1/24 Faint Heat Signature

General news and updates regarding the site.

1/24 Faint Heat Signature

Postby RonG » Jan Wed 25, 2017 12:55 pm

http://fox6now.com/2017/01/25/town-of-l ... e-fishing/

I'd say it's probably time to give the ice fishing a rest in most places around here. At least know what you are doing out there and take some extra precautions if you insist on going.
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: 1/24 Faint Heat Signature

Postby catchafew » Jan Wed 25, 2017 1:24 pm

Sad news.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Darkstar72 » Jan Wed 25, 2017 1:25 pm

True Ron,

Haven't been out since it got warm.

We're headed into some sustained cold so I'm hopeful to check some areas Sunday but it'll just be a spud and walk out type of outing.
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jan Wed 25, 2017 1:34 pm

Yup, just when I was starting to get back into it, too. Was having fun with it. Time to wait it out. The unfortunate thing is it's pushing February, already. We may not get safe ice again this season...
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jan Wed 25, 2017 1:36 pm

Wow - I know a guy by that name. Have to check it out.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Fonzie » Jan Wed 25, 2017 2:23 pm

IIRC, at the height of the cold snap 10 or 12 days ago? folks were reporting 5-7" on Geneva {in select areas}. The rest of the lake had even less ice cover...
Considering the weather of the last week or so, I just can't get my head around walking out on the ice at Linn Pier at 3:00 in the morning. His poor family must be absolutely heartbroken.

Lo the angler. He riseth in the early morning and upsetteth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth with great hope in his heart and when the day is far spent, he returneth, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him.
Fonzie
Game Fish

Postby urbanHog312 » Jan Wed 25, 2017 2:36 pm

this guy had probably been on far worse ice conditions hundreds of times. but all it takes is once.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby BASSPROMATUK » Jan Wed 25, 2017 2:44 pm

This is very sad news but also reminds us why it is usually not a good idea, especially on a lake of that size, to venture out alone...

BPM
If you are trying to reach me and I am not available, I am at Vulcan Lakes slaying monsters...
BASSPROMATUK
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby BassCaster » Jan Wed 25, 2017 3:17 pm

SmalliesNEyes wrote: The unfortunate thing is it's pushing February, already. We may not get safe ice again this season...

Yup same as last year :roll:
I spent half my money on fishing, gambling, alcohol, women and billiards. The other half I wasted.
BassCaster
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Jan Wed 25, 2017 3:50 pm

SmalliesNEyes wrote:The unfortunate thing is it's pushing February, already. We may not get safe ice again this season...

BassCaster wrote:Yup same as last year :roll:

Better get used to it gents. Even Rex Tillerson says global warming is for real. My wife & I were just talking about it the other day. When we were kids winters were much more intense. I remember standing in my backyard in Feb with lots of snow & the same snow was there in March.

But that was in the early 60s. We had to worry about being nuked by the Ruskies but we could go ice skating all winter long. Now we have to worry about the Ruskies hacking our elections and if you want to go ice skating it's not in the flooded area of your local park. Life is full of compromise...
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jan Wed 25, 2017 4:07 pm

Rambler wrote:
SmalliesNEyes wrote:The unfortunate thing is it's pushing February, already. We may not get safe ice again this season...

BassCaster wrote:Yup same as last year :roll:

Better get used to it gents. Even Rex Tillerson says global warming is for real. My wife & I were just talking about it the other day. When we were kids winters were much more intense. I remember standing in my backyard in Feb with lots of snow & the same snow was there in March.

But that was in the early 60s. We had to worry about being nuked by the Ruskies but we could go ice skating all winter long. Now we have to worry about the Ruskies hacking our elections and if you want to go ice skating it's not in the flooded area of your local park. Life is full of compromise...

Was similar, even when I was a kid. I have a 16 year old daughter. She hasn't had snow pants since she was 8 or 9. I have a 9 year old daughter, and I bought her first pair this year in that first decent snow we had. When I was young... I got a new pair every damn year because it always snowed and I was outgrowing them/beating them to hell by spending so much time out in the snow. It would snow in November, and it would last all through the winter into March or early April. Even when I was in my late teens - early 20's, I bought snowmobiles and kept them at my parents house in the yard. I'd be on them all winter. Sold them off about 6-7 years ago because we weren't getting enough snow, ever. I didn't have a trailer, and it wasn't worth my time to buy one, register them, insure them, and trailer them up north into Wisconsin.

Don't get me wrong... open water just means more time on my boat fishing, which I will never complain about, but the ice fishing thing is fun to do, and a different experience. I've had some of the best times fishing in my life just being out on the ice with a group of friends, fishing, grilling, and having some adult beverages chilled in the snow.

