Ouch! don't let a bass do this to you

General news and updates regarding the site.

Ouch! don't let a bass do this to you

Postby localyokal » Jul Thu 23, 2015 1:17 pm

Headed out to Mazonia, south unit this morning with Jim to do a little tube fishing. Morning started out good. Fish were biting. We were both catching fish, bass 13" to 14". Jim was getting his on soft plastics and spinner baits. I stuck with a top water prop bait. Around 7:30 I hooked into my 9th bass, while landing the fish, he jumped and this happened. Fish was still attached and after a few tense seconds I managed to subdue and immobilize the fish (not quite as easy in a tube). While paddling over to Jim I managed to get the fish off. Hook was buried way to deep to try the string removal trick so it was off to the medical center to get it cut out. Didn't have any side cutters, so I had to drive home with the lure in my finger. Cut the hook off at home and headed to the medical center in town. Waited twenty minutes to be seen, only to be told they didn't have any one there who could cut it out there, so it was off the their office in Coal City. Getting the shot to numb the finger was almost as painful as getting hooked. Everything's good now, back after 'em on the morning.
" Opportunities are missed by most people because they are dressed in overalls and look like work"
localyokal
Fishing Czar

Re: Ouch! don't let a bass do this to you

Postby ohoffm » Jul Thu 23, 2015 1:28 pm

That does not even look close to be able to pull out. Glad they were able to patch you up.

Maybe you can turn your misery into profit by doing a true stories from the lake ad for Lucid Grips?
The easiest way is rarely the best way
ohoffm
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby bassman29 » Jul Thu 23, 2015 1:44 pm

holy tetanus. glad it all worked
odds are your catch was someones release...pay it forward
for homemade plastics please see link for pricing. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65154&p=661586#p661586
bassman29
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby TheWoz » Jul Thu 23, 2015 2:03 pm

Ouch!!! Glad you're in good repair!
I need to release a promocode:savethefingers haha
http://www.LucidFishing.com
Lucid Fishing Grips
Http://facebook.com/lucidfishingproducts
Instagram.com/lucidfishing
Hobie Fishing Team
TheWoz
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Theshocker1293 » Jul Thu 23, 2015 2:36 pm

Oh death!! Those trebles are definitely buried deep. Might wanna invest in a small net for the tube.
"Sappers Clear the Way!"

"To become a Master-Angler you must first be a Master-Baiter!"
Theshocker1293
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » Jul Thu 23, 2015 2:42 pm

Glad it worked out Mike. I had a bass do that to me a few years ago, now I always carry pliers but like the one that stuck you, I don’t think I’d be able to do the fishing line trick or ‘push it through’ as it was buried deep into the thumb and drove 25 miles home with a popper attached. Hardest part was trying not to punch out the bass that was still fighting.

Now I always carry pliers, I don’t know if I’m tough enough to push it through if it too deep but with the remote waters I fish and things I have to load back up in the car, cutting the lure off and trimming the hook down might help by reducing further snagging till the ER gets to it.

Once hooked twice shy… Now most fish I catch with trebles in them I try to let the pliers do all the work and either hold them by the body/gil plate or keep them in the net or water. I also try to put a death grip on the jaw but in a split second as you know, the fish thrashes and you’re hooked.

Looks like you were fishing near the doctors place?
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby WetWader » Jul Thu 23, 2015 2:55 pm

knocking on wood, never had one go past the barb yet. Hope your finger is ok.
WetWader
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Jul Thu 23, 2015 3:19 pm

Had a hook in my thumb this spring. I fish barbless hooks so I was able to back it out but it still hurt. Yours must have been really painfull. Glad you are on the road to recovery. ~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ffishman » Jul Thu 23, 2015 4:40 pm

I wish they would pass a law and make all hooks barbless. Too many times I've had a fish swallow a hook, deep, and I cannot get it out. Or while trying to get it out, the fish dies. That hurts.
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day, you do the math
ffishman
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » Jul Thu 23, 2015 6:15 pm

^^ ff are you fishing a lot of live or organic bait i don't get a lot of fish that swallow hooks that can't be safely retrieved? Just curious. Then again I mostly bass fish with lures.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby coyote » Jul Thu 23, 2015 6:38 pm

Mike sorry to hear but glad you able to get back out , im so overdue for this to happen.
coyote
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby BassCaster » Jul Thu 23, 2015 7:18 pm

Glad it worked out Mike. Hate treble hooks :roll:
I spent half my money on fishing, gambling, alcohol, women and billiards. The other half I wasted.
BassCaster
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby ChiCityYaker » Jul Thu 23, 2015 10:18 pm

wow man glad you're ok!
Add me on social media
http://www.Instagram.com/ChiCityYaker
http://www.Twitter.com/ChiCityYaker
http://www.Facebook.com/ChiCityYaker

Subscribe to see all of my vids, reviews, tips, and vlogs
http://www.YouTube.com/ChiCityYaker
ChiCityYaker
Fishing Czar

