Let's pump some iron

Share your experiences with the grill, stove, oven, campfire, etc. Outdoors folks usually are outstanding cooks. Share your favorite recipes and techniques with others.

Let's pump some iron

Postby BrookfieldAngler » Jun Sat 02, 2012 12:59 pm

So I just got my first cast iron cookware items as a b-day present from the wifey - a 10.5" skillet and a 10" grill pan. I have them baking in the oven as I type.

While I wait, let talk about some cast iron recipes!

What do you like to make on your heavy metal?
Nick - BrookFieldAngler.com
Hobie Fishing Team · LucidFishing · Biovex · StankX · Quest Watersports · Railblaza
BrookfieldAngler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Let's pump some iron

Postby pikekid96 » Jun Sat 02, 2012 6:36 pm

steak, hamburgers, homemade hashbrowns, lots of stuff!
CPR!
pikekid96
Northern Pike

Postby cb-fishes » Jun Tue 12, 2012 8:11 am

I cook almost everything in cast iron- I've got 4 pieces of cast iron cookware:

A shallow skillet - great for potatoes, pan-fried fish, making quesadillas
A deeper skillet - great for larger quantities, chilli, stir fries
An un-enameled dutch oven- great for stews, chilli, beans, making sauces, deep frying
An enameled dutch oven - big enough for a whole chicken, great for bigger stews and stuff

Besides my crockpot, grill, and a stockpot, these are pretty much the only pieces of cookware I use. They will last forever, they get better the more you use them, and they can be used anywhere: stovetop, oven, grill- I even used them directly on the campfire during camping a few weeks back.

I like them because they're versatile, old school, no-nonsense (none of that non-stick coating BS), and they heat so nicely.

Congratulations!
Angling Wiki: The Fishing Encyclopedia
Join the community!
http://anglingwiki.com
Fishing reports and the misadventures of learning how to fish
http://cbfishes.com
cb-fishes
Fishing Czar

Postby BrookfieldAngler » Jun Tue 12, 2012 8:19 am

Thanks!

So far, I have done some grilled cheese, pork chops, chicken breasts, and steaks. I actually have an easier time cooking with this than other pans. I am not sure if it's the way they heat or what, but everything seems easier to me.

I am working hard on building up a good seasoning. It's a change to clean the pan(s) right away instead of waiting until later that evening or the next day. I have been storing them with a light coating of oil as well.
Hobie Fishing Team · LucidFishing · Biovex · StankX · Quest Watersports · Railblaza
BrookfieldAngler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cb-fishes » Jun Tue 12, 2012 8:23 am

Yeah the seasoning is key.. I've had trouble getting mine seasoned just right, so what I usually do at first is cook a bunch of bacon in them repeatedly. Leave the bacon grease, come back later, heat it up again. After a few days of that, I rinse off what remains and enjoy my pan! I've done the oven heating thing too, but it seems the stovetop way works fine as well.

I think they're way more forgiving than normal pans- they heat slowly but evenly, not as much chance of burning your food! And they stay warm for so long... They're just awesome
Angling Wiki: The Fishing Encyclopedia
Join the community!
http://anglingwiki.com
Fishing reports and the misadventures of learning how to fish
http://cbfishes.com
cb-fishes
Fishing Czar

Postby Big Al » Jun Tue 12, 2012 9:06 am

The secret to cast iron is never use soap. Rinse with water - that's it. You can use a nylon brush and/or a plastic scraper for larger or stuck on bits. I always coat with oil after use. Favorite recipe has to be either cobbler or cake done in a dutch oven.
Big Al
Fishing Czar

Postby BrookfieldAngler » Jun Tue 12, 2012 9:11 am

Yeah I have avoided the soap and made it very clear to the wife not to as well. I got a nylon brush specifically for this cookware because the brush gets pretty nasty and I wouldn't use it on other things. For the most part, though, I only use the brush on the grill pan so I can get in between the ridges. It makes it a lot easier. Also, after rinsing the pans, I warm them up to help the remaining water evaporate and then coat with oil.
BrookfieldAngler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ohoffm » Jun Tue 12, 2012 2:47 pm

Proper seasoning is definitely a key. Another thing to consider: make sure it is not around when you tell your wife you are going on yet another fishing trip. No fun getting bonked by one of those :)
The easiest way is rarely the best way
ohoffm
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RamblingBen » Jun Tue 12, 2012 3:09 pm

To clean mine I use a bunch of kosher salt and wipe the salt into the pan with a paper towel, it will get a surprising amount of stuff off, Then use water if necessary.
Check out my channel http://www.youtube.com/c/TheRemedyFishingChannel for quality fly fishing videos and more
RamblingBen
Fishing Czar

Postby red_mucilin » Jul Fri 13, 2012 11:39 pm

coconut oil. eggs chicken fish. coconut oil seasoning. get a small stainless steel brush from hardware store.
red_mucilin
Fishing Czar

Return to What's Cooking?