Vilas- BSG

The State of Wisconsin is a frequent destination for Chicago area residents seeking awesome angling opportunities. Post and share information and reports from Wisconsin waters.

Vilas- BSG

Postby Lip_Yanker » Sep Mon 28, 2020 8:53 am

Spent a week there one day.

First couple days temps were in the high 50s with 25+mph wind gusts, every leeward bay was chock full of boats.

Next couple days temps were close to 80 with 5mph winds. About 357 boats on the lake, all crowding the known spots that are supposed to produce fish, there were a few that exchanged words as we motored by... we did not partake in the lunacy.

Rained like hell the following day. Only out for a couple hours, got tired of bailing the boat.

Didn't go out the last couple days, fished from the docks.

All week, only managed a bunch of hand sized Perch. Not a Walleye, Musky/Pike or Bass to be found. Spoke to 20 other boats while on the water and they all said the same thing. I also have re-verified my disdain for fishing out of 14' aluminum camp boats, as my back and feet are still sore from standing/sitting in one last week.

If I never get back to that lake to fish, it will probably be to soon. Best part of the trip was the good friends, lots of cigars, bourbon, popcorn and fudge.

Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Vilas- BSG

Postby billebob5 » Sep Mon 28, 2020 8:59 am

sorry for the lack of results. Sounds awful. What's your go to bourbon?
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby FishinMatt » Sep Mon 28, 2020 9:55 am

Sounds like hell. When I think of going that far north I would expect some solitude. Crowds and crappy fishing not fun.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby wiktor911 » Sep Mon 28, 2020 10:36 am

I hear you. I can relate. I’m one of those guys that’s out there casting for musky until my arm falls off. These early fall transitions are tough with the up and down weather.
wiktor911
Fishing Czar

Postby joetrain » Sep Mon 28, 2020 11:04 am

Well at least it is nice to get out. I hate saying that because then you know the fishing sucked.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Sep Mon 28, 2020 1:27 pm

Sounds awful - except for your final paragraph.

COVID is effecting all aspects of life - even the outdoors. So many people out of work. Makes for crowds where you don't expect them. My best friend canceled his annual BWCA trip due to lack of permits.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Lip_Yanker » Sep Tue 29, 2020 8:23 am

Billiebob- For neat/rocks I've been drinking Angels Envy and Weller 12 the last few years. For mixers it's Beam Double Oak.

Very true Matt, I think one of the issues with that lake (1600 sa) is every square inch of the shoreline is developed. Plus Content and Fawn are connected access.

Joe- It was terrific to be away from the daily grind. Catching a few would have just made it better. Ah well, next time.

Rambler- Hoping the Wuhan Flu chit blows over soon... really looking forward to the Canadian/US border being open again!

Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby badger75 » Sep Tue 29, 2020 4:33 pm

sorry for the tough luck.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby DPMike » Sep Tue 29, 2020 9:44 pm

It's tough when the eather doesn't cooperate. Bummer, we've all been through it.

I've noticed way more pressure on my local haunts as well and it has impacted my fish catching.
Subdivision Pond Slayer
DPMike
Game Fish

Postby billebob5 » Sep Wed 30, 2020 9:42 am

sorry to gank your thread but Weller 12? Hard to find! I've been searching for 3 years.... no luck.
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby tacklebox » Sep Wed 30, 2020 10:34 am

billebob5 wrote:sorry to gank your thread but Weller 12? Hard to find! I've been searching for 3 years.... no luck.
Did you look online?
tacklebox
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Sep Wed 30, 2020 1:50 pm

Yanker - I admire your optimism but it's highly unlikely COVID 19 will blow over anytime soon. At least not as long as so many of our countrymen refuse to accept science & continue to misconstrue their constitutional rights.

I've read the constitution several times & have to find where it says we have the right to endanger the health and safety of our family, friends, neighbors or strangers.

Hopefully science will come up with a vaccine that works.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby billebob5 » Sep Wed 30, 2020 1:53 pm

tacklebox wrote:
billebob5 wrote:sorry to gank your thread but Weller 12? Hard to find! I've been searching for 3 years.... no luck.
Did you look online?

I'm not paying $300 for it
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby billebob5 » Sep Wed 30, 2020 1:55 pm

Rambler wrote:Yanker - I admire your optimism but it's highly unlikely COVID 19 will blow over anytime soon. At least not as long as so many of our countrymen refuse to accept science & continue to misconstrue their constitutional rights.

I've read the constitution several times & have to find where it says we have the right to endanger the health and safety of our family, friends, neighbors or strangers.

Hopefully science will come up with a vaccine that works.

here we go! TRIGGERED
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby Lip_Yanker » Oct Thu 01, 2020 8:16 am

Billiebob- Yes, W12 has been mostly hard to come by for awhile now. I bought bottles quite awhile ago when it was standard retail at $30-40/bottle. Also have a few friends who gift me bottles once in awhile. FWIW- A couple others I do enjoy is Four Roses SB and Woodfords, which are relatively easy to come by.

Rambler- I was meaning that hopefully it runs it's course and we get through the lunacy. Unfortunately, it has become to political though.
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FloridaRigger » Oct Thu 01, 2020 10:44 am

If you drive 30 minutes north of there, you will find much less crowded lakes that are loaded with bass and musky. some have rental boats available too. PM me for more info
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FloridaRigger
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Oct Thu 01, 2020 12:32 pm

Lip_Yanker wrote:Rambler- I was meaning that hopefully it runs it's course and we get through the lunacy. Unfortunately, it has become to political though.

Yanker - my comments weren't directed at you. Sometimes I feel compelled to attempt to set things straight just for the record. And yes, when people start thinking that the decision to wear or to not wear a mask is a political act things have gotten out of control.

I still admire your optimism & hope that one way or the other we can start getting back to normal.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby FishinMatt » Oct Thu 01, 2020 2:38 pm

Off topic, but the last South Park episode was pretty good. Hit the nail on the head regarding both sides of the coin. Even as a cop I can laugh at the satirical take on their blood hungry police department. People are just too sensitive with their my way or the highway views. Live your life people. We will all be taking a dirt nap eventually anyways.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby mike son » Oct Thu 01, 2020 7:31 pm

We all get humbled out on the water sometimes, I just don't post mine! Haha! I'm sure it was still a good week away from home. Good bourbon choices too, I used to see Weller 12 and another blend of Weller(100 proof?) turding up shelves several years back. Shoot, I bought a bottle of ORVW 12yr Lot B for $60 or whatever retail was several years back. I just googled the asking price online and cringed. We ripped shots of it one New Years Eve :roll: .
mike son
Fishing Czar

Return to Other Wisconsin Waters