Postby localyokal » Jul Fri 24, 2015 6:16 am

Great advice joetrain and ffishman

Thanks for the kind sentiments. It was really kind of a freak thing and kind of unique to tubing as I was hooked in the hand that I had around the line to guide the fish in and try to control the fish so I could grab it with my other hand. The fish jumped up right at the hand guiding the line as I was reaching for it with the other hand and caught me on the way down. It all happened in an instant and in that case it wouldn't have mattered if I was reaching to grab the fish with my hands or a Lucid grips or similar device. But certainly there is always a risk when grabbing a fish with your hand, while the fish has with a lure full of trebles, that would make it much, much, safer with a pair of Lucid Grips and they will purchased in the near future. A net is really a bit impractical to carry around tubing but a Lucid grip or similar type device certainly isn't.

joetrain and ffishman really pointed out the right solution which is barbless hooks. I had actually thought about pinching down the barbs on the lure when I started using the prop bait with three sets of trebles on a more regular basis. It doesn't really matter how you handle a fish, any time you get your hands close to struggling fish with a mouth full of trebles, there is a chance the fish will jump, flip, twist, or move in such a matter that you can end up with a hook in you. As bad as it was, I was still fortunate that I was hooked in a place where I could still subdue and get control of the fish. Really could have been much worse. Barbless hooks ARE the answer! My procrastination to pinch down the barbs cost me a painful lesson. One that I know will be repeated by others but hopefully not by readers of this thread.

I have used them (barbless hooks) before and my experience is the same as others who have used them - YOU RARELY LOOSE A FISH BECAUSE THE HOOK IS BARBLESS. Why I and many others of us continue to use barbed trebles when it is so simple to replace them or just pinch the barbs down, especially for recreational fishing where there is no big money on the line, is a mystery and just plain not smart. As ffishman has pointed out (and probably others in the past) barbed trebles are bad for the fish. They are really an outdated concept and outdated marketing strategy by the tackle manufactures. I wouldn't and don't expect the tackle manufacturers to change anytime soon but it is an easy personal fix.

So just considered this a reminder to pinch those barbs down on those multiple hook lures.
" Opportunities are missed by most people because they are dressed in overalls and look like work"
localyokal
Fishing Czar

Postby Skifish1 » Jul Sat 25, 2015 10:52 pm

Hope the hand is healing okay Mike. I've had 3 buried trebles in the last 2 years and its all due to not using a net or grip. I was using grips for a couple years but stopped and now am using a net. Several weeks ago I had a barb buried (hand was attached to a smallmouth and squarebill at same time). After unhooking the fish and assessing the situation I ended up pulling the hook enough to sneak in cutters to cut the embedded hook and left the hook in. I had to paddle and leave it in for a long time to get back to van. Contemplated going the medical center route but nothing in the area so I decided I would make a small incision next to the hook and just pull as hard as I could. It took about 10 attempts and I was pulling super hard and eventually I pulled it out. It seemed I had to pull way harder then I had to do on a fishes mouth. What a nightmare. I can't believe how much of a holding power a barb has. I've never tried barbless hooks but I have pinched barbs for western state trout fishing just since the fish are so sensitive and need to be released to the water as quickly as possible.

What was amazing though I was shocked how quickly my finger healed compared to other finger injuries I've had. I think it was because I got control of the fish quickly so there was little thrashing and there wasn't much of hole even though buried deep. Really amazing how fast it healed I've had gill raked fingers and other barb issues that were much uglier healing situations.

Of course this all pales in comparison to Kamala's stick in the mouth... :roll:
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby achotrod » Jul Sun 26, 2015 1:06 pm

Ouch! Glad your back out already.

On a yak I always have my lucids ready but on the boat not so much. I always use a net and have long needle nose pliers and do not even attempt to put my hands near the fishes mouth without removing the bait first. I dread the day I have a 25+ pound Muskie thrashing around with a huge treble buried in me.
achotrod
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby bapentec » Jul Sun 26, 2015 7:03 pm

ouch
bapentec
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FISHdank » Jul Mon 27, 2015 8:44 pm

Ouchy!! Been there done thay, but it was a pike not a bass.
I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
FISHdank
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cyanatic » Jul Fri 15, 2016 4:43 pm

I know this is an older thread, but I'm sure glad I read it. Time to pinch down the barbs on my trebles. Thanks for sharing this. I thought I was a wimp because I always keep a pair of needle nose in my pocket to grab the hook, single or treble, before I ever grab the fishes lip. I'd rather not have a treble or a 3/0 Gamakatsu going through my hand if I can help it.
Good fishing,

Steve

" Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it"
-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Pan Fish

Postby ChiCityYaker » Jul Fri 15, 2016 7:02 pm

Funny you revived this thread Cyanatic....I recently had the same thing happen to me!!! Hook was buried deep in my finger and got it all on film. Hook was in to the bend but I had two buddies that were able to use the little trick to pop it out...and it sure did literally POP out of my finger.

[youtube]03oA1xjzM8U[/youtube]
Add me on social media

ChiCityYaker
Fishing Czar

Postby cyanatic » Jul Sat 16, 2016 1:06 am

Love your vids, Yaker! Hope your hand is okay. Good thing your friends knew the trick to pop that out. Those were some nice fish, too. It's 12:52 am and watching your damn vid has got me wanting to go fishing!
Good fishing,

Steve

" Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it"
-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Pan Fish

Postby ChiCityYaker » Jul Sat 16, 2016 2:32 am

Thx Steve...yeah I'm glad too otherwise I was going to be screwed. Get out this wkd man, I know I am :D
Add me on social media

ChiCityYaker
Fishing Czar

Return to WindyCityFishing.com News, Site Issues and Updates