Heidecke - 05/06/17 - 9yo Daughter Outfishes Everyone

Heidecke Lake - Morris, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

Heidecke - 05/06/17 - 9yo Daughter Outfishes Everyone

Postby SmalliesNEyes » May Mon 08, 2017 11:18 am

So I had some time before a family party on Saturday, so my 9yo daughter and I hit up Heidecke on the boat with my friend John. We got out there and launched around 6:10am, with a fairly brisk breeze out of the east/northeast. We motored out to a hump, and I baited a minnow on my daughter's jig, and had her cast it out about 10 feet from the boat. I'm working on teaching her how to work a jig so she can vertical jig and cast and work a jig on her own soon, so I had her setup with a 1/8oz orange/white jig tipped with a minnow, and a slip bobber set about 8 feet deep so she could twitch the jig, drag it, swim it, etc. without worrying about hanging on the bottom since she doesn't quite have it down by feel yet, especially with lighter jigs, and also use the bobber to see bites as she's not quite got the feel of a bite down yet, either. The area we fished initially was a hump that comes up to 6FOW for about 15-20 feet, sorrounded by 10-14FOW on all sides. We were going to drift and jig the hump. Before I could even get my jig and plastic down there on the bottom, I look over at my daughter silently battling a fish with a solid bend in the rod. Looks like she won the bet for first fish, I thought. She didn't even holler out that she had one, as she's started to learn the art of stealth when fishing heavily pressured waters like Big H. She got the fish close to the boat, and I leaned over and grabbed it for her. Her first walleye ever, right around 13-14 inches, pictured below.

She proceeded to catch 3 more walleye this same way, drifting her jig over the edge of the hump as we made drift passes, twitching it, popping it, and slowly reeling it in.

Me and John only managed one apiece doing our own vertical jigging as we drifted, both also shorts. I also picked up a nice sheephead, which was probably around 3-4lbs, which is always fun on 4lb test and light gear. That one went back in the drink.

The wind kicked up and started ripping straight out of the north, so we moved under the bridge to the north side of the lake where it was a little bumpier, and started trolling cranks for them, as boat control would be next to impossible to handle for crappie or vertical jigging, and the bumpier side of the lake usually does better for trolling. About 5 minutes into our first pass, the back rod holder goes off with a nice bend. John grabbed the rod out of the holder and passed it to Tessa, and she was battling her first trolling fish ever!

She fought it to the boat, and I netted it for her as it was our only keeper-size walleye of the day. It was a fat male that clocked in at 16 1/4. She wanted to keep it, so into the livewell it went.

We finished the day up pulling the boat out at noon, calling it early as the wind/waves continued to get worse, and Tessa and I had a family party to attend for my Dad's and sister's birthdays at 4.

Tessa ended up with 5 walleye total on her first day ever jigging/trolling for them, including her very first one. I ended up with 3 fish, a sheephead, a walleye, and a decent yellow bass. John ended up with a good yellow, and a walleye. Only fish kept was Tessa's first keeper size walleye.

She outfished us both, and hit for the cycle taking all of first fish, most fish, and biggest fish bets(we limited this to walleye only). If we hadn't brought her with, it would have been a very uneventful day out there!

Talked to everyone who came in (and lots of boats were coming in when we did due to the wind/waves, and lack of a bite. Very few fish caught. Our friend Mike was out there and got one crappie and one 22 inch walleye, and that was it. Numerous other boats reported only one or two fish caught.

Water temps were 51 degrees..... and all fish came in the range of 10-14FOW. Those water temps need to come back up to turn the bite back on there... two weeks ago it was 10 degrees warmer... a week ago it was 7 degrees warmer.

All in all, was a fun day, and an eventful one for my daughter!
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Heidecke - 05/06/17 - 9yo Daughter Outfishes Everyone

Postby Aux Pleins » May Mon 08, 2017 11:27 am

Good to hear from Heidi.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby minstrel » May Mon 08, 2017 11:43 am

She is quite the angler! :D What fun. Too bad the adults didn't catch much...
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Postby urbanHog312 » May Mon 08, 2017 11:54 am

badass!
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » May Mon 08, 2017 12:08 pm

Nice. Those are the best days when the kids get them. You should try her out at sports betting.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Fonzie » May Mon 08, 2017 12:45 pm

SmalliesNEyes,

Were many boats going under the bridge?
Do you think if I remove my single console windshield off of my 16' boat as usual, I could slip under the bridge ?

