Back at Tampier

Fishing information and reports for for the rest of the Cook County Forest Preserve District waters.

Back at Tampier

Postby Wolfnight » Jan Wed 15, 2020 6:42 pm

No skunk this time although as usual fishing very hard. Fished on the rocks on 131st Street. Caught 3 perch, 4 white bass and a crappie with a bunch of bloodworms on a size 22 hook to 1.5lb hook-line under a bobber. All small fish; total weight 498 grams (1.1lb in old money) but in the current conditions I will take it. All fish returned. Golden hour was between 3-4pm as light fell. Fish came on the feed even though water temps down to 32.5. The lake was flat calm but beginning to ice over. I suspect this maybe my last trip for now looking at the forecast. Sheriff Joe stopped behind me to have a natter. All good tight lines all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Pan Fish

Re: Back at Tampier

Postby catchafew » Jan Wed 15, 2020 9:51 pm

Nice report.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Jan Thu 16, 2020 7:22 am

Nice array of fish for cook county water. Odd combo of fish. Fun stuff.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SpecialEd » Jan Thu 16, 2020 10:32 am

Those actually appear to be yellow bass and it's a cool fish to see in those waters considering them as additional diversity of species. A nice mixed bag!
SpecialEd
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SpecialEd » Jan Thu 16, 2020 10:34 am

Wolfnight wrote:a bunch of bloodworms on a size 22 hook to 1.5lb hook-line under a bobber.

? Bloodworms ? Did you mean red worms? I've never seen bloodworms used for bait in freshwater, only saltwater.
SpecialEd
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby czambole » Jan Fri 17, 2020 10:20 am

There are some big, mean yellow/white bass in Tampier that occasionally will blast a topwater offering, mistaking it for a small shad. Most of the shad in Tampier are bigger than the yellow/white bass though.

Chris
czambole
Game Fish

Postby Wolfnight » Jan Fri 17, 2020 8:25 pm

SpecialEd wrote:
Wolfnight wrote:a bunch of bloodworms on a size 22 hook to 1.5lb hook-line under a bobber.

? Bloodworms ? Did you mean red worms? I've never seen bloodworms used for bait in freshwater, only saltwater.

Thanks for the heads up on the bass. As for the bloodworms, I use those in the picture. The larva of the midge, bloodworms are small bright red, segmented larva with a dark green head. They are the most natural freshwater bait you can find and the fish love them. They live in the silty bottom of most water-bodies. Tropical fish owners feed blood-worm to their fish. You can buy them frozen at Petsmart.

In my experienced opinion, bloodworms will catch you any fish that is willing to feed on the coldest of days. You are almost guaranteed bites. I use them when all other baits fail, although due to their size, very small hooks and very light line are a necessity. Tight lines all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Pan Fish

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jan Sat 18, 2020 11:34 am

Good stuff
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Other Cook County Forest Preserve Lakes