Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Sag quarry finally! 6/15

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Rambler 
#1 ·
Finally open and got out early this morning. Walked about 90% of the outer shoreline of the East quarry. Except the island that requires a walk across the logs which I always chicken out in fear of taking a swim. Weeds and cover is getting fairly thick. By end of the month my guess is it will only be frog fishing except on south shoreline. Caught a bunch of smaller bass and even a few micro ones. Walking back from the far back east side I tried one more corner I had success in the past and got hammered instantly by a hog. Choked my keitech swing impact bluegill flash 4" on a keitech round jig head 1/16 oz. Hooks are sharp and better be for what they cost. Didnt even realize i set it upside down with paddle tail facing wrong way but it worked still! I was nervous as hell when I got this hog to the rock ledge of the shoreline cause I was using the new line I never caught a fish with before today. Thought for sure it was going break off trying to grab it but it held thankfully! Went only 8 lbs on this p line cause last time I got 15 lb floroclear it was a mess on the spool. I would have been so pissed if I lost this fish! Had a split bottom lip. It was not a cut but a black natural split right in the middle. Pics below.. Hard to take the pics when the sun was glaring down and couldn't see my screen but a few came out okay.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Good bass. I have P line spoiled up on one of my setups. So far the only issue I see with it is the line looks deformed where I tighten the knot. I'm using an improved clinch knot. I always wet the line but it still deforms but it seems to hold fine.
~JOE~

#8 ·
What a couple of smart asses. All the guy's trying to do is make a living hawking shitty, fake leather jackets by practicing totally untargeted marketing & you 2 give him shit.

I mean, really...

#9 ·
ulrickaka said:
Men'S Faux Leather Jackets
Get the look of leather but at a more affordable price with faux leather jackets for men from Wilson's Leather. Shop our variety of vegan leather jacket including ...
ulric, you can go wipe your kaka with your toxic Naugahyde and polyester coats. It's going to be 87 degrees today in the Windy City and sunny. No one is going to be zipping up inside poorly constructed black PVC outfits any time soon. :thumbdown:

Try marketing them as 'Suicide Suits' to those who want to dress up like a shiny seal and swim in the shark infested waters of the east coast, just not here.

#11 ·
I took out my new PVC faux leather coat and tried the sag quarry yesterday evening. Focused on the east quarry as I usually do. Made it all the way to the back. Few small guys took my power worm but didn't set the hook. Fished till sunset. The bite only picked up right when sun started to get closer to the horizon. Two bass but nothing pic worthy. Bass seemed to be difficult to get out of the abundant cover to take swipe at my lures. Some giants swirling on far side of East quarry near the canal like area under the green muck. No interest what so ever in my pad crasher frog. Only seen one other angler catch a small bass. Difficult day out there for sure. One annoying occurrence was two very fast and violent hits on the daiwa neko senko I was trying out for the first time. Caught me so off gaurd I yelled "oh shit" then line went slack. Reeled up to see my worm gone and just a hook and my o-ring dangling on hook for my wacky rig. Might skip the ring next time I try the daiwa senko. I have seen some decent sized snapping turtles in this part of the quarry so possible one ripped it apart. Also I got no compliments on my cool leather jacket. Just a few odd looks. What's the refund policy? :)

Attachments

#13 ·
I like senko fishing even if it is painfully slow. I enjoy feeling the "tick" on the line and then setting the hook
I gave up on o rings some time ago. Now I use tiny rubber bands and wrap them about 3 times on the worm then I hook under the wraps.
~JOE~

#14 ·
I was throwing wacky worms at Lake Carlton a few years back. Something took it & started moving away slowly. Couldn't stop it or turn it. Finally the line snapped. A local told me there are big snappers in there & they do that all the time.

PS - if I ever see somebody fishing in a shitty fake leather jacket I'll stop & say hi. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.