Vinegar bath for cleaning your vegetables.

Share your experiences with the grill, stove, oven, campfire, etc. Outdoors folks usually are outstanding cooks. Share your favorite recipes and techniques with others.

Vinegar bath for cleaning your vegetables.

Postby willcfish » Oct Sun 19, 2014 1:10 pm

We have done this for many years to clean our vegetables besides washing them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSl_GuOpk74
willcfish
Game Fish

Re: Vinegar bath for cleaning your vegetables.

Postby RonG » Oct Mon 20, 2014 11:41 am

I'm afraid of this one. Don't all vegetables taste bad enough on their own without putting vinegar on them?
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby willcfish » Oct Mon 20, 2014 6:37 pm

It's a mix of water and vinegar. You'll never taste the vinegar and many Dressings and oils have vinegar in them.
willcfish
Game Fish

Postby RonG » Oct Mon 20, 2014 6:44 pm

Ok, I'm game for anything that will make a vegetable not taste like a vegetable.

I prefer bacon as the base of my food pyramid. Let the pigs eat the veggies for me, then I'll eat the pigs. But please no vinegar on my bacon, not even on the side.
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby bloogilz » Jan Sun 17, 2016 1:42 am

Ladies and gentlemen, I beseech you. The acetic acid in the vinegar kills all the surface mold spores, and many pathogens that cause your produce to rot in your fridges. I automatically do this when I get home from the store. I fill a big stainless steel bowl full of water with at least a cup of white vinegar. I soak every piece of produce in this solution for 5 minutes. Then they get a thorough rinse and dry--salad spinner. strawberries last 10 days, grapes too. I have not thrown out rotting produce in 30 years!
bloogilz

Postby Peter Piper » Jan Sun 17, 2016 10:10 am

The nutrition content may be a tad less after the application of your process. Sadly, filth is always present. Produce also loses its nutritional content over time.....meaning, 10 day old strawberries are what they are regardless of sanitation. I was trained to rinse, dry and store for 2 days maximum. When ready to use, re-rinse, top and tail the produce, rinse again and prepare as needed. Food service sanitation is a tough one for us humans. Thus the continuance of food bourn illness in society :(

And by the way, eating dirt never helped me, just gave me dirty teeth and :moresarcasm: the $hits.
Peter Piper
Game Fish

Postby KankRat » Aug Fri 12, 2016 7:07 pm

Interesting. Most bugs don't like a low pH or a high one. I used bleach to prepare veggies for a BWCA trip. Small amount, if I remember right, a capfull in a sink full of water. Came out of a Cliff Jacobsen book.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby am09qx30 » Aug Sun 14, 2016 9:47 am

That which doesnt kill you, makes you stronger.
am09qx30
Pan Fish

Postby Skifish1 » Aug Sun 14, 2016 12:30 pm

I eat more rotten unwashed produce than an opussum. May that explains why I have the trots so often.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to What's Cooking?