the DPR) hang from trees just where hikers & bikers will brush them out of the way. I wonder how many ER visits have resulted. Let's be careful out there!

I apologize for the crappy quality of my shots.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Miscellaneous Ramblings #2

Postby Aux Pleins » Jul Sat 13, 2019 10:56 am

Yes the ivy is everywhere along the dpr. Leaves of three, leave them be... I'm pretty immune to poison ivy. Its takes a lot of that oil to get only a small bump or two on me. I constantly walk through it in shorts now without a worry. Other people are not so lucky.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Skifish1 » Jul Sun 14, 2019 5:08 am

It's a jungle like no others year I remember.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jul Sun 14, 2019 8:40 am

Skifish1 wrote:It's a jungle like no others year I remember.

Yep - much worse than I remember.

Aux Pleins wrote: I'm pretty immune to poison ivy. Its takes a lot of that oil to get only a small bump or two on me. I constantly walk through it in shorts now without a worry. Other people are not so lucky.

I was immune to it as a lad. But body chemistry changes as we age & now I'm not at all sure. Once & a while I'm tempted to brush the back of a hand along a leaf just to see but a little voice tells me, "You might be crazy but don't be stupid".

So my advice Aux is, as Han Solo said, "Great kid, don't get cocky!" :D
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Other Cook County Forest Preserve Lakes