Big H 5/1 - 5/2

Heidecke Lake - Morris, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

Big H 5/1 - 5/2

Postby Bobba Down » May Sun 03, 2015 10:25 pm

5/1

Got out there in the pm, just as the IHSA tourney was wrapping up. Didnt hear how they ended up, or what winning weight was as I was more preoccupied with getting on the water myself. I have caught a number of crappie at Heid, but always while targeting other species. One of my goals when I set out was to not only target crappie, but to catch a "would-be limit". First spot I started, where I believed the crappie should be staging I started flipping fatheads under a slip bobber. First 5-6 tosses were snatched up immediately. Took some effort to grind out the rest, but I finally ended with a "limit" of slabs. (all fish released) Probably 2/3 were black crappie, and the rest whites. All fish were 10-14".

I got bored just watching a bobber, so I started multi-tasking by tossing gulp minnows and swimbaits. Probably lost as many fish as I caught by having the wrong rod in my hand at the time. Also caught 3 dink largemouth, 2 dink smallies, and a decent one white casting jigs.

After scratching out my final crappie, I jumped spots hoping to pick up an eye or two, casting a rocky flat I found earlier. After about 20 mins of casting, I picked up one "barely legal" eye on a ripple shad.

I had plans to come back out in the am, so I decided to call it an early night after that and get home in time for dinner.

5/2

What. A. Circus.

There was some junior bassmaster tournament on the water, in addition to the probably 60+ non-tournament boats enjoying the beautiful calm morning. This was combat fishing at its finest. Every ledge, ever hump, and every stretch of shoreline was lined up with boats waiting to pound the same water. My first few choices of spots were all occupied. Ended up finding a shallow flat that has been producing lately and just had to get in line, and fish behind other boats. We found fish, and continued to make passes over the same flat (usually behind the rotation of boats coming through) all morning. Caught a nice mix of whites and yellows, 8 walleye, and plenty of drum. Whites and yellows wanted something moving. Eyes and drum seemed to want a slow jig. Dragging and sometimes even still on the bottom. 6 shorts, a 19" and two real nice fish.

Saw a lot of fish caught trolling. Crappie, eyes, and even a couple stripers. Its not my thing, but I may have to give that a shot out there soon. It looked pretty fun as a couple boats seemed to be reeling in doubles of crappie on every pass.

One guy stopped to show me a probably ~24" walleye he found floating, with what looked like about a 10" crappie lodged in its throat. Just goes to show you, you cant throw too large of a bait. :shock:

For now, I think I may avoid weekends out on the lake. Even the over flow lot was filling up. It was crazy busy. Heres to hoping the rain holds off enough this week to slip out a time or two :lol:
Bobba Down
Fishing Czar

Re: Big H 5/1 - 5/2

Postby Busse Jim » May Sun 03, 2015 11:21 pm

IHSA tourney weigh-ins are fun times, cool to see some great fish and a chance to encourage some future fishing champs.
Once again nice post and some great multi-species fish!! :clap: Tearing it up out there! nice walleyes, nice fish all around :thumbup:
Been thinking about Busse eyes all winter, just haven't or can't get out enough to pattern them over the last few years :( :mrgreen: so keep em coming!
Trollings a great time to relax and eat on those long days out, suprising how many times your interrupted with a decent fish. I need to do it more again at Busse. But definitely drains the battery :lol:
Busse Jim
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » May Mon 04, 2015 4:24 am

Wow nice eyes. The crappies were good size too. I have to get to Heidi.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby HnG » May Mon 04, 2015 7:52 am

Impressive BD!!
HnG
Fishing Fanatic

Postby FISHdank » May Mon 04, 2015 8:13 am

Nice mixed bag for sure, some slab crappies! !
I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
FISHdank
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby achotrod » May Mon 04, 2015 10:21 am

Way to slay em!
achotrod
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » May Mon 04, 2015 10:46 am

Crappies and walleyes! Does it get any better?

Some of the best crappie pics I've seen this season.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby wiktor911 » May Mon 04, 2015 2:57 pm

Nice job there
wiktor911
Fishing Czar

Postby Skifish1 » May Mon 04, 2015 6:38 pm

I'm mega jealous of that mixed bag of beauties
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby krispydave » May Mon 04, 2015 6:47 pm

Nice report and pics!
krispydave
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby jmdog2003 » May Mon 04, 2015 7:06 pm

I haven't fished for two weeks. Thanks for rubbing it in 8)
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby bear2cheese » Jul Fri 15, 2016 10:55 am

I like Crappies and would find it hard to release.
bear2cheese

Return to Heidecke Lake