Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Best Day of Fishing in my life...

6K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  McChou 
#1 ·
Been a while since I have posted anything since I haven't had many fishing trips worth noting as of late.
I took off last Friday to go up to my dads and I favorite fishing spot. Water was very high from all the rain in Wisconsin, which is usually a recipe for success in October. Water was way too high to fish off my kayak so I waded and caught some giants off the shore by running a big paddletail swimbait and squarebills along the bottom of the flooded bank. After 12 hours of fishing I ended up with 2 Sturgeons: 50 inches and 46 inches, and 1 Northern Pike: 40 inches.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Dam! Good work! 11ft of fish in just 3 catches is pretty dam impressive.

#7 ·
Aux Pleins said:
Snagging a couple undersized sturgeons out of season with a lure isnt very special, but accidents happen especially around the dams. Really nice pike though.
Guess I might have spoken too soon :?

#10 ·
philkol123 said:
Aux Pleins seems pretty salty thats fine :D Hopefully he has a good fishing this fall to perk up a bit.
No salt here man. But I've caught many sturgeons in my life and even snagged a few accidentally. Just surprised you tried to claim you "caught" them with a crank bait. They're bottom feeders that fish with their big suction mouth. This is a fishing forum, people here are good at calling b.s.

Again though, that's a great pike.

#11 ·
Aux Pleins said:
philkol123 said:
Aux Pleins seems pretty salty thats fine :D Hopefully he has a good fishing this fall to perk up a bit.
No salt here man. But I've caught many sturgeons in my life and even snagged a few accidentally. Just surprised you tried to claim you "caught" them with a crank bait. They're bottom feeders that fish with their big suction mouth. This is a fishing forum, people here are good at calling b.s.

Again though, that's a great pike.
Yeah... that's why I placed a crankbait in the sturgeons mouth just for the picture..... Just thought I'd share a recent fishing trip I went on, that's all.

#13 ·
Just poking the bear here a bit ... for conversations sake

why is it unreasonable for to suggest a sturgeon couldn't mistake a crankbait for say ... a crayfish and suck it up (or realistically try to pin it to the bottom and get trebles stuck in it's fleshy maw)? Technically speaking, bass feed by 'suction' as well ... and I've had carp hit minnow imitating presentations before too.

Great report, cool catches for sure.

#14 ·
McChou said:
Just poking the bear here a bit ... for conversations sake

why is it unreasonable for to suggest a sturgeon couldn't mistake a crankbait for say ... a crayfish and suck it up (or realistically try to pin it to the bottom and get trebles stuck in it's fleshy maw)? Technically speaking, bass feed by 'suction' as well ... and I've had carp hit minnow imitating presentations before too.

Great report, cool catches for sure.
Thanks boss. I even had a bigmouth buffalo carp slam a KVD squarebill in this same spot a couple years ago.
I feel like the big fish here are very opportunistic, and that's how they grow big.

#15 ·
A carp would hit a moving bait anyday, even one that is suspended a bit or even bait on top of the water and not on the bottom. 2 fish that won't are the sturgeon and the paddlefish. The sturgeon extends it's long vaccum mouth and sucks up the river bottom. Go to a dam on a river in Wisconsin early summer and you can see them just sucking the algae on a dam wall. A sturgeon will suck up a ting jig tipped with a waxie accidentally once in a great great while. I've caught all my sturgeon with nightcrawlers or dead suckers, on the bottom. When you hook one, that long syphon like mouth protrudes out, like a long wet sock. In the picture provided by the catch in question, the sucker syphon is inside the mouth as if it weren't eating at all.

I've accidentally snagged a boatload of them too. That's why I don't blame anyone who does the same, its actually pretty easy to do, unintentionally.

Something tells me if a sturgeon sucked up a crankbait, sitting still on the river bottom, in that hoover mouth, it would be inside that huge sucker with the long syphon hanging out, especially after being tugged on by an angler. And the odds of it happening twice, well I'll let you guys do your own research.

I'll leave it at that because this kid still caught a friggin awesome Pike and shared a couple cool sturgeon shots.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey, it happens :shock:
IMG_20141020_105700-1024x768.jpg

IMG_20141020_105712-768x1024.jpg

But almost never & realistically it probably just happened to get hit by a hook passing its mouth than any incidental or intentional action on the fish's part. They certainly arent equipped or inclined to chase down a moving bait of any type.

Attachments

#17 ·
Pretty cool! I've fished that same spot when some friends on I stayed on the lake upstream. A buddy caught the biggest channel catfish I've ever seen and I skunked around that feeder creek mouth area. The bar on the beach with the minnow shots treated me much better :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.