Never ending frustration with IDNR

Mayflies, caddis, damsels & dragons and more. Your place to discuss all things fly fishing.

Never ending frustration with IDNR

Postby Rambler » Feb Wed 10, 2021 10:34 am

Googling '2021 Illinois trout season' only shows info for last year. Seems the IDNR doesn't think anyone would like to know their plans for this year. This in spite of the fact that the opener is probably less than 60 days away.

The same was true in 2019 and 2020...sheeesh!
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Re: Never ending frustration with IDNR

Postby joetrain » Feb Wed 10, 2021 10:52 am

How dare you questioning the competence of the ruling overlords. You must remain silent or only offer words of praise. :D

Seriously though what did you expect?

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Feb Wed 10, 2021 11:36 am

Joe, you're right - what was I thinking? Crazy to think they'd have the imagination necessary to hire a high-school kid proficient in WordPress to do an update.

I'll go to my corner now and hang my head in shame
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby FloridaRigger » Feb Thu 11, 2021 9:21 pm

to be fair, I doubt the IDNR even knows which lakes they'll stock yet and if it is safe to do so.
FloridaRigger
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Feb Fri 12, 2021 12:45 pm

FloridaRigger wrote:to be fair, I doubt the IDNR even knows which lakes they'll stock yet and if it is safe to do so.

Excellent point.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby DPMike » Feb Fri 12, 2021 5:52 pm

To be fair, anything beginning with "I" is likely to be shytshow at this point.

Take your pick
IDNR
IDES
ISOS
Vaccinations
Subdivision Pond Slayer
DPMike
Game Fish

Postby FishinMatt » Feb Fri 12, 2021 7:44 pm

I've long given up trying to look at IDNR website to find dates Lake openings. It is a rudderless ship.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby Rambler » Feb Sun 14, 2021 1:26 pm

FishinMatt wrote:I've long given up trying to look at IDNR website to find dates Lake openings. It is a rudderless ship.

I knew I was asking too much. Guess I should be happy if they keep the shitters open & relatively clean during the season.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby minstrel » Feb Sun 14, 2021 5:07 pm

This past season they didn't even have the shitters open, they all had 'closed for the season' signs still up :roll:
minstrel
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Feb Mon 15, 2021 10:44 am

minstrel wrote:This past season they didn't even have the shitters open, they all had 'closed for the season' signs still up

I'm hoping they're open this season. One of the most challenging things of fishing for old farts is finding places to take a crap... :(
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby joetrain » Feb Sun 21, 2021 2:47 pm

Rambler the IDNR is the least of your worries. Read this and try to not let your head explode.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/madigan- ... st-350000/

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Grain » Feb Sun 21, 2021 3:15 pm

joetrain wrote:Rambler the IDNR is the least of your worries. Read this and try to not let your head explode.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/madigan- ... st-350000/

My understanding that you don't even have to work to get state pension, that there's a way (for the right people) to work for 6 months or so, buy into the pension and then retire.
Grain
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Rambler » Feb Mon 22, 2021 1:22 pm

Well, Madigan has to get something for all his years of hard work. All of it on top of the millions he made by making tax laws & practicing tax law. :shock: Can you say "conflict of interest?" I knew you could.

Grain wrote:My understanding that you don't even have to work to get state pension, that there's a way (for the right people) to work for 6 months or so, buy into the pension and then retire.

I've read of these instances. Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure they changed the law a few years ago to eliminate these loopholes.

All systems have loopholes. For example, when I became eligible for social security I was told if I signed up but suspended my benefits my wife could collect 50% of my benefits until she turned 70. So for several years she got what I called 'hazardous duty pay' just for being married to me. I'm at the upper end of social security payments so it came out to tens of thousands of dollars. A few years ago a bean counter at the SS Admin realized what was going on & they shit-canned it all. Fortunately we were grandfathered in.

So if social security goes belly up you'll know one of the reasons.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby joetrain » Feb Thu 25, 2021 12:38 pm

ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Feb Fri 26, 2021 8:47 am

joetrain wrote:And then there is this

https://wgntv.com/news/chicago-news/chi ... autoplay=0

I'm shocked, shocked at this. :lol:

Some years ago (here I go again) I was in Madison, WI to give a talk to the managers of several state government agencies. I won't bore you with what I was talking to them about.

