Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Looking for a wadeable river in SW - Central Wi

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Rambler 
#1 ·
Planning to make a trip up to the driftless area and been doing some research looking for a wadeable river in that area of Wisconsin for smallies and whatever else resides for the second half. My research has led me to the upper Black River upstream of Black River Falls, in particular, the areas around Hatfield, Neillsville and Hemlock. Got a chance to run into some walleye and musky as well so it looks decent. Water will be low summer flow and away from the impoundments so it seems decently wadeable. Anyone have suggestions or experience on something else in the area? St. Croix, East Fork Black River, etc? Got a pretty extensive list of coordinates to check out on the Black but maybe I've overlooked something else in the area that would be equally suitable.

#2 ·
You need to check with RonG - he's from that neck of the woods.

There's a creek in the Black River SF that's wadeable - I think it' Morrison Creek. Flow's thru the Oxbow area of the SF.

BTW- there's a nice campground on the East Branch of the Black. Not far upstream from Lake Arbutus. Good smallie fishing there. Also big cats.

#3 ·
Rambler said:
You need to check with RonG - he's from that neck of the woods.

There's a creek in the Black River SF that's wadeable - I think it' Morrison Creek. Flow's thru the Oxbow area of the SF.

BTW- there's a nice campground on the East Branch of the Black. Not far upstream from Lake Arbutus. Good smallie fishing there. Also big cats.

Rambler, I feel like you've been everywhere! Always got somewhere to recommend. I saw Morrison Creek in the natural area and will be checking it out. Supposed to be some big bluffs on it carved by the creek. A few trout streams right in the area as well that might get a look.

Saw the campgrounds too by Lake Arbutus run by Jackson county. Will be staying somewhere along the Black and it'll probably be one of those. Also came across a no clothes necessary campground :lol: . Didn't realize what NCN meant. Their website gave me a laugh once I figured out what was going on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.