Chicago Fishing Forum banner

03-22 Catching a trifecta in crap weather

7K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  FishinMatt 
#1 ·
I got out to 3-Oaks with surrogate son #3 Erik Brztowski today. 35 air temps, 10-15 unobstructed winds, standing knee deep in 38 degree water for hours and that's fun? Yes! Due to the weather we lost 3 other possible fishing companions, Mike included...he did well out solo after hearing we were catching fish. We were out from 10:30 until 3:30. We had looked over contour maps the night before, looking for deeper water close enough to shore where fish would pull back in a cold front. First spot we found an off shore hump (not on the contour map) in approximately 6' of water with a saddle that dropped to 12' All but two of our fish came off that saddle. Using an A-rig (with 4 teaser baits) as a search bait I got the first bass. That was followed by Erik's nice ass Walleye on a Dual spybait. Next 2 bass on a 3/4oz Dark Sleeper, then the largest LM that was caught on a Megabass Vision 110+1. We lost feeling in our toes and lower extremities and moved to several other spots. Nothing or the wind was in our face and made casting impossible. Erik recommended one last spot that was a point surrounded by some deeper water and I finally got the smallie I was looking for all day, as well as a decent walleye. We joked about getting a trifecta all day and it was kinda cool to get it, considering the conditions. Both the smallie & my walleye came on the Vision 110+1. My feet are still cold 4hrs after getting home

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
polishfly said:
Wow that's just awesome! Way to stick it out in tough conditions...and wading?! Hardcore!
I was without waders. I had warm neoprene almost knee high boots but we had to wade out to the old shoreline to cast, due to the flooding from last year. There were low spots getting out there that were above my boots and were filled with some water from the first spot. Arrow show the old shoreline and what we had to wade out to. It was like that on every place we wanted to fish

Attachments

#9 ·
Glad you guys whacked 'em. It was my recommendation for three oaks at 10pm the night before, only for me to bail at 10:15pm :roll:. I'd have felt so bad if you guys got denied entry or skunked :lol: Dave, you might even be cracking a smile in one of those pics!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.