Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Rainy day at 3 Oaks

9K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Aux Pleins 
#1 ·
Here's a late one I forgot to post. Got an invite to fish 3 oaks with one of the local young guns Erik Brztowski. Woo, Phil and Urb are familiar with his big catfish and sturgeon posts on Facebook but he also loves bass fishing and giant carp. His PB's in just about all species can make grown men cry. He's a good stick with whatever species he puts his mind to. He's also a cocky little shit but in a humorous way to me. Next year he'll be old enough to get his Wisconsin guiding license and will start guiding for flat heads and Sturgeon. Also look for his Sun-Times Fox River catfish reports included in the Wednesday fishing report article (those weeks he's able to fish)

So we got to Oaks on a rainy Sunday morning and it just screamed 'good fishing' but for some idiotic reason they weren't renting boats. Yeah it was raining, the water was high and it was semi-windy but no way unfishable. We were rigged for boat fishing not shore fishing and i certainly didn't have my waders with but we had to make the best of it. We really didn't catch that much but it sure was memorable wading in sweat pants or rain pants, in pouring rain. Air temps 58/59. I found a mini pattern, fishing a Chug Bug in flooded brush and grass or if I played the wind and could get the Bug close to one of the islands. Which is how I caught our lone Smallie. Erik's friend caught a rare Tiger that had some weird markings. Woo named it the Cheetah Musky. That's it, no big fish. Not many fish to speak of but the conditions made it a fun memorable day

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
HEDDONFROG said:
cletedius said:
Looks like a worthwhile outing. Chug bug in oct. :thumbup:

HEDDONFROG said:
Which is how I caught our lone Smallie.
Could swear I see 2?
Oh yeah, I did catch another small one. Good catch Pat, also caught on the Chug
Almost thought we were about to have another SMB vs LMB debate ala Rambler c. 2018 :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.