Lo the angler. He riseth in the early morning and upsetteth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth with great hope in his heart and when the day is far spent, he returneth, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him.
Fonzie
Game Fish

Postby SmalliesNEyes » May Mon 08, 2017 12:53 pm

Fonzie wrote:SmalliesNEyes,

Do you think if I remove my single console windshield off of my 16' boat as usual, I could slip under the bridge ?

Lots of boats on the north side. I have a 17 foot semi deep v with a single console and windshield and made it under with about 3 inches to spare. Lots of boats making it under. You shouldn't have a problem.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby WanderOff09 » May Mon 08, 2017 4:43 pm

So great to see pics of kids fishing. Congrats to her on her first walleye. They are one of my daughter's favorite species as well. Heidecke is so close to me, but I rarely go. I should change that.
WanderOff09
Game Fish

Postby busse bass man » May Tue 09, 2017 5:23 am

Congrats to her on her 1st-5th eye! Nothing like seeing the kids pull out some fish.
busse bass man
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » May Tue 09, 2017 6:13 am

Great report. If she's 9 you have maybe 3 years before living in hell. Do you have a 12 gauge? You will need one. :D
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » May Tue 09, 2017 10:44 am

Great job getting the kids on fish!
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » May Tue 09, 2017 10:56 am

I hope she continues her streak :mrgreen:
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby SmalliesNEyes » May Tue 09, 2017 10:59 am

Rambler wrote:Great report. If she's 9 you have maybe 3 years before living in hell. Do you have a 12 gauge? You will need one. :D

Haha, you're absolutely right with this daughter. My older daughter is 16, and will finish up her sophomore year in HS in a few weeks. She's the good one. The academic. The reader. No drinking, no drugs, and still chooses not to wear makeup or dress in more than sweatpants and a hoodie to go to school.

This little one is the one that will be my problem child. :shock:

She's 9, into heels/shoes/fashion. Wants to wear makeup already. Is active on all kinds of social media like snapchat, etc. Has an attitude that does NOT match her small stature... She's the one who will give me hell in a few years. I just want to keep her interested in fishing. Maybe it'll keep her out of some trouble down the road. The older one enjoys fishing too, but she's a HS girl. She prefers to sleep all day on weekends as opposed to waking up at 4am to go fishing with me.

And no 12 gauge. But I have a 9mm, and I can put 3/3 shots in the center circle at 25 feet with it. :lol:
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » May Tue 09, 2017 11:00 am

RonG wrote:I hope she continues her streak :mrgreen:

Me too! She keeps us busy on the boat. I'll take unhooking her fish to catching my own 10/10 times.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » May Tue 09, 2017 11:47 am

SmalliesNEyes wrote:And no 12 gauge. But I have a 9mm, and I can put 3/3 shots in the center circle at 25 feet with it. :lol:

Just leave it unloaded on the coffee table when 'they' come sniffing around.

I've always said the way we know God has an 'interesting' sense of humor is that he makes us adolescent boys before he makes us dads of attractive adolescent girls. Just one of those mysteries of the universe...
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Fonzie » May Tue 09, 2017 12:53 pm

SmalliesNEyes wrote:

Lots of boats on the north side. I have a 17 foot semi deep v with a single console and windshield and made it under with about 3 inches to spare. Lots of boats making it under. You shouldn't have a problem.

Gracias !

Lo the angler. He riseth in the early morning and upsetteth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth with great hope in his heart and when the day is far spent, he returneth, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him.
Fonzie
Game Fish

Postby RonG » May Tue 09, 2017 1:06 pm

SmalliesNEyes wrote:

What if you get hit with a 4" wake or wave? :wink:
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby SmalliesNEyes » May Tue 09, 2017 1:07 pm

RonG wrote:
SmalliesNEyes wrote:

What if you get hit with a 4" wake or wave? :wink:

Haha. Then I guess I'm banging my trolling motor off the bridge.

Joking aside, there was a pretty damn good chop out there on Saturday morning with the wind ripping from the north, and we still had the 3 inches to spare.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Heidecke Lake