Kish 10-7

Do you fish the Kish?

Kish 10-7

Postby matt_ski » Oct Sat 07, 2017 3:38 pm

Hit the kish again this morning. Different stretch this time, closer to Rockford.
Started out with the fly rod and mini muldrich minnow. Started super slow, and wind was not giving me a break. After about an hour I caught a palm size white bass of the submerged trees. Decided to switch to #6 clouser minnow and landed a tiny rock bass. By then I got pretty desperate, wind was picking up and casting was getting a little hard with my mid flex 5wt so switched to much smaller wooly booger and started heading back to pick up a spinning rod instead. On the way back, to my surprise, I hooked into a decent size darter, but I tried to muscle it in a little too much and it came unhooked almost in my hands. It was not a snag either, hooked in the corner of the mouth. Few casts later I hooked and landed a dink smallie.
By the time I got to my car the wind was unbearable so I swapped for spinning rod with 1/8 oz. jighead with curly tail and headed back on the river.
After about an hour with no bite I hooked and landed a river redhorse. Again not a snag which was super surprising. By then I had enough and headed back to my car.
Right by the parking lot I found a nice pocket of water on the backside of the bridge pillar. I dropped my bait and pulled an ok pike which was the highlight of the trip.
Sorry no pics, my phone was in the pocket of my pants inside waders and I was just too lazy :moresarcasm:
matt_ski
Fishing Fanatic

Re: Kish 10-7

Postby Aux Pleins » Oct Sun 08, 2017 5:55 am

Nice report. Sometimes after fishing on a stingy section of river I'm itching to find a bridge or some sort of man made cover to cast at 8)
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Return to Kishwaukee River