Whole different ballgame, now. I can fish by boat 10 months of the year, basically.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Jan Wed 25, 2017 4:23 pm

I'm 33 and there is a stark difference from the winters when I was a kid. Time to grab a waterfront cabin on Green Bay, soon enough it will be prime beachfront property.

One thing I remember about winter as a kid was in 2nd grade if we lost a snow boot (and loose them we did), our teacher would tape an old bread bag around our foot at the end of the day and send us on our way walking home. She said the cold wouldn't hurt us but the wetness would. When it happened to me my mom sent me to school the next morning with a donation of bread bags. If that happened nowadays there would be courts and investigative reporters involved.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jan Wed 25, 2017 4:37 pm

Brett wrote:Time to grab a waterfront cabin on Green Bay, soon enough it will be prime beachfront property.

If global warming gets bad enough to effect Lake Michigan you might as well hang it up 'cause the whole planet will be cooking.

BUT - and it's a big one - joetrain better get all the FL fishing in he can because when the ice caps really start to melt FL is in deep shit - and water.

BTW - it's the 50th anniversary of the blizzard of '67. I remember it like it was yesterday. My band was practicing in the basement of a neighborhood church. When we came out it was a white out. My Mom got her car (Chevy Corvair) stuck on Lawrence Ave. My Dad somehow got it in front of our house. It sat there for weeks - and Corvairs had tons of traction.

They were building a new apartment building next to our house. My idiot big brother went up to the 2nd floor & jumped out into a drift. He lost his car keys in the drift - we didn't find them until Spring. Ah...the old days!
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jan Wed 25, 2017 4:41 pm

Rambler wrote:
Brett wrote:Time to grab a waterfront cabin on Green Bay, soon enough it will be prime beachfront property.

If global warming gets bad enough to effect Lake Michigan you might as well hang it up 'cause the whole planet will be cooking.

BUT - and it's a big one - joetrain better get all the FL fishing in he can because when the ice caps really start to melt FL is in deep shit - and water.

Florida will become a reef... Same with all the coastal areas...
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jan Wed 25, 2017 4:42 pm

SmalliesNEyes wrote:Florida will become a reef... Same with all the coastal areas...

Great for divers!
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Jan Wed 25, 2017 4:54 pm

Trust me I am getting in enough fishing time in for 3 people. The blizzard of 67 was the first time I could remember and probably my only time of getting a "snow day."
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Jan Wed 25, 2017 7:14 pm

I really thought it was going to be a long season with the ice we had a week before xmas. I guess that's what we get for living on southern extreme edge of ice fishing territory.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby RonG » Jan Thu 26, 2017 1:30 am

Well, I'm sitting here bored. I should be on the ice now at 11:47 pm, but all these news stories of guys falling through have me staying home. Obviously, man-made global warming didn't kill this guy.

I don't know the deceased angler, the circumstances or the exact conditions, but it's got me pondering, "what went wrong?". Obviously, any time you go through the ice, other than just your boots at shore, it was a FAIL. Something wasn't done right. Just some of my thoughts....

Fishing solo: I do it 95% of the time, even at night. Some say never go alone. If I followed that rule, I'd be home 95% of the time and almost never ice fish. Fishing with a partner didn't work out very well with the 2 guys fishing Channel Lake on Sunday. How did that work out? They both went through. The guide extracted himself and made it to shore. He left his customer out in the lake for 30 minutes drinking lake water and sucking ice cubes. I still can't believe the 2nd guy survived.

Night fishing: I do that too, but feel a lot more comfortable if I can get there before sunset and see and check out the ice before dark. Night adds a whole new level of danger, especially on big water. I've been on Bangs at night, left my shanty to go exploring and drill some new holes and had trouble finding my shanty and gear that was less than 100' away, even with the lights of Wauconda. Late at night there's no one to see you or hear your screams. You're on your own, bud.

Without snow cover to follow your tracks back makes trouble too. You got out there safely, but may not make it back safely unless following the same exact course home. You waders can relate. How many times have you waded out and can't seem to find your way back to shore without being in water so deep it'll fill your waders? It's happened to me. Same concept.

Spud bar: I can't imagine walking out on uncertain ice without one. Why would you? How the H. do you even know what you are walking on?

Ice spikes: I never take them off anymore, even if fishing on 18" of ice that I've been fishing for weeks and it hasn't been above freezing. With my luck, the day I don't wear them is the day I fall through.

Big, deep water or water like Channel Lake with current: I doubt if Geneva ever freezes over with 100% safe ice ever. To be out there at 3 am after 10 days of warm temps and rain was insane. Probably with no spud or no ice spikes...

