Great read

Mayflies, caddis, damsels & dragons and more. Your place to discuss all things fly fishing.

Great read

Postby Rambler » Dec Tue 31, 2019 2:15 pm

A few months ago while fishing the west branch of the DuPage I got to talking with another fisherman. We got on the subject of fishing books and he suggested I get a copy of Remembrances of Rivers Past by Ernest Schweibert. I took his advice and got a copy.

Recently I finished a volume on Civil War history and decided to take a break from that genre (it's pretty much all I read these days) to take up the Schweibert book. Glad I did. He was a consummate fly fisher and the author of several books on the subject. This as the title says, covers many of the rivers he fished from the Pere Marquette and Manistee he fished as a boy to rivers in literally every corner of the Earth. While I find the frequency with which he and his fellow fishermen killed their catches (this was before C&R caught on) his descriptions of the rivers, the fish, the people and the surroundings are truly wonderful.

If you enjoy great fishing literature (even if you don't fly fish) I highly recommend this book.

And Happy New Year to all.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Great read

Postby Aux Pleins » Jan Thu 02, 2020 5:55 pm

Well alright alright. Just bought another bookshelf I need to fill.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Return to Fly Fishing