Heidecke Solo Slam+1 Friday 04/28/17 and Sunday Pond Bass

Heidecke Lake - Morris, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

Heidecke Solo Slam+1 Friday 04/28/17 and Sunday Pond Bass

Postby SmalliesNEyes » May Mon 01, 2017 10:47 am

Got out to Heidecke on Friday after playing a little hooky from work. Woke up at 5:30am for work... let the dogs out, and decided it was too nice out with the terribly forecast weekend, and made the decision to go solo with a late start. Fridays at work are always slow, anyways. Haha.

Got the dogs fed and let out, etc. Hooked the boat up, gassed up the truck, and was on my way. Got on the water about 8am.

Set out to hit some of my waypoints out there... and lost my console graph/gps in the first 2 minutes of running out. Hit enter on the Lowrance to bypass the warning screen, and it just went black. Tried messing with connections and stuff to no avail for about 10 minutes just floating around in the middle of the lake. Gave up as I figured it was a fuse, and I'd just use the front graph most the day anyways. For whatever reason, my spare fuses weren't in the boat where they normally are, so I didn't bother even checking it. Was 99% positive that's what it was, though. I fished some areas I knew produce fish, just couldn't pinpoint my exact spots/waypoints like I wanted to as there are specific ledges, humps, and structure that I couldn't quite find.

Setup off the center wall in 5-7 FOW on the south side on a spot I know produces fish, and usually a mixed bag.

Fished a ledge that dropped from 4.5FOW to 7.2FOW vertical jigging a jig and minnow, as well as casting a shadrap. I managed about 20 bites throughout the morning, nothing hot and heavy, but steady production. All on the jig and minnow. Off this one ledge, I pulled a grand slam+1 of species with half a dozen crappies, two smallies, a decent striper, two sheephead, and 3 walleye, all shorts around 15 inches. With a few missed bites thrown in.

Brought home 3 bigger crappie and the striper for dinner Friday night. Smallies, walleyes, and sheephead all went back in the drink. As did the 3 smaller crappie. All of the fish caught on a medium light spinning setup with 4lb P-Line Floroclear using a 1/8oz silver glitter jig tipped with a minnow. Which was a blast for the smallies and striper. Couldn't get anything to go on plastics or cranks today. They wanted meat.

Not a bad day for a spur-of-the-moment trip, and beats working any day! First solo-mission on my boat, also. So that was fun. Much easier to launch it solo than I expected. Lots of guys out Friday that must have had the same idea as me with the poor forecast for the weekend. When I launched at 8, there were at least 30 trailers in the lot already, if not more. Most guys fishing the north side. Had a handful of boats with me on the south side. Everyone seemed to be catching a few fish here and there, though. When I got home, I climbed in the boat once it was in the garage, checked under the console, and sure enough, was a blown fuse. Ran out and grabbed some, replaced it, and voila! Graph is back. And the spare fuses went right into the compartment they should have been in Friday morning. :lol:

By Sunday... after cabin fever with all the water dumped on us over 2 days, I had the itch again, and needed to scratch it. Hit the pond by my house for about 30 minutes between storms.

Thought I was in for a treat as I walked up, fired a cast off with a perch pattern chatter tipped with a bluegill Kalin's grub, and hooked up on my first cast not even 2-3 cranks into the retrieve. Walked the entire way around the lake and didn't manage another bite, and then storms started to dump on us again, so I called it a day going 1 for 1 with a decent size greenie. Probably 17 inches and 2-2.5 lbs. They're definitely getting fat in the ponds, though!

This weekend is looking like a much nicer weekend to be out! Hopefully the current forecast holds up. If it does, I'll be getting my daughter out somewhere Saturday morning, more than likely.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Heidecke Solo Slam+1 Friday 04/28/17 and Sunday Pond Bas

Postby Darkstar72 » May Mon 01, 2017 12:26 pm

Nice catching!! I'm sure you'll get all the extra bits in the boat once you have lessons like that. :)

Still, being able to catch without electronics gives the story that much more cool factor to it.
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby RonG » May Mon 01, 2017 12:38 pm

Nice mixed baggage!

Without my electronics I would have packed up and driven home. Without a fishing rod, I still would have found a way to fish and stayed. Good job!
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby SmalliesNEyes » May Mon 01, 2017 12:40 pm

Darkstar72 wrote:Nice catching!! I'm sure you'll get all the extra bits in the boat once you have lessons like that. :)

Still, being able to catch without electronics gives the story that much more cool factor to it.

Had the front graph, still, but none of my waypoints on the console graph/gps unit. The front graph has hardly any waypoints, as I typically mark them as I'm slowly idling around with the big motor marking structure, ledges, humps, ditches, and pods of fish, or based off areas I've fished that were productive in the past. I do try to keep some landmarks and spots pegged in my brain, so I was able to get on this spot using that method, found the ledge with the front graph, found the fish sitting on it, and had a ball. It's kinda nice being out in the boat fishing by yourself every once in a while, honestly. Something I hadn't done, yet. Don't have 2-3 different opinions of what to do, what to throw, areas to target, etc. Could just do what I wanted without having to please anyone else, and caught enough to keep me happy.

And yeah, definitely seem to be missing something every time I take the boat out. And just keep adding things to storage compartments as I come across the things I need. At least I know, now, that there are three different types of fuses in the boat/truck to fit all the different types that are used. :lol:
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Heidecke Lake