Kish 2015 Recap

Do you fish the Kish?

Kish 2015 Recap

Postby RamblingBen » Dec Thu 10, 2015 10:44 am

Another year on the Kish, that makes 8. I wanted to post a quick recap of my year seeing as I rarely put up individual reports any more. Having two boys under three years old has, not surprisingly, taken a toll on my fishing time resulting in only a handful of outings. I managed,

1 Spring group float with the ISA, had about 6 members total and floated 10 or so miles of river. My best smallie day boating 6 of them with three being 16-18 inches.

2 Summer float and wades, The first with my friend Anthony. We caught a bunch of small to medium pike and a couple smallmouth. We each missed a quality fish with Anthony being manhandled by a monster pike and me losing a bronze bass that hit so hard and ran so fast I barely had time to react. I tried a follow up float solo next weekend but the river was blown out with rain the night before, skunked.

3 Fall wades. November was a great time for Pike. I had three wading outings within a two weeks, all solo. Went 0-3 on the first one missing two nice fish, skunked on the second, and 2-3 on the last finally landing a solid pike on the fly.

Looks pretty abysmal written down. The lack of time on the water, along with the growing pains of learning to fly fish took their toll. With that said, it was the most fun I've had in a long time. It was great to be challenged and even on days I got skunked, I went home knowing I improved upon my casting and technique. I think this video edit I have is a much better representation of my year.

[youtube]Y1HzafxUbw8[/youtube]

Some takeaways:
-Holy hell fly fishing is fun, learning curve be damned, once you hook into a quality fish and feel how "connected" the fight is it's hard to go back.
-Fly tying is also a great time, there's an investment but once you have the tools and materials and techniques to let your imagination go wild it's hard to stop.
-This river still holds a special place with me, there's lots of variety between the north, south, and main branches. It may not have the most numbers or the largest fish, but it feels wild in many sections. Always an adventure with something new around the bend.
-With my oldest son almost three. I'll be comfortable taking him out more next year. that means more fishing time, I can't wait to expose him to one of my favorite activities.

If you love Smallmouth and want to help protect the rivers they live in check out joining the Illinois Smallmouth Alliance, it's a great group of people with tons of knowledge on our rivers. http://www.illinoissmallmouthalliance.com
Check out my channel http://www.youtube.com/c/TheRemedyFishingChannel for quality fly fishing videos and more
RamblingBen
Fishing Czar

Re: Kish 2015 Recap

Postby polishfly » Dec Thu 10, 2015 11:48 am

That is a bad ass video!
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Zenfish » Dec Thu 10, 2015 9:39 pm

Great video. I need to get me so Kish.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. -John Buchan
Zenfish
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Dec Thu 10, 2015 9:50 pm

Zenfish wrote: I need to get me so Kish.

Oops! Just like the last 5 seasons, I just realized I forgot to try the Kish.

Nice job!
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Dec Thu 10, 2015 11:32 pm

Nice video Ben, we never got around to sharing the water maybe next year I know you have your hands full, I got new spots I discovered on all branches this year.... :wink:
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby jim bohman » Dec Sat 12, 2015 10:14 am

Nice post Ben, my sister lives on the Kish, been talking about getting out there but havent given it a shot yet. looks like its time to give it a shot.
jim bohman
Fishing Fanatic

Postby jmdog2003 » Dec Sat 12, 2015 11:36 am

Nice vid bud! Very arsty ;) I've been chomping at the bit to fish that river for some time now. Can't believe I lived a 5 minute walk away and never fished it :(
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » Dec Sat 12, 2015 11:55 am

Cool video.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ohoffm » Dec Sat 12, 2015 12:09 pm

catchafew wrote:Cool video.
x2
The easiest way is rarely the best way
ohoffm
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RamblingBen » Dec Sat 12, 2015 8:39 pm