I was sitting there waiting my turn to get up in front of them & overheard 2 people sitting in front of me talking in hushed tones about something "awful". I said, "Sorry to eavesdrop but what's so awful?" They told me one of their legislators had gotten caught having staffers work on campaign stuff during state business hours.

I laughed. I told them, "I'm from Illinois - when we find our legislators not doing that we have them arrested. We're thinking of changing the law so we can inaugurate and indict governors at the same time. Much more efficient that way."

They got a real charge out of that. Too bad it's so close to the truth.

PS: Back to the original topic of this thread - I emailed the IDNR & asked if they could send me info on the 2021 trout stocking program. That was last week. Still no word.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Lip_Yanker » Feb Fri 26, 2021 10:59 am

Rambler wrote: PS: Back to the original topic of this thread - I emailed the IDNR & asked if they could send me info on the 2021 trout stocking program. That was last week. Still no word.

I wouldn't hold your breath. My FOID renewal has been "pending" for almost 3 months. My CCL was 5 1/2 months to get the physical renewal license in hand and I had to contact the ISP a few times to get it that quick. :roll:

Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Feb Fri 26, 2021 11:23 am

I have an opposing story regarding Illinois government.

Some months ago I happened to look up unclaimed assets on the states website. I found out that I had 2 claims. One was for the small amount of $11 and change and the other was for $1267. I figured I would file the claim for the lesser amount first just to see what the process was and how long it would take. Filed online then had to send in some paperwork proving I once lived at the former address. About a month goes by and I receive my check for the $11.

Now for the big money. This claim required a bit more paperwork because I was claiming assets owed to my sister who had passed away. I was her legal guardian but I didn’t know about this money that was hers. I sent in the paperwork and about a month later I received an email that my claim was under review and I needed to amend some of the papers I filed. I wasn’t quite sure as to what they were requiring so I called the number and someone actually answered and this person was extremely nice and helpful. She took the time to explain what was needed and the next day I sent off the amended forms. Now I’m hopeful that soon I’ll have my moolah.

So you can see that even though it is rare there is some competence in Illinois govt.

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Feb Fri 26, 2021 3:52 pm

joetrain wrote:So you can see that even though it is rare there is some competence in Illinois govt.

OK Joe - I'll see your story & raise you one.

Like you, a few years ago I went to the state gov website & found that Illinois owed my mother a good sum of money. As she was deceased & I was the executor of her estate I filed the appropriate paperwork.

After a few months I received notification that I had sent the wrong stuff. I called the number included, talked with a person (a very nice, friendly woman) and resent the paperwork with the "corrected" info.

A few weeks later I received another notification that I had sent the wrong stuff. I called again and was told the same thing. I resent it all.

It happened again! Got a notification that my paperwork wasn't correct.

I got fed up & took it all to my local state senator's office. For the record, I have always avoided politics (other than as an interesting discussion topic and in voting). I walked into the office & was greeted by a nice woman. When I told her my name she said, "Are you related to .....?" I said yes and explained how. Then I explained the situation.

After hearing me out she agreed something didn't seem right. She said, "Just a minute - let me make a call." She picked up the phone & dialed a #. She spoke with someone for just a couple minutes. I didn't really pay attention to what was said but when she hung up she said, "You should get your check next week." I thanked her and left. True to her word I received a check for the whole amount the next week.

So while there might be instances of competency here & there in Illinois it's clear that it's not what you know but who you know.

As the man said, "We don't want nobody nobody sent".
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Grain » Feb Fri 26, 2021 9:36 pm

Lip_Yanker wrote:My FOID renewal has been "pending" for almost 3 months. My CCL was 5 1/2 months to get the physical renewal license in hand and I had to contact the ISP a few times to get it that quick. :roll:

That's not surprising - everyone in their right mind are getting one if they don't have it.
Grain
Fishing Fanatic

Postby joetrain » Feb Sat 27, 2021 6:16 am

Now that I moved to NC my Illinois concealed carry is no longer valid because of the address change. NC is an open carry state but to conceal a license is needed. When I got my Illinois license I also applied for and got a Florida permit which is recognized by the state of NC. Since NC recognizes my Florida license no need for me to get the NC license but to purchase a firearm I need a “permit to purchase” which is issued by the county sheriffs office. I applied in person and paid the $5 fee. Had my permit issued in 3 days. Only one firearm purchase per permit and the permit is good for 5 years.

I hope in my lifetime this state doesn’t turn into the ****show Illinois has become.

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Fly Fishing