Fishing Information & Reports

Hows fishing at Heidecke?

Postby Absyne » Aug Tue 11, 2015 11:18 pm

Anyone been fishing here recently?
Absyne
Game Fish

Re: Hows fishing at Heidecke?

Postby bear2cheese » Jul Fri 15, 2016 10:56 am

I'm going Saturday 7/16/16 and will post what happens.
bear2cheese

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jul Fri 15, 2016 11:16 am

From everything I gather and have seen first-hand recently, it's pretty much done for the season as far as walleye and crappie go, bear. You won't be able to fish there past October 7th, I believe, as it closes 10 days prior to waterfowl season. I'm friends with a guy who guides there, and he said it's definitely not worth it for the walleye anymore. The crappie were never really going hot and heavy this year like years past because of our messed up spring. You could probably go cast for some stripers or wipers, or troll for them, but last time out was probably close to a month ago, and we got nothing but short walleyes in the 10-15 inch range, and lots and lots of sheephead/drum trolling live bait harnesses and cranks. Lots of decent size yellows and whites. Had one keeper size walleye that came in about 16 1/2". By the time the fall bite gets going for walleye and crappie there, you won't be able to fish it anymore. I'd say head somewhere else, honestly. Just my opinion. I won't be back there again until next spring, and I'm someone who loves that lake and fishes it a lot in spring and early summer. As far as other species of fish, I'm not quite sure on reports. Don't really fish it for anything other than walleye and crappie. So you may be able to go there and try to get into some other species other than what I've listed here.

If you're looking for walters, your best bet is to probably hit the Illinois River down near Hennepin or Spring Valley.

Also, Absyne's post here was from almost a year ago. Not sure if you noticed that.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Jul Fri 15, 2016 12:12 pm

fish where you want dude. dont let someone elses poor outing make up your mind for you. this site is not the end all be all. who knows, you could go out and have a spectacular outing. theres only one way to find out.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jul Fri 15, 2016 12:33 pm

urbanHog312 wrote:

fish where you want dude. dont let someone elses poor outing make up your mind for you. this site is not the end all be all. who knows, you could go out and have a spectacular outing. theres only one way to find out.

Why the hostility? :eh:

I'm offering my opinion to him, something to which I'm pretty sure I'm entitled to. I'm trying to save him some time if he's going for certain species, as I am friends with a guy who guides out there and on the Illinois River, and is taking clients to the Illinois River instead. Not to mention I fish there a ton, especially the last 3-4 years, so I'm pretty confident in my assessment, and the patterns of the lake. A pattern that repeats itself year in and year out on that body of water.

And it's not just this site. There's a reason you're not seeing Heidecke reports on ANY of the Chicago sites right now. Because there's nothing special to report on. I offered my opinion to head somewhere else. That is all. Never told him he can't go fish it, or shouldn't. Isn't this the whole reason for this site? Fishing reports and information? Pretty sure all I did was provide some information, and I'm sure he can make his own decision based upon it. Even stated that it was only in relation to the walleye and crappie bite, and said I'm sure he could go out and catch some other species of which I don't really fish for, and am not familiar with there.

I'm sure he could go catch some whites and yellows, cats, smallies and largies, etc. Was passing on info in regards to the walleye and crappie.

Oh, and for the record... that "poor outing" a month ago wasn't a poor outing. It was a 100+ fish outing among three guys in 5 hours, just not the right species or sizes for us. Oh, and said guide was ALSO on the water with us that day in his boat, and had the same results. So yeah....
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby bear2cheese » Jul Mon 18, 2016 8:57 am

I didn't get 1 bite 7 am to bout 12 pm!
bear2cheese

Postby bear2cheese » Jul Mon 18, 2016 9:06 am

It's all Good urbanHog312, I appreciate the advice. I tried and nothing happened, Ill try somewhere else. We went to Milliken Lake after and at least the turtles made my bobber move a little. Caught 4 small blue gills.
bear2cheese

Postby WetWader » Jul Tue 19, 2016 2:11 pm

bear2cheese wrote:It's all Good urbanHog312, I appreciate the advice. I tried and nothing happened, Ill try somewhere else. We went to Milliken Lake after and at least the turtles made my bobber move a little. Caught 4 small blue gills.

They opened Miliken back up to the public? It had been closed the last couple years due to a major fish kill from the bad winter a few years ago.
WetWader
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Heidecke Lake