Tips: How to fish the Kish (long read)

Do you fish the Kish?

Tips: How to fish the Kish (long read)

Postby Aux Pleins » Sep Sun 10, 2017 4:55 am

One of the main differences between going out fishing and going out to catch fish is the readiness of the angler. Having the information or how to when approaching unique conditions more than doubles your chances on getting a few tugs.

Theres a lot of guys who fish the Kishwaukee River. I wrote this to guide them as well as anyone looking to head out there for the first time.

You guys heard people talk of fishing "structure," like weeds, stumps or rocks, when what they're actually referring to is "cover." "Structure" actually refers to the topographical parts of the river, including creek and river channels, points, flats, humps, etc. "Cover" refers to objects associated with these components, including submerged logs, standing timber, stumps, rocks, weeds and bridges.

Ever heard of organic structure?

Here's my report:

About 50 yards downstream from the put in I looked to be running out of water. Appeared to be a rifle infront of me, an immediate get out drag over. (Structure or cover?)

As my kayak reached the base of the rifle I pushed through like butter exposing the mirage to not be a shallow rifle, but a million fish swarm of the native silver redhorse piled up to make some nice eddys and swirls of current. Perfect smallmouth territory in those swirls I thought to myself.

Screenshot_2017-09-10-04-05-11-1-2.png

My next approach was to sneak up on the nearest swarm of piled up redhorse and fish the eddys surrounding the nest. But just then my buddy who was wading and towing his kayak told me I wouldn't have to go far to find more redhorse while pointing his finger down. I looked down to see the entire river bed moving, that's right folks the entire river bed of the kishwaukee river is made up of golden redhorse.

Screenshot_2017-09-10-04-05-11-1-1.png

Now what do I do? How do you fish a stream that has little or no weeds and the only structure is sucker faced fish?

That's when I started looking closer. I could now see that hovering within the herds of golden and silver redhorse were quillbacks, common carp, and probably the most abundant were flocks of the native Northern Hogsucker. Easily spotted with the tiger stripes on back.

Screenshot_2017-09-09-17-45-22-1.png

My plan was to use what I was given for structure and cover and catch tons of smallmouth bass. And that's what I did. Using a 3/8oz Dirty Jig and speed shad I racked some nice skinny water smallies under redhorse rifles and behind piled quillbacks.

IMG_20170910_405.jpg

Later on, I thought I hooked a toothy critter when my rod doubled over in a flash. I was pitching my jig over the backs of a Hogsucker school into about a foot of water lined with golden horse at the bottom.

Turned out to be a giant piece of cover.

IMG_20170910_53362.jpg

Big numbers on the smalljaws, a few incidental pike and one lrg mouth.

IMG_20170910_7666.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Re: Tips: How to fish the Kish (long read)

Postby joetrain » Sep Sun 10, 2017 5:30 am

Nice write up.

Here's the short version , try to finagle a trip with Skifish. :lol:
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Sep Sun 10, 2017 6:33 am

You cant hide it you want to pick up the family again and move from gurnee to rockford. How quickly we toss aside the quest for the 42 inch dpr giant traded in favor of love and awe in observing the diverse native beautiful bottom dwelling suckers from the damless kish. Next trip put a stinky gulp on the bitsy and you will include whiskers on your list.

Move south of rockford you have kish, kilbuck, rock, pec, sugar , and many other tribs within striking distance.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Sep Sun 10, 2017 7:32 am

joetrain wrote:Nice write up.

Here's the short version , try to finagle a trip with Skifish. :lol:
~JOE~

Skifish1 asked me to dissect the stream using my rivering techniques. That's my honest opinion. If you like catching suckers it's a perfect river. (Fly fishermen and Euro-style bank fishing) If you're bass guy, there's good abundance of skinny water smallies.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Woohoodude11 » Sep Sun 10, 2017 7:47 am

I ran into a guy months ago that was a regular here awhile back and he mentioned the Kish being a solid place for smallies. Showed me some pics of some chubby ones he's caught there. I've been meaning to make a trip over, I buy my ammo in Marengo so I can pop over to the south end pretty easily. But alas, I have not had to buy ammo all summer (fishing takes precedence over target shooting :wink: ) therefore haven't made my way out there. Thanks for the tips on an awfully quiet thread.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Sep Sun 10, 2017 9:20 am

Glad to see you got out there. It's a great stream.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rich D » Sep Sun 10, 2017 10:43 am

Love it! Great post. Very creative.

On the Fox you will sometimes find smallies tucked in with a pod of carp. I'm guessing it's like flats fish following stingrays. When the carp root something up, the smallies try to slide in and swipe it.
Rich D
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Aux Pleins » Sep Sun 10, 2017 12:59 pm

Rich D wrote:Love it! Great post. Very creative.

On the Fox you will sometimes find smallies tucked in with a pod of carp. I'm guessing it's like flats fish following stingrays. When the carp root something up, the smallies try to slide in and swipe it.

Every river has its own unique habitats. Some of those things make you quiver or dry heave. On the kish, it's the over abundance of slimey redhorse. On the fox it's the schools of weird carp that suck the top of the water surface, looks like a bunch of condoms floating. On the dpr I would say it's the shear amount of invasive common carp that is the most alarming.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby HEDDONFROG » Sep Sun 10, 2017 1:04 pm

Brilliant post Aux, great details. Loved it. Hey you think the tail on that nice smallie got nipped by a toothy critter? Doesn't look like spawning/fanning wear
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Sep Sun 10, 2017 2:35 pm

HEDDONFROG wrote:Brilliant post Aux, great details. Loved it. Hey you think the tail on that nice smallie got nipped by a toothy critter? Doesn't look like spawning/fanning wear

Yea, tail was shredded that's why I took that pic. Look more fishy rather than turtle bite.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Spi11 » Sep Sat 16, 2017 5:21 pm

Great write up, thanks! Kish has been on the list, maybe I can still make it happen this year...
Spi11
Pan Fish

Postby jmdog2003 » Sep Sat 16, 2017 6:28 pm

Good stuff man. That's a river that's long had my attention. Maybe someday. ..
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby travelingfisherman » Oct Thu 05, 2017 6:00 pm

Good report.
travelingfisherman
Pan Fish

Return to Kishwaukee River