Canoe / fish the South Kish

Do you fish the Kish?

Canoe / fish the South Kish

Postby Rambler » Apr Mon 13, 2015 10:18 am

Has anyone canoed & fished the south branch of the Kish yet this year? Any insights on conditions? Thanks.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Canoe / fish the South Kish

Postby Skifish1 » Apr Tue 14, 2015 10:00 pm

Most people who fish rivers check online gauges, I check USGS gauges for des plaines, kish, and fox all the time. I use the gauges to make decisions where I fish. When you ask about river conditions that really can't be answered. River conditions change frequently rain dependent. That said, expect higher faster water now.

I fish the S. Kish but I haven't yet this year. Unfortunately one of the gauges I check (Fairdale) was damaged on Tornado day. At first the Fairdale wasn't reporting after the Tornado...now the gauge listing has been removed from the USGS website. That sucks, now there is only a gauge at the far east area at Dekalb, the next gauge is after the confluence in Perryville.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RamblingBen » Apr Wed 15, 2015 11:00 am

South Branch can get tight depending on your put in and that area got demolished by some big storms which also mean newly downed trees. Check the gauges and be very careful, high fast and dirty water with some new "obstacles" in the river can be deadly in a canoe.
Check out my channel http://www.youtube.com/c/TheRemedyFishingChannel for quality fly fishing videos and more
RamblingBen
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Apr Fri 17, 2015 11:10 am

Thanks!
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Apr Fri 17, 2015 9:06 pm

I was on S Kish in Dekalb county Wednesday, some fast water, surprisingly good clarity. Yea got to be careful in the windy sections that are flowing downhill fast. It's a real challenge fishing and negotiating twisty small river sections with hazards (trees, etc). I had some real fun with a few underwater snags in bad current areas. Broke one rod tip. Not for most people, just a few like to do it the hard way.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » May Mon 04, 2015 4:01 pm

Skilfish1: Where did you put in?

I took a drive out to the Kish yesterday (Sunday) to scope things out before my canoe/fish trip with my buddy.

Checked out the put-in on Base Line Rd, the park by the Rte 72 bridge, Russell Woods, another bridge over the river and Pottawatomie Woods.

Mostly clear, low water (not too low for a canoe). Didn't spot any dead fall but there's lots of river I didn't see.

Caught a little smallie (10 in) and an 8 in rock bass in Russell Woods. Hooked into something bigger at Pottawatomie but didn't land it.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » May Mon 04, 2015 6:22 pm

I've put in all the areas you mentioned except Russell woods. Water is probably lower now than when I was on it.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » May Thu 21, 2015 11:00 am

Canoed the So branch yesterday with my best friend. Put in at Baseline & took out at Pottawatomie Woods. He caught 2 nice Smallies & hooked a little Northern that cut his line & got away. I got skunked.

Cold & rainy most of the day. My trusty, old Stearns Dry Wear has given up the ghost & I got pretty wet.

The river was open & mostly free of deadfall - pretty easy paddling. All in all a great day.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » May Thu 21, 2015 5:12 pm

Thanks for report. How was the water clarity in inches. The water level shouldn't be too bad probably only a foot higher than hot summer conditions.

That's a long way to go if fishing. That would take me all day to cover that distance at the rate I fish but if you just keep moving the river has a pretty good flow rate
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » May Wed 27, 2015 3:17 pm

The clarity was good. I'd say you could see the bottom in 1.5 ft of water. Not so much in deeper pools. There were a few places where the canoe scraped bottom but nothing bad enough that we had to get out.

Yes - a long way to go when fishing. Next time I think we'll put in at Genoa & skip Russell Woods.

The most "unfortunate" thing about the Kish (as with most Illinois streams) is the amount of private land. There really aren't a lot of places to get out & fish that are public. Some spots are posted so we avoided them. Too bad the state is so broke - not much chance it will ever be able to buy more land along the Kish.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » May Wed 27, 2015 3:39 pm

Every year I tell myself this is the year to try the Kish, then summer and fall zoom by so quick and it get's pushed to next year. :oops:
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » May Fri 29, 2015 3:48 pm

Yep - been telling myself, "this is the year" for several years. Well, this was the year. We had a blast in spite of crappy weather & I expect we'll do it again - maybe later in the summer.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Kishwaukee River