Looking to get out in the early am

One of Illinois most scenic rivers in Illinois, The Rock River is a great place to get your game fish on.

Looking to get out in the early am

Postby SeamonDemon » Mar Mon 14, 2016 5:47 pm

What's up I'm thinking about hitting up the rock river tonight for some flat head. I usually go around Oregon il,which is about 2hr from me. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or if anyone knows of any dams which produce???? Thanks in advanced
SeamonDemon
Minnow

Re: Looking to get out in the early am

Postby prince o pike » Mar Tue 15, 2016 3:00 pm

yo your best bet is to head to any dam from antioch to dixon and fish for walleye and sauger with curly tails and minnows. Jerk baits like countdowns or x-raps fished slowly will produce as well :idea:
prince o pike
Fishing Czar

Postby 1080tommy » Mar Tue 15, 2016 4:35 pm

I went down to Oregon last year and did pretty good. Be careful because if you launch at the state launch and go towards the dam, you will be on the upriver side of the dam and it is deceiving. They have buoys out normally but this early they may not be out. Do not go over the dam in Oregon or you will be in big trouble. However, the cat fishing down there is pretty good or at least it was last year. We just looked for a hard bottom with deeper holes or under cut banks. Then we just used a slip sinker rig with suckers and they were willing to hit. I like the advice about the curly tails and jerkbaits as well. Never know what you could get down there. Good luck and stay safe.
1080tommy
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SeamonDemon » Mar Tue 15, 2016 9:40 pm

Thanks for the tips, ended up just going by busse. It was supposed to rain and didn't feel like driving out there to stand in it
SeamonDemon
Minnow

Return to Rock River