Driftless - Season Closer

The State of Wisconsin is a frequent destination for Chicago area residents seeking awesome angling opportunities. Post and share information and reports from Wisconsin waters.

Driftless - Season Closer

Postby mike son » Oct Sat 17, 2020 9:34 am

Was able to squeeze out one more trip north before inland trout season closed on 10/15. Solo trip to the area of Vernon County to fish new creeks and new stretches of familiar creeks. To say the fishing was on fire, is an understatement. I hope the few on here that fish the area had the opportunity to get up there with the cool weather before the end of the season. I only fly fished and feel I made a sizeable progression in the technique during that trip. That or, the fish were just eating everything and could even make a noobie like me look like a pro :lol:. Fished several different rigs and patterns. Hopper dropper with a olive scud when cloudy. Hopper dropper with a black copper john or flashback pheasant tail when sunny/partly-sunny just whacked fish and put up numbers that left the two gentlemen that stopped to chat as I walked the pavement back to car flabbergasted when I told them how the fishing was. The black copper john was really the ticket, few would eat the hopper when the sun got higher and warmer. I'd usually be shocked when they ate the hopper after staring at it all morning waiting for it to get pulled down. Mid-afternoon to evening and early in the morning, fish would rise to a blue winged olive hatch. The mid-afternoon to evening hatches were unreal. Fish feeding with reckless abandonment with no regard to my presence or the occasional crappy cast haha. User friendly and parachute and occasionally I tied an emerger off the hook bend but they mostly wanted it on top. It was my first encounter with any sort of bug hatch and now I understand why they are sought after. Could sit on spot until you got bored of catching fish. Now for a pic dump.

I really wanted to catch some colored up male brook trout. Ran into a mess of em. Here are a few nicely colored ones.

Brook stream

Lot of brown trout of course.

Pretty sure I scared a pair of spawning browns off this redd. Never seen one before but I think that is what it was at the top of a riffle. The only one I saw.

Oddly silver

Lost one or two really good ones on nymphs. One was off right away and the other I fought in a pool with wood. I tried to rise him up and away from the wood but he came up top after bulldogging me and death rolled and got off. I did land a PB brown on the fly in another deeper pool after weeding through a few smaller ones. Decent kype on him too.

I've got like 150 pics total haha. More here:

https://imgur.com/a/y74SkLL
https://imgur.com/a/coEBdHv
https://imgur.com/a/Ev053bP
https://imgur.com/a/Dv3Qt2y
mike son
Fishing Czar

Re: Driftless - Season Closer

Postby mike son » Oct Sat 17, 2020 9:41 am

The rigs

A destroyed black copper john

Tried to take a pic of the blue winged olives out on the water without success. Came home and opened my fly box to clean it up and found this hitchhiker :lol:. I think it is darker than usual as it was in my dark fly box for 24hrs.
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Oct Sat 17, 2020 10:35 am

Looks like you really killed it. Great pics too. Totally green with envy.

You need to read Fishless Days, Angling Nights by Sparse Gray Hackle. Great winter reading for fly fishermen - or any fishermen for that matter.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby jonny2can » Oct Sat 17, 2020 10:40 am

Very nice colors.. that last trout is a pig!
jonny2can
Fishing Czar

Postby matt_ski » Oct Sat 17, 2020 6:09 pm

Spectacular fish and even more spectacular sights.
matt_ski
Fishing Fanatic

Postby RonG » Oct Sat 17, 2020 6:57 pm

Great post. Loved all the cool photos. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Rambler wrote:You need to read Fishless Days, Angling Nights by Sparse Gray Hackle.

I thought that was by Freddy Fender. :crazy:
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Oct Sun 18, 2020 11:01 am

Not even a little funny Ron.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby BrookeT » Oct Sun 18, 2020 2:24 pm

That is a serious brown; well done! Made it to Driftless twice this fall. Wish I had one last trip before the close. Actually, I wish I caught a fish close to the hog you did!
BrookeT
Pan Fish

Postby ganz1960 » Oct Sun 18, 2020 4:28 pm

Amazing. Great fish and post.
ganz1960
Game Fish

Postby mack » Oct Mon 19, 2020 7:09 am

Outstanding! Great pic's.
mack
Game Fish

Postby Phil6 » Oct Mon 19, 2020 8:47 am

Woah!! Fantastic! Some beautiful fish and good size too. Seriously impressive stuff.
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby WanderOff09 » Oct Mon 19, 2020 10:39 am

Excellent report. I only made it up once just before COVID lockdown. I'll be up there right after the catch and release season reopens in January.
WanderOff09
Game Fish

Postby grems » Oct Mon 19, 2020 1:26 pm

Now those are my kind of fall colors, breathtaking!
grems
Game Fish

Return to Other Wisconsin Waters