Chance to fish the Kish

Do you fish the Kish?

Chance to fish the Kish

Postby Spi11 » Nov Tue 14, 2017 11:34 pm

I'll be spending some time over the next couple weeks occasionally working in the dekalb/sycamore area. Was planning on hitting the Kish if time allows. Question for those of you with knowledge of the river. Are pike prominent in the water and are they in the entire system. Looking back at some of the reports its hard to tell if it's more a pike or smallie River and if the reports are from the south branch or the main branch. Figure my chances my be better targeting pike with the time of year. Really looking forward to an opportunity exploring new water!

Thanks Much!
Spi11
Pan Fish

Re: Chance to fish the Kish

Postby Skifish1 » Nov Tue 14, 2017 11:57 pm

Pike and smallies in both branches. Far more smallies in the river then pike. Keep in mind the kish has no dams aside from the dam in belvidere so there is big movement seasonally of fish, many head to rock river in winter. Id say just use your judgement when weather is reasonable and do some casting in public access areas and keep your fingers crossed. Cold weather fishing in open water is just bonus time better to be pleasently surprised then disappointed.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Nov Wed 15, 2017 6:52 am

Some suggestions: Try the park South of the tracks in DeKalb. Try where the Kish flows under Rte 64. Try Russell Woods on Rte 72 West of Genoa.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby matt_ski » Nov Wed 15, 2017 7:46 am

ya Skiifish nailed it. Fish migrate and by now there are very few smallies or pike left in the kish. I feel that this late in the season catching a pike over there is more probable than catching a smallie, and catching a carp is more probable than catching a pike, but im no expert
matt_ski
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Spi11 » Nov Wed 15, 2017 4:29 pm

Thanks for the info. Had an uncle who used to live in the Rockford area along the Rock. I remember them talking all the time about if the fish were running, maybe that explains what they were talking about.

Well, if I have time I'll check it out. I'll make sure to have some carp flys.
Spi11
Pan Fish

Postby Rambler » Nov Thu 16, 2017 6:46 am

Forgot 1 - check out the DeKalb forest preserve where Base Line Rd crosses the Kish.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Kishwaukee River