Hitting Heidecke 6/17/06.... Few Q's

Heidecke Lake - Morris, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

Hitting Heidecke 6/17/06.... Few Q's

Postby Unit38 » Jun Wed 14, 2006 11:04 am

Well I haven't been to Heidecke in a few years now, I had decent luck the few time I rented a boat and fished it b4 so I figured me and the GF get out there this Sat.

Well heres my questions, are the minnows at the consession decent to use "Bass minnows" or should I just pick up some Med. Roaches and or fatheads? Im also going to bring cralwers, maybe some leaches, liver and baby crayfish....

I also have countless amounts of cranks and spinners that I'll be throwing (mostly cranks), any colors better then others that I should focus on or how about depts?


Thanks
Joe
Unit38
Minnow
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Jun Tue 13, 2006 12:58 pm
Location: ChiTown

Postby Augy » Jun Wed 14, 2006 12:04 pm

A few of us were out there about a month ago but fished from shore. Nothing to brag about. We were right at the super low bridge. We picked up several smaller eyes from medium fatheads dragged along the bottom. I picked up a couple smallies, one off x-rap and one off jig and minnow. One technique that I definately want to try is using cut up bluegill. One guy caught a huge, probably 15+ lb striper using this method.

As far as the bait shop, we used medium roaches and crawlers the previous outing when we rented the boat from Greybeard's. Steve is a super sweet dude. I'm not much of a roach user so I couldn't tell you the quality of them but they seemed alright to me. But, I can tell you that the crawlers he had were the largest, plumpest, juiciest crawlers I have ever used.

Jason threw chicken livers the size of baseballs but didn't hook up. Hope that helps and good luck out there. I'll have to head out there sometime soon.

Augy
Augy
Hooker
 
Posts: 2602
Joined: Oct Sat 08, 2005 1:59 pm

Postby Unit38 » Jun Wed 14, 2006 1:09 pm

Augy wrote:A few of us were out there about a month ago but fished from shore. Nothing to brag about. We were right at the super low bridge. We picked up several smaller eyes from medium fatheads dragged along the bottom. I picked up a couple smallies, one off x-rap and one off jig and minnow. One technique that I definately want to try is using cut up bluegill. One guy caught a huge, probably 15+ lb striper using this method.

As far as the bait shop, we used medium roaches and crawlers the previous outing when we rented the boat from Greybeard's. Steve is a super sweet dude. I'm not much of a roach user so I couldn't tell you the quality of them but they seemed alright to me. But, I can tell you that the crawlers he had were the largest, plumpest, juiciest crawlers I have ever used.

Jason threw chicken livers the size of baseballs but didn't hook up. Hope that helps and good luck out there. I'll have to head out there sometime soon.

Augy
Thanks for the info.....
Unit38
Minnow
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Jun Tue 13, 2006 12:58 pm
Location: ChiTown

Postby FishinMatt » Jun Fri 16, 2006 11:43 am

I was out Tuesday and we hooked a few fish trolling Raps in 8-12 feet. Previous reports said to have the baits bouncing bottom, but we picked all ours up on one that only went down about 8 feet. If you can make it under the bridge with your boat, the North side seems to outfish the South on many days. Good luck :D

Image
User avatar
FishinMatt
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 5823
Joined: Oct Tue 25, 2005 9:41 pm
Location: Aurora

Postby Unit38 » Jun Fri 16, 2006 3:42 pm

Nice Walleye and thanks for the info...
Unit38
Minnow
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Jun Tue 13, 2006 12:58 pm
Location: ChiTown

Postby Augy » Jun Mon 19, 2006 5:23 pm

so how'd you do???
Augy
Hooker
 
Posts: 2602
Joined: Oct Sat 08, 2005 1:59 pm

Postby BravesFan » Jun Mon 19, 2006 5:29 pm

Nice walleye, Matt. Looks like it could've used your shades :)
User avatar
BravesFan
Game Fish
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Nov Sat 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby Unit38 » Jun Tue 20, 2006 7:47 am

