Tons of hidden spam links on the homepage

General news and updates regarding the site.

Tons of hidden spam links on the homepage

Postby kramgunderson » Apr Sun 03, 2016 10:26 am

I assume it's not supposed to be there, but there a bunch of hidden links on the main homepage of this site. Up at the top of the page, where it says "Chicago Area Fishing Information and Reports" and the paragraphs below, you can hover your mouse over it, and that entire section is linked to a bunch of totally unrelated sites. The links are on seemingly random words too. I accidentally clicked while trying to scroll on my trackpad, and was taken to some Italian news website.

Between this and the DraftKings redirect on mobile, and I'm wondering if the site has been hacked/compromised?
kramgunderson

Re: Tons of hidden spam links on the homepage

Postby Caught at Dawn » Aug Sun 21, 2016 9:24 am

Thinking the same thing. I can barely navigate the site on mobile anymore. And it is only this site. No other sites have issues.
"There is something else I am after, out here in the wild. I am searching for an even more elusive prey . . . something that can only be found through the help of wilderness. I am looking for my heart."
John Eldredge, Wild at Heart.
Caught at Dawn
Game Fish

Postby RonG » Aug Sun 21, 2016 12:18 pm

kramgunderson wrote: and I'm wondering if the site has been hacked/compromised?

Nah, that's what happens when you sell your soul and website to a big internet marketing company like Verticalscope. The links are not hidden but words and phrases picked out and linked to ads to advertisers.

After awhile, between crap like that and all the flashing banner ads all over the pages, your browser bogs down and even stalls with 'unresponsive script' type messages. Some sites I won't even visit because it happens every time and I have to reboot my browser every time to clear it. Hopefully, WCF isn't fast approaching the greed of trying to squeeze in more and more advertising until it becomes so frustrating to navigate, that the members give up.

One other site (also purchased by Verticalpoop) was putting banner ads on top of and massively covering over every fish photo I posted and that was enough for me....
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Aug Sun 21, 2016 12:37 pm

RonG wrote:One other site (also purchased by Verticalpoop) was putting banner ads on top of and massively covering over every fish photo I posted and that was enough for me....

I hadn't visited that site in awhile, just checked it out now and saw that Verticalpoop is now putting decent sized ads on the bottom of EVERY SINGLE post or reply in a thread. The majority were for things like Metastatic Melanoma, lung cancer and type 2 diabetes. Who on earth wants to see that bummer crap on every post of a thread? That's when everyone leaves and they've shot themselves in the foot with greedy advertising. I could understand a few ads to Bass Pro, Cabela's, Ford pickups or the Banjo Minnow folks, but come on, melanoma meds???!!?? :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby BrookfieldAngler » Aug Sun 21, 2016 4:19 pm

I can barely ever read anything of I'm on my phone. I have to swipe out of this stupid pop up every 4 seconds
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nick - BrookFieldAngler.com
Hobie Fishing Team · LucidFishing · Biovex · StankX · Quest Watersports · Railblaza
BrookfieldAngler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby WaterGuy » Aug Sun 21, 2016 4:25 pm

BrookfieldAngler wrote:I can barely ever read anything of I'm on my phone. I have to swipe out of this stupid pop up every 4 seconds

I have the same issue viewing the site on my iPhone. No issues on my android phone using chrome browser. If it happened with both, I don't think I would visit the site much honestly. If the ads/pop ups become too annoying, i'm out.
WaterGuy
2013 WCF Fantasy Football Champion

Postby Caught at Dawn » Aug Sun 21, 2016 5:07 pm

Brookfield that is the same exact screen I get every page I open. I already haven't been able to keep with replies to posts and stuff because of it.
"There is something else I am after, out here in the wild. I am searching for an even more elusive prey . . . something that can only be found through the help of wilderness. I am looking for my heart."
John Eldredge, Wild at Heart.
Caught at Dawn
Game Fish

Postby RonG » Aug Sun 21, 2016 5:22 pm

BrookfieldAngler wrote:I can barely ever read anything of I'm on my phone. I have to swipe out of this stupid pop up every 4 seconds

The mob rules!

That really stinks. I'm glad I don't use my phone for this site.
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby BassCaster » Aug Mon 22, 2016 10:49 am

No issues on my Iphone at all :?
Everything works fine.
I spent half my money on fishing, gambling, alcohol, women and billiards. The other half I wasted.
BassCaster
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby BrookfieldAngler » Aug Mon 22, 2016 11:15 am

Haven't had the problem today. Seems like the corporate owners try to get away with as much as possible until the community complains. This isn't the first time that this has happened since the takeover.
Nick - BrookFieldAngler.com
Hobie Fishing Team · LucidFishing · Biovex · StankX · Quest Watersports · Railblaza
BrookfieldAngler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Scipio24 » Aug Mon 22, 2016 12:05 pm

I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser with an add-on called NoScript. https://noscript.net/

This allows you (the user) to manually control all the scripts running on every web page. By default, every script is disabled in the beginning and you can go through to your normal browsing sites and permanently allow ONLY the scripts that are necessary to accomplish what you are doing. For example, here is a screen shot of the NoScript in my browser while looking at this site:

You can see that I've only allowed "windycityfishing.com" and "ru4.com" to run and I have zero adds show on my screen because I have their scripts all disabled.

Of course the downside is that on some webpages, you need to load a fair number of scripts to get the website to functionality, but I think it's worth the manual task of enabling scripts. You can either permanently allow script one at a time or you can just click "Temporarily allow all this page" if it's a trusted site and have it for just that session.

I can't comment specifically on the mobile issue as I do my browsing on my pc/tablet, but I do know that there is a NoScript version for android Firefox browser.

This drastically cuts down on ads and crap on screen during your internet browsing experience. Hope this can help someone out.
~Scott
Scipio24
Fishing Fanatic

Postby RonG » Aug Mon 22, 2016 9:07 pm

Thanks Scipio24. I think I'll try that one out.
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to WindyCityFishing.com News, Site Issues and Updates