Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Black River Falls-Hixton area trout streams

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Rambler 
#1 ·
Heading up to Chippewa Falls in a few weeks for a couple of days but was hoping to hit a trout stream or two on the way up. Any recommendations for the BRF-Hixton area? Easy access, maybe bank fishing since my buddy doesn't have waders. Guess wet wading might work too. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I looked into this recently as I planned to fish up near BRF to break up a trout fishing trip. I don't have any experience with the streams up there as we were going to fish smallies, eyes, and musky. Just got back from Vernon county last night but bailed on the northern leg as our feet were toast after four days. Use this to see a larger view of trout streams across the state. It'll show a lot of what you'd like to know, easements, public lands, classifications, dnr parking lots, etc.

https://dnrmaps.wi.gov/H5/?viewer=TROUT

If you'd like to focus on a particular county, use this

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/Fishing ... mmaps.html

I used either and marked pins on google maps at bridges along bodies of water I'd like to fish. Satellite or street view would help show the creek/shoulder parking better. I would avoid any public eased areas personally, too much pressure and too much nettle and parsnips to navigate. Though, some are thru grazed farm land that make fly fishing easier, less shit to snag on a back cast. I'd suggest parking on the shoulder at a bridge and walk down to the water route. Typically rocky but there can be somewhat tall plants on the path down. Tell your buddy to get some light pants to wet wade in, it'll help with that brush you need to walk through. Always scope out the water on foot from the bridge to see if you looks suitable for fishing too. I'm pretty new to driftless trout fishing and some creeks can be hit or miss as far as fish quantity and quality, the best part is just exploring new water which is everywhere around there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.