What a nightmare....
We were the first ones there about 5:30am, the DNR opened the gate at 6 and told me to hold to let in about 10 boats first so I did. Now Im in line behind the boats tryin to get into the parking lot well they launch. Right b4 I pull into the lot a car pulls next to me with 3 guys in it, one gets out and runs up the stairs as I got outta my car. So we go in the trailer and hes renting a boat and getting some bait we'll his buddys parked the car and come in. So Im next and ask for a boat she tells me there out.... Well that about set me off and I flipped well the guy was still there, he walked out well I asked the lady where else I can rent a boat. She had no clue so I went outside and the 3 of them were standing there and I flipped again and scared the crap outta them ( can't help it I was pissed and waited all that time 1st to get a boat, they saw me waiting and still drove around everybody in line), well needless to say I flipped again and told them how I felt and scared the sh!t outta them and they ended up giving me the boat.... He knew he was wrong.
Well thats not the end of the nightmare either, we get the stuff on the boat and it was there 15hp one and we head out. We hit the first spot with nothing and decide to go to the north end of the lake under the bridge. We get there and drop ancor, we caught a few nice cats (got pics haven't uploaded yet). Figured we'd move...... DAMN MOTOR WONT START, so for 2 hours we were stuck. I had to call my house to get the # so she can get us a tow in. No answer, after 2 hours I get the damn thing started after almost ripping my arm off pullin the "pull start cord". We head back in and she said she was very sorry and got my Moms message and called someone that had a boat to come get us cause the 2 of there non rental boats didn't work either. She gave me 20 outta the 40 back for the rental but what a damn nightmare.

I did see a very nice size Musky that was half dead swimming near the dock and well we were stuck a huge beaver swam 2 feet from the boat. I aslo got a pic from when we were in line by ourselves and a deer walked a few feet infront of us in the truck.....

I can't believe how they let these boats and motor go to hell at that place. Last time I was there they had 5 or 6 working boats now they only had 3 and 2 were down, then we end up gettin there other one that died well we were on it.

UNREAL, it really ruined my week since I been thinking about going and had planned this for about a week. I was better off fishing the river like I normally do, the next day I got 9 LM Bass with 2 being over 3 #s and go figure I forgot my camera.........
Unit38
Minnow
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Jun Tue 13, 2006 12:58 pm
Location: ChiTown

Heidecke Lake Fishing

Postby JasonN » Jun Tue 20, 2006 9:50 am

Yow! What an experience!

This is Steve's (Greybeards) first year renting boats at Heidecke. It was a different concessionaire in years past. He has said that he is starting with only 3 boats because, well, he is just starting out. Give him time though. He's a super nice guy and i'm sure the kinks will be worked out.

As for the guy who got in front of you, plain and simple... he was an asshole. But at least you stood up for yourself and got the boat (thought since in broke down the other guy might have been better off getting it instead of you!)

And don't be afraid to give the shore fishing a chance. Sometimes it's actually easier than getting a boat.
Jason W. Norris
Managing Editor - WindyCityFishing.com
User avatar
JasonN
WCF Managing Editor
 
Posts: 5330
Joined: Oct Sat 08, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Niles, IL

Re: Heidecke Lake Fishing

Postby Unit38 » Jun Tue 20, 2006 10:19 am

JasonN wrote:Yow! What an experience!

This is Steve's (Greybeards) first year renting boats at Heidecke. It was a different concessionaire in years past. He has said that he is starting with only 3 boats because, well, he is just starting out. Give him time though. He's a super nice guy and i'm sure the kinks will be worked out.

As for the guy who got in front of you, plain and simple... he was an asshole. But at least you stood up for yourself and got the boat (thought since in broke down the other guy might have been better off getting it instead of you!)

And don't be afraid to give the shore fishing a chance. Sometimes it's actually easier than getting a boat.
I understand I really am not blaming them for what happened but they could update ya on the website, Ive been lookin and they show a ton of nice boats and availability. Thats wasn't the case, there motors they had really need to be freshened up to...
Unit38
Minnow
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Jun Tue 13, 2006 12:58 pm
Location: ChiTown

Postby BravesFan » Jun Tue 20, 2006 10:25 am

Hey Joe, sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. It's good to hear that you got some pay back with a good outing on the river the next day. Try not to let it bug you too much.
User avatar
BravesFan
Game Fish
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Nov Sat 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby Unit38 » Jun Tue 20, 2006 10:54 am

BravesFan wrote:Hey Joe, sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. It's good to hear that you got some pay back with a good outing on the river the next day. Try not to let it bug you too much.
Few times back ont he lake front and I was over it.....
Unit38
Minnow
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Jun Tue 13, 2006 12:58 pm
Location: ChiTown

Postby Augy » Jun Tue 20, 2006 12:43 pm

man that blows! :x you know, sometimes just hanging out on shore with a couple buddies is way more relaxing than being on a boat. it's alot of work fishing from a boat. anchor down...anchor up...start the boat...shutdown the boat...wind blows you this way and that way...you get the picture. Glad you at least caught some fish tho.
Augy
Hooker
 
Posts: 2602
Joined: Oct Sat 08, 2005 1:59 pm


Return to Heidecke Lake

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests