Best Chicago Steak?

Share your experiences with the grill, stove, oven, campfire, etc. Outdoors folks usually are outstanding cooks. Share your favorite recipes and techniques with others.

Re: Best Chicago Steak?

Postby sully99 » Feb Wed 10, 2016 7:27 pm

I'm with Aux. I never order steak in a restaurant because the steaks that come off my kamado are pretty badass.
Spring Grove
Native Ultimate 14.5
sully99
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Absyne » Feb Wed 10, 2016 9:37 pm

I'm in the same boat with cooking my own. Though I've eaten at Mortons and it was good. But I'd say for the price, cooking your own is the way to go. If you want a good steakhouse experience, then I'd suggest Mortons near Rush St. Awesome entrance, good old school Chicago Mob type vibe, just be prepared to throw down some serious cash, and definitely try the lobster bisque!
Absyne
Game Fish

Postby bapentec » Feb Thu 11, 2016 1:06 am

Worked at Gibsons for 5 plus years. I currently work at Gene and Georgettis. Wife works at Sam And Harry's Steakhouse before that she worked at the Ritz Carlton. Most local (Chicago and Burbs) use the same purveyors or off shoots of the same meat yards. All are prime, and almost all are wet-aged. To me a lot has to do with the preparation or seasoning and cooking style of the steaks. Infrared Broilers are in my humble opinion the best way to properly sear a steak even without seasoning at all and provide a beautiful crust...Gibsons seasons well and sears even better....GandG...sears well but doesn't season at all.....Sam and Harry's seasons heavy and sears decent. Honestly....I eat steaks at home...It really has to do with your preference on seasoning and sear. I gotta go with Gene And Georgetti's for obvious reasons...Ruth Chris is a family favorite as well.
bapentec
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby coyote » Feb Thu 11, 2016 6:31 am

I know its just a tad outside the City technically, but i still think of it as the City. Toms in Melrose Park, great Steak, great salad , great potato and you just might still see some Mobsters there......i know i used too.
coyote
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Feb Thu 11, 2016 11:27 am

I'm still trying to wrap my head around all this steak stuff on a fishing site...

Basically I'm with Aux. Best steaks are ones that come off my grill - especially when my kid comes over & does it all. After that I'm with tim - Tavern on Rush is great especially if you fit into the clientele - born in the 1st half of the last century like me. I've heard good things about Tom's from folks who know - I drive by there all the time & always think about it.

And like McChou I don't get all the hype about Ruth's Chris. Ate at one in CT a few years back & was thoroughly unimpressed.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ffishman » Feb Thu 11, 2016 11:42 am

Anybody else amazed at how the price of steaks has risen? I used to order steaks all the time, now, not so much. One local restaurant we go to took them off the main menu altogether. They made up a special "steak" menu because the prices got so high.
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day, you do the math
ffishman
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Feb Fri 12, 2016 10:45 am

The question is, is it because the cost of raising beef cattle is going up? Or is it due to the inelastic pricing model?

Last year I saw a post from an old friend on another site. He's in the restaurant business & he commented on why eggs were so expensive. It was due to the bird flu that caused so many chickens to be killed. It doesn't seem we've had anything similar in the cattle business. So I'm guessing it's inelastic pricing.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Zenfish » Feb Fri 12, 2016 11:59 am

The most recent price increase was "justified" by that high oil price we had for a few years which supposedly pulled away corn feed from cattle and shifted it to ethanol production. Oil price has dropped for some time now but the increased pricing that restaurants passed to customers are still there. We're in an energy glut! It's all about the psychology of what "normal" means to the mass population. These high beef prices have normalized and we're all suckers. Not to mention that high end steak joints don't source corn fed beef. Grass fed is what we eat at the restaurants we've been listing on this thread.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. -John Buchan
Zenfish
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Darkstar72 » Feb Fri 12, 2016 2:58 pm

Rambler wrote:I'm still trying to wrap my head around all this steak stuff on a fishing site...

Hehehhe...well Rambler, not everyone ice fishes and we gotta talk about something! ;)
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby ffishman » Feb Fri 12, 2016 5:42 pm

Hey, at least were civil here. I've been on other sites and this time of the year things can get nasty.
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day, you do the math
ffishman
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HnG » Feb Fri 12, 2016 10:45 pm

Im with Aux on this one. Some nice cuts of Elk or even squirrel can be unreal if done right on grill. Much rather hit the butcher
to see whats on the chopping block then take it back home to the grill. 8)
HnG
Fishing Fanatic

Postby bapentec » Feb Sat 13, 2016 3:04 pm

ffishman wrote:Hey, at least were civil here. I've been on other sites and this time of the year things can get nasty.
absolutely!
bapentec
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Oct Tue 04, 2016 4:06 pm

Theshocker1293 wrote:Morton's Steakhouse is amazing along with Ruth's Chris which is by far the best. Usually go there once a month. for Brazilian steakhouse I do love Fogo de Chao but with only one location its pretty much a pain to go there. Texas de Brazil is my favorite of the Brazilian steakhouses. Also if you love Prime Rib you can check out Golden Steer very nice "hole in the wall" restaurant.

+1 on Golden Steer, in Forest Park on Roosevelt Road. Totally mobbed up like then red scene from Goodfellas. And yes, you absolutely want the french onion soup, even though sometimes they make it seem complimentary and charge for it.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Ryguy83 » Oct Tue 04, 2016 8:19 pm

I have eaten at many of these places above. My favorite place is Mastro's. Not only are their steaks off the chart but their lobster mash potato's are :crazy:

If you want an amazing cajun ribeye on the cheap --- Al's Charhouse
Ryguy83
Fishing Fanatic

Postby SeamonDemon » Oct Wed 05, 2016 7:43 am

Bennys chop house is fire. 55 day Dry aged steak is where it's at
SeamonDemon
Minnow

Postby DPMike » Jun Sat 23, 2018 10:12 am

The Mrs and I had a giant ribeye for 2 at The Grillroom Chophouse & Wine Bar before seeing Beautiful, this winter. Steak and play were excellent.
Subdivision Pond Slayer
DPMike
Pan Fish

Previous

Return to What's Cooking?