Chicago Fishing Forum banner

NEW ORLEANS REDFISH

5K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Dr. Utssab 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Spent the holiday down in New Orleans and managed to fit in 2 days fly fishing for redfish.

Less than ideal conditions but we made the best of it. Limited sunshine made it tough to spot fish until we were right on top of them. Slightly stained water. Excuses...excuses.

We capitalized on the good chances we had, but spooked/saw a ton of big bull reds where we had MAYBE one cast to get it done.

Fly rod + wind + not hooking your partner or guide makes those opportunities quite hard.

My first and biggest came it at 30". I can't even describe how hard these fish fight. Imagine those huge bulls could take you 30 minutes or more to get in.

redfish2jpegsmall.jpg

95% of the time is spent stalking/looking. It's almost more similar to hunting than fishing really. Very cool to mix it up and get out of my usual comfort zone.

Love the spots on this fish below...and was really happy to seal the deal with one of the best casts I've ever had to make with two people screaming behind me and a fish that's hauling ass all over the place.

"12 o'clock 50 feet moving right to left.....no now left to right.....no no....right to left and heading towards us fast!!! CAST!!! CAST!!!!!!!"

redfish1jpegsmall.jpg

Great experience overall and learned a lot from a great guide. Next time I'll do some more research and book around favorable tides/conditions.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.