9-30 loose loops

Do you fish the Kish?

9-30 loose loops

Postby matt_ski » Sep Sat 30, 2017 4:41 pm

Last two weeks I have been hammering my fly rod pretty hard. I am a novice and my loops are far from sexy but I do manage to catch a fish every now and then. I have a cheapo 5wt (overlined with 6 wt) so I am pretty limited about the size of flies I can throw efficiently, therefore I mostly catch smaller fish, but it is fun nevertheless.
Last week (9-23) I went to apple river. It looks so much different from the last time I was there in late July. I did pretty well, catching about 20 fish, but nothing impressive size-wise. All of the action was on size 6 EP trout streamer.
Today (9-30) I went to my favorite stretch of the Kish. I did not catch as many fish as in Apple River, but I did catch my biggest fish on the fly to date: almost 15 in. smallie (pictured below) on mini (size 4) murdrich slider. I pulled 4 more dinks and 1 hammer handle. I managed to sneak on a 30 + in. pike praying on a huge school of suckers. Of course with so much food swimming around it didn't even look on my tiny minnow imitation.
I really start liking this thing called fly fishing. I feel that I can keep the flies in the strike zone much longer and get them back in the strike zone much quicker than with spinning or casting gear. Need for casting room is the biggest limitation. It is not a big deal now when water level is low and changing approach is very simple, but I see how it might be a problem during higher water levels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matt_ski
Fishing Fanatic

Re: 9-30 loose loops

Postby LZ Rascal » Sep Sat 30, 2017 5:02 pm

Nice going! I need to get out there and get casting up to par. My fly rod just gathers dust. :cry:
LZ Rascal
Fishing Czar

Postby Skifish1 » Sep Sat 30, 2017 6:13 pm

You got it. Unless you fly fish you wouldnt understand. Suspend a fly, keep it there, pick it up and put it back quickly. Big heavy pike musky fly you can throw it back amd forth there is no casting and reeling.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Oct Sun 01, 2017 6:09 pm

Sounds fun Ski. Had my little 3wt out earlier today for some gills, fun time. I like the sound of small river/stream fly fishing, thanks for sharing
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Oct Sun 01, 2017 6:56 pm

Fly fishing + the Kish = unbelievable.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Kishwaukee River