Hatch Magazine Article worth reading

Mayflies, caddis, damsels & dragons and more. Your place to discuss all things fly fishing.

Hatch Magazine Article worth reading

Postby Rambler » May Wed 12, 2021 4:27 pm

https://www.hatchmag.com/blog/fly-fishi ... rt/7715260

Found this intereting probably because I'm an old white guy.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Re: Hatch Magazine Article worth reading

Postby matt_ski » May Wed 12, 2021 6:30 pm

Influenza aka compulsive selfie disorder.

I wonder how would WCF be diagnosed.
matt_ski
Fishing Fanatic

Postby catchafew » May Wed 12, 2021 10:23 pm

Rambler,

I'm glad you broached this topic, I'd like to see more threads about deeper issues afflicting man. Unfortunately they'd likely breakdown into another session of Jerry Springer with the usual bickering from the usual suspects, myself included.

Technology helps us tap into more of our narcissistic side or this been the state of man since antiquity? I'm thinking we've always had this challenge but now the masses can enjoy the intoxicating wine of vanity that was reserved for nobility of yester year.

As I mellow into obscurity this evening, I think about my ancestors from Ireland and Poland. I wonder how they dealt with societal dysfunctions that rose from the man's weaker nature. Likely they were poor and couldn't indulge such questions beyond five minutes and they looked to their churches for order.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » May Thu 13, 2021 11:22 am

catchafew wrote:I'd like to see more threads about deeper issues afflicting man. Unfortunately they'd likely breakdown into another session of Jerry Springer with the usual bickering from the usual suspects, myself included.

No doubt true. Reminds me of back when I was a newbie I posted about just having had another diagnosis of skin cancer, the treatment I got & made a purely tongue-in-cheek comment about why God invented SPF 50. Some guy ripped into me about it. Not about my blasphemy (which I would have found entertaining) but about how God was a so & so because he allowed children to get cancer. As Rosanne Rosanadanna said, "It's always something".

catchafew wrote:Technology helps us tap into more of our narcissistic side or this been the state of man since antiquity? I'm thinking we've always had this challenge but now the masses can enjoy the intoxicating wine of vanity that was reserved for nobility of yester year.

Again, no doubt. An ever occurring pattern throughout human history is how leisure time increases as the sophistication of 'civilization' increases. This has accelerated alarmingly over my lifetime with the increasing availability & democratization of technology. If AI ever becomes self aware and begins critiquing us for our insipid use of its precursors we will indeed be in deep do-do.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Lip_Yanker » May Fri 14, 2021 11:20 am

Meh... To many weak minded blindly follow these so called "influencers". Way back, we called them money whores advertising for their sponsors, so nothing different than their title these days imo. I think there's more intoxicating whine of vanity these days that people thrive on for some reason. We've been working our way in to deep doo-doo for a long long time without the help of AI self awareness Neo.
Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Fly Fishing