Skunk at Tampier

Fishing information and reports for for the rest of the Cook County Forest Preserve District waters.

Skunk at Tampier

Postby Wolfnight » Jan Fri 10, 2020 6:10 pm

Spent six hours at Tampier today and caught nothing; fishing off the peninsula into the deep water at 10-12 feet. Nice NNE to N wind off my back but water temps a chilling 34. Tried everything, all baits at all depths. One fish jumped clean out of the water, pretty certain it was a largemouth. The fog was bad at the start of the session, difficult to see anything! Gonna try Horsetail on Saturday in the deep water at the top end. Tight lines all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Pan Fish

Re: Skunk at Tampier

Postby bobberwatcher » Jan Sat 11, 2020 1:25 am

Sounds like a typical day at tampier to me but you've done well there in the past. Go figure. It's THE most annoying body of water-imo. You deserve an A for effort for 6 hours of it. Hopefully horsetail works out better, maybe still a few trout in there.
bobberwatcher
Fishing Czar

Postby Wolfnight » Jan Sat 11, 2020 6:57 am

Thanks Bobber, tampier is an enigma I am still trying to crack after 20 years, but I will keep trying. It is stuffed full of fish but is very temperamental and sensitive to changes in weather conditions and water temps. The fish move around plenty. Now getting ready for Horsetail. Tight lines
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Pan Fish

Postby Wolfnight » Jan Sat 11, 2020 5:40 pm

You were right Bobber, 1 Horsetail trout saves the day. Fished five hours at the far end in the deep water . Wind nicely off my back but water temps a very cold 33. Had no bites until 3pm, then three bites in five minutes, landed one, then nothing else. It was as though someone switched on a light. Had to scale down to a Size 22 hook and 1lbs hook-length. Fished three blood-worm on the hook. Had to finish as temps dropped to 30 and the snow whipped up. Tight lines all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Pan Fish

Postby badger75 » Jan Sat 11, 2020 5:55 pm

Well that's no skunk. Nice trout
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby bobberwatcher » Jan Sat 11, 2020 8:49 pm

Nice! So cold and windy today- don't know how you handled it
bobberwatcher