Appreciate the feedback everyone, If you liked that video check out my channel for more like it. I'm looking to branch out into some more informative kind of stuff, fly tying, gear reviews, techniques etc but I'm trying to find my way of doing it. I think a Nucanoe Frontier review is overdue. Tight lines!
Check out my channel http://www.youtube.com/c/TheRemedyFishingChannel for quality fly fishing videos and more
RamblingBen
Fishing Czar

Postby FISHdank » Dec Sun 13, 2015 12:55 am

What a cool video, great year and some good fish. Thanks for sharing
I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
FISHdank
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby JustinCarf » Dec Mon 14, 2015 12:03 pm

Great video! I really enjoy all of yours. What camera are you using?
JustinCarf
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby DasGoby » Dec Mon 14, 2015 2:23 pm

Great video!
I think a Nucanoe Frontier review is overdue

How do you like the Frontier? Any thoughts to share? It's on my short list.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RamblingBen » Dec Mon 14, 2015 2:29 pm

Thanks, I'm using a GoPro Hero 2 and a Nikon D3100 with it's kit lens. My friend has a GoPro and a nice camcorder we use as well. I love how the DSLR shoots in 24 fps, it creates a cinematic dreamy feel. Ever since last years steelhead adventures my lens has been gummed up and I've had to manually focus everything, pretty tough to do on a little 2 inch display screen so I've been lucky/happy with how stuff has turned out.
RamblingBen
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Dec Mon 14, 2015 2:42 pm

Absolutely great video! Can't wait to hit the Kish again in the Spring.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RamblingBen » Dec Mon 14, 2015 2:46 pm

DasGoby wrote:Great video!
I think a Nucanoe Frontier review is overdue

How do you like the Frontier? Any thoughts to share? It's on my short list.

I love it overall, I think it's the most versatile kayak on the market, of course there could be improvements

+ INCREDIBLE stability and room to move
+ It's a 1 or 2 person boat, the track system lets you choose whatever seat and position you want
+ Drafts shallow and tracks well, has the ability to add a trolling motor or a 3hp motor

- The floor design doesn't let the boat drain water without lifting the front, looks like the new pursuit has a much improved floor
- Not very "grabby" the handles are cheapo bolt on style's and since this boat is wide and somewhat heavy it's hard to get leverage when moving it around. I still cartop it with minimal issues.
- I don't want to say slow, but it's not the fastest. I think they found a great balance of speed/stability. The shallow draft helps.

other thoughts.
If your mounting any style of swivel or larger seat you NEED the rigid bases.
The wheels that mount to it are almost necessary for moving and loading onto cars.

PM me if you have any other questions or want to get more in depth.
RamblingBen
Fishing Czar

Postby joetrain » Dec Mon 14, 2015 2:52 pm

That was a great video. I am definitely going to start using my fly rod more. The nucanoe is an awesome boat. If it was lighter there would be one in my garage right now. ~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby billebob5 » Dec Mon 14, 2015 3:44 pm

The soundtrack should have been Suck my Kish by the Chili Peppers... hello? hello? This thing on? :lol: :lol: :lol:
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby roleplayaj1324 » Dec Mon 14, 2015 8:47 pm

Awesome video. The south branch is nearly in my backyard, maybe next season lol
Jordan
roleplayaj1324
Fishing Fanatic

Postby JustinCarf » Dec Mon 14, 2015 9:20 pm

RamblingBen wrote:Thanks, I'm using a GoPro Hero 2 and a Nikon D3100 with it's kit lens. My friend has a GoPro and a nice camcorder we use as well. I love how the DSLR shoots in 24 fps, it creates a cinematic dreamy feel. Ever since last years steelhead adventures my lens has been gummed up and I've had to manually focus everything, pretty tough to do on a little 2 inch display screen so I've been lucky/happy with how stuff has turned out.
It's working for you, I'm happy with how your stuff comes out, too! haha. Keep it up, man. Looking forward to more of your productions.
JustinCarf
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Kishwaukee River