Miscellaneous Ramblings #3

Fishing information and reports for for the rest of the Cook County Forest Preserve District waters.

Miscellaneous Ramblings #3

Postby Rambler » Jul Fri 19, 2019 8:14 am

Still doing the baby shuttle service & spending time fishing.

Tuesday I hit Potawatomi Pond again. Walked around the pond throwing a buzzbait. Landed 3 decent bass. The 1st one was the biggest (probably 2 lbs.) but the 2nd one put up the best fight.

After lunch I drove to Beck. No fish. Talked with a guy fishing with worms who said he's been catching a lot of catfish recently. Some 'gills too but no bass. It was hot so I went back to Potawatomi for the shade.

Wednesday - 3 more decent bass on a buzzbait at Potawatomi again. None as big as Tuesday's 1st. All were good fighters.

This has been my year for gear failure. 1st I broke my favorite rod at Busse. On Wednesday my reel - a Lew's Laser ACR - crapped out. I've had this reel for a number of years but have used it intermittently. The bail spring broke & now the bail just sort of flops around. Too bad - it's pretty light. Doesn't seem Lew's made this model for very long so I'm thinking there were other problems with it. Maybe ACR stands for 'A Crappy Reel' :D. Ordered a Daiwa Regal to replace it.

Watch out for what you wish for. All Wed. AM I kept hoping it would cloud over to improve the fishing. Got my wish in the afternoon. It clouded over & started raining. Oh well.

Thursday - sat in a FP shelter for most of the AM waiting for it to stop pouring. Then I went to Potawatomi & fished for a little more than an hour. No fish & it got beastly hot out in the sun so I pulled a bag chair out of my car & sat in the shade.

All-in-all a good week of fishing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Miscellaneous Ramblings #3

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jul Fri 19, 2019 1:07 pm

Scott, you should have fished the rain Thursday. I basically stopped fishing once the sun came out. Caught a dozen smalls and one big. I wish at least the overcast had lasted longer. Glad you tied into some fish earlier in the week. As you mentioned, I’ve noticed recently some smaller fish 14” to 17” have been fighting super hard. I always think I have one on bigger than it is or as we like to say “fighting outside their weight class” love those mid-sizers with big hearts and bad attitudes
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jul Fri 19, 2019 1:09 pm

Yeah I can attest to this. my best fights this year have fallen in that class. Although that drunk fishing bass beat me up (very well could have been the booze lol). Glad to see you're having a solid year bud.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Jul Fri 19, 2019 5:52 pm

Buzz bass! Probably the best kind of bass you can get.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby jmdog2003 » Jul Fri 19, 2019 8:44 pm

That's some quality time casting and reeling. Can't believe August is right around the corner already. Summer days are dwindling fast, go out and enjoy them.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jul Fri 19, 2019 8:59 pm

jmdog2003 wrote:go out and enjoy them.

Tough when the air is chewable! I vowed that I'd go out for a half hour today. Barely made it that long. Couldn't drink water fast enough to replace what I was sweating out lol. Monday is gonna be a major crash though, wonder how that'll affect the bite.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jul Sat 20, 2019 7:29 am

HEDDONFROG wrote:“fighting outside their weight class”

This seems to be pretty common. When I was resting in the shade on Thursday I checked in with my best friend. Told him about the smaller one putting up a big fight. He said he's been having the same thing happen.

Aux Pleins wrote:Buzz bass! Probably the best kind of bass you can get.

Yep. Bass on top water is just the biggest hoot.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jul Mon 22, 2019 9:29 am

Totally forgot to mention I caught 3 more on Wed before the rain. :roll:
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Other Cook County Forest Preserve Lakes