7.6.2018 - New Kid in Town.

Vulcan Lakes - Crystal Lake, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

7.6.2018 - New Kid in Town.

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jul Fri 06, 2018 11:34 pm

I made a comment on another thread that I've been fishing, just haven't had any report worthy outings. Between having a pretty good day today, being able to report on a neglected lake, and having the chance to kill some crickets on WCF, I figured today's the day to break my silence.

I took some time today mulling over where to fish after work on this damn near perfect day. I've been meaning to check this place out since Heddon's son had his tournament here to hopefully get on some off-river smallies. The sun was up and bright, and although I figured this time of year they'd be deep I thought maaaaybe there might be a few up close to shore. The drive from Lake Forest to Crystal Lake was about an hour, putting me on the water a little before 4 PM. I set out with a Bruised Green Pumpkin Jackhammer, my spinning setup which alternated different types of worms, and my topwater setup with a 130 size Whopper Plopper for when the sun started going down.

I quickly saw how insanely clear the water is here. I didn't think to tie on flouro leaders, but I figured if I go awhile without a catch i could always tie em on. 9 minutes later, I already hooked into one. Ended up being my biggest of the day at 2 lbs. 10 oz. I lost my qualms of having straight braid as my chatterbait setup was sporting 50 lb. braid and I still got bit quickly.

Headed east toward the end of the trail and quickly hooked into 2 more, 2 lbs. 9 oz and 2 lbs, respectively. Headed back west and got one more that was in the mid 1 lb. Region. After noting that there were a lot of activites heading west of the beach, I decided to retrace my steps east. At this point, the sun was down enough to start chucking the big Whopper Plopper. Ended up having a swing and a miss and one hooked, but due to my piss poor left to right hookset I lost it before I could ever get eyes on it. Shame, it was a real wrist torquer. I packed it in right at close at 8:30.

All 4 fish came within the first 2 hours of being there, with them all being Largemouth I was pretty surprised. All 4 fought well outside of their weight class and hit closer to the beginning of the retrieve, so 4 awesome fights were had. I didn't see any carp, although for the first time in my life I saw TONS of +/- 5 lb catfish patrolling the shores. Signage states there are Largemouth, Smallmouth, Walleye, Pike, Channel Cats, and 'Gills. Albeit I didn't catch any, I saw several 1-2 lb smallmouth near shore, they're out there! Shore fishing really has me excited for the day I decide to rent a boat and try to pick the place apart. The only downside is the $5 pay to park, but if it helps this fun fishery I'll be happy to pay it. Gorgeous park, I suggest checking it out if you haven't already!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: 7.6.2018 - New Kid in Town.

Postby cletedius » Jul Sat 07, 2018 12:24 am

Nice outing! Always thought I should check this place out.
Woohoodude11 wrote:
I quickly saw how insanely clear the water is here.
All 4 fought well outside of their weight class and hit closer to the beginning of the retrieve, so 4 awesome fights were had.

1 of my observations has always been that bass, largemouth in particular, seem to fight much harder in clear water than they do in darker water. I.E.: a 3lber out of Geneva seems to pull like a 5lber out of Delevan.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jul Sat 07, 2018 4:08 am

I checked my bank account for a fresh royalty payment and it’s not there , so I’m calling trade mark infringement! You know which line it is ;) Good job catching nice fish out there today, when word got back to you that no one else had caught anything

cletedius wrote:1 of my observations has always been that bass, largemouth in particular, seem to fight much harder in clear water than they do in darker water. I.E.: a 3lber out of Geneva seems to pull like a 5lber out of Delevan.

It took me years to figure out why fish in one body of water would fight some much harder than on another similar sized pond/lakes. There are so many different variables that could account for it but to make life simple I eventually just told myself it was water clarity, lol. Additionally it’s been my experience, that bass fight their hardest shortly after they’ve recovered from the spawn until water temps reach their maximum...at which time they seem to have the least fight
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cletedius » Jul Sat 07, 2018 6:52 am

HEDDONFROG wrote:It took me years to figure out why fish in one body of water would fight some much harder than on another similar sized pond/lakes. There are so many different variables that could account for it but to make life simple I eventually just told myself it was water clarity, lol

Me too! (but not in the Bill Cosby kind of way).
Eventually, the answer became obvious......
They could see my face from further away.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jul Sat 07, 2018 8:19 am

HEDDONFROG wrote:Good job catching nice fish out there today, when word got back to you that no one else had caught anything.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that. Their security drove around giving everyone a 30 minute warning. Stopped by and asked how I did and I told him. He said that none of the shore guys (outside of one guy fishing for Catfish) said they caught anything and that shore fishermen had been struggling the last 5 days. That inflated my ego a little :lol:
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby jmdog2003 » Jul Sat 07, 2018 2:33 pm

I always pass that place on my way to work. Seeing your results has me considering a stop on my way home one day. Some good lookin' greenies you got yourself.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby coyote » Jul Sat 07, 2018 2:50 pm

Nice outing for shorefishing...i will say i use straightbraid there as i do at all clearwater Lakes and catch plenty of Smalles and Largies , and my Pals too i believe having to use Fluro is the most overated thing one has to do......but im just weird
coyote
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby coyote » Jul Sun 08, 2018 5:45 pm

You can also park by the old walmart and walk right in and not have tp pay. Boat rentals suck their batteries die 50 percent of the time worst run operation of any boat rental i know
coyote
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby coyote » Jul Sun 08, 2018 5:46 pm

You can also park by the old walmart and walk right in and not have to pay. Boat rentals suck their batteries die 50 percent of the time worst run operation of any boat rental i know
coyote
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Vulcan Lakes (Three Oaks Recreation Area)