$399.99 a year /fishing forums will suffer (and already are)

General news and updates regarding the site.

Re: $399.99 a year /fishing forums will suffer (and already

Postby RonG » Apr Fri 17, 2020 10:51 pm

DasGoby wrote:Given the way they've treated people. Why would anyone trust them again?

Photobucket is back to playing games. :thumbdown:

A couple of months ago, I subscribed to a pay version for $5.99 a month that allows hosting and posting pics onto sites like WCF. This morning I get an email saying my package no longer provides hosting. :twisted: That's why I subscribed! It only took them 2 months to pull the carpet out from under me, AGAIN. I went immediately to cancel my subscription. No can do. They won't let you do that yourself. "You can check out any time, but you can never leave." You have to write them an email with a request and hope some idiot will approve your request.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby vman01 » Apr Fri 17, 2020 11:17 pm

Hook, line and sinker for now. keep tugging and see what happens "G"
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby minstrel » Apr Sat 18, 2020 10:37 am

Unbeleivable :roll: But not unexpected...

I've been a happily satisfied user of Imgur ever since Photobucket first started pulling tricks. For free too. I highly suggest making the switch.
minstrel
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Apr Sat 18, 2020 11:37 am

Better yet, shit-can cloud-based stuff. Sometimes inconvenience is worth it.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » May Thu 14, 2020 8:05 am

RonG wrote:
DasGoby wrote:Given the way they've treated people. Why would anyone trust them again?

Photobucket is back to playing games. :thumbdown:

A couple of months ago, I subscribed to a pay version for $5.99 a month that allows hosting and posting pics onto sites like WCF. This morning I get an email saying my package no longer provides hosting. :twisted: That's why I subscribed! It only took them 2 months to pull the carpet out from under me, AGAIN. I went immediately to cancel my subscription. No can do. They won't let you do that yourself. "You can check out any time, but you can never leave." You have to write them an email with a request and hope some idiot will approve your request.

vman01 wrote:Hook, line and sinker for now. keep tugging and see what happens "G"

Well, they didn't honor my request to cancel my new subscription and hit my credit card for another month. (actually, no one responded, period) Then about 10 days later, they canceled it and refunded the last charge. Now every other day I get an annoying email from them saying I've exceeded my storage limit and I need to pick a pay plan. I'm guessing the emails will continue until I croak.

So................... when I had a free account, my volume of pics was fine, but they blurred and watermarked all of them if they were posted into a report. Then I joined a pay plan and all was fine for a month or two until they changed their terms telling me I needed to pay even more. I quit, go back to free and get non-stop hassled that I'm over-storage. I'm guessing they will now delete photos that they wouldn't have had I not joined a stupid pay plan temporarily. What a crappy company they've become. :thumbdown:
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby DasGoby » May Thu 14, 2020 9:21 am

You need to move on. Call your credit card company and have them block future charges from them, flag their emails as spam, go to a decent photo hosting company.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cyanatic » Jul Thu 16, 2020 2:36 pm

threeats407 wrote:Have used Flickr for years.

Same thing happened to me with Photobucket. I've been using my Flickr account since Photobucket pulled out. That means my PB I posted on here in 2016 is gone. Have to go find the original file! :wink:
Good fishing,

Steve

" Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it"
-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Jul Fri 17, 2020 8:36 am

Why don't you just do it the "old fashioned" - non-cloud way? Is it really that inconvenient?
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cyanatic » Sep Thu 10, 2020 2:16 pm

Love those Zombiefish Chronicles photos! Like most of you, I used PB for many websites, fishing and sport related. I've had a flickr account for years so I've been using that for the last few months. "Somewhere" on my hard drive I have numerous fishing pics backed up. I went digging through this forum a few weeks ago to see if some of my posts from 2016 had photos still up and they appeared to still be there even though they were hosted on PB.

About "The Cloud". I'm okay with using the cloud as back up, but I always keep copies on my computer and the numerous external back up drives I use. Even those fail eventually. Digital is not forever. I've got thousands of street photographs I've taken over the years and I've only made prints of a small percentage. I use Adobe Lightroom for my photography editing since I don't need, use, or like heavy Photoshop editing. I understand that you can only use PS as a cloud based subcription app now, no more disks to load on your computer. Last version of LR I have was still disk loaded to local computer. But I used to play military strategy type wargames and almost everything has to go through Steam now. I much prefer a disk on a standalone computer. Some programmer at Steam doesn't need to know how many hours I waste in a futile attempt to breakthrough to Arnhem or defeat the Germans at Kasserine Pass.
Good fishing,

Steve

" Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it"
-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Game Fish

Previous

Return to WindyCityFishing.com News, Site Issues and Updates