Extra precautions: I go out wearing a life vest early ice, late ice or after a goofy mid-season warm. So, I look like a dork? I don't care. No one's watching me at midnight either. I've also fished in my scuba farmer johns when I was in doubt also. I know they will buy me a lot of of time because I've ice dived with them. I've floated down the Menominee River sitting on an ice chunk and even stopped the traffic on US41 from all the gawkers that stopped on the bridge to stare. Honestly, I've never heard of anyone else ever going ice fishing in a wet or dry suit. Imagine having hours to extract yourself or to be rescued instead of just a few minutes. :idea: Heck, even this Geneva guy could have fallen through after 3 am and been alive and well when the drone came looking for him after the sun came up if he was suited up.

Boozahol: Getting loaded doesn't fit well with ice fishing, kayaking or boating. I believe a lot of the ice fatalities are from drinking heavily. It causes guys to make stupid decisions in the first place and put themselves into peril. After they fall through, they can't make rational thoughts on getting out or give up too quickly on getting out. Keep chugging and bragging about it, Ice Mafia members. It'll get you someday if you don't perish on the roads driving home first, you losers.

Ice: Is weird, wild stuff. I was having a discussion with a business associate of how I never will walk out on ice with out a purpose to be there. I walk a lot and will never just see a pond walking or driving by and just go out on it. It sounds obvious, but if you don't walk on ice, you won't go through or die from falling through. If you are going to walk out on the ice, just know what you are doing, have safety measures in place and have ways to check the ice.

Just my 200 cents. Anything I missed?
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby mack » Jan Thu 26, 2017 7:24 am

Nope, well stated.
mack
Game Fish

Postby RonG » Jan Thu 26, 2017 10:14 am

Yep, I missed one.

Boot cleats: Ice is hard, nasty stuff. A spill can hurt you bad or kill you. I remember reading of an experienced roller-blader lady that took a spill while blading one of the paved trails at Busse. She hit her head and died on the spot. I've got a friend that 2 years ago fainted and somehow broke his neck when he hit the ceramic tile. He's now a quadriplegic and ends up back in the hospital with some complication about every other month.

Logically you could do the same falling on the ice.

Not even thought of by many, is falling through the ice from falling. Thinner ice may hold your weight walking on it, but might not hold if you fall full force on it. It's happened... Cleat your feet!
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jan Thu 26, 2017 10:46 am

Ron: Orthopedic surgeons LOVE roller-bladers! They're among their best customers. Anyone doing it without proper protection including helmets is asking for trouble.

As for the rest of your advice, I guess it's spot on. Don't know since I make it a practice not to walk on frozen lakes.

I remember when my best buddy & I 'discovered' Beck Lake back in the 60s. We'd hiked up there from River Trails in the winter. Wouldn't go out on the ice out of caution. Then in the Spring when things were warming up & the ice was all slushy we went out on it. Dumb shit kids...
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby DasGoby » Jan Thu 26, 2017 10:49 am

Good write-up Ron. I agree on all counts.

I'll add 3 things:

1) Beware of the snow -- makes it harder to spot weak spots, harder to spud, insulates open/thin spots, weight of snow must be supported by the ice.

2) Be mentally prepared. Know what to do if you should fall through.

3) Be fit. From stories I've heard of people falling through, there definitely is a correlation between fitness + swimming ability and how people have managed after falling through. Yes you can still die if you are fit because the cold water is very incapacitating but a fit person who can swim well stands a much better chance at getting back on top of the ice than an out of shape 300 lb dude who can't swim.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jan Thu 26, 2017 12:17 pm

DasGoby wrote:Good write-up Ron. I agree on all counts.

I'll add 3 things:

1) Beware of the snow -- makes it harder to spot weak spots, harder to spud, insulates open/thin spots, weight of snow must be supported by the ice.

2) Be mentally prepared. Know what to do if you should fall through.

3) Be fit. From stories I've heard of people falling through, there definitely is a correlation between fitness + swimming ability and how people have managed after falling through. Yes you can still die if you are fit because the cold water is very incapacitating but a fit person who can swim well stands a much better chance at getting back on top of the ice than an out of shape 300 lb dude who can't swim.

:lol:

I'm not fit, but also not unfit, I guess you can say, but agree with this. Problem being... many fisherman aren't, which is why they fish. Haha. Don't have to be a "working out 2 hours every day" "athlete" to fish for fun, or even amateur, or pro. You use your mind and your fingers/hands/wrists/arms for pretty much all of it. Just have to sit in place in a boat and figure out the fish.

People actually look at me like I'm stupid when I tell them I was ice fishing on 4-5 inches of ice. I then proceed to tell them the specifics on how much good ice is needed to hold specific things, and they seem dumbfounded. People don't realize how strong ice actually is, when it's good, solid ice. I think that's also part of the issue. Those who ice fish regularly think if there's 4 or 5 inches of ice, they're perfectly fine no matter what. Overconfidence, I guess you could say. But that doesn't mean it's 4-5 inches everywhere, or that there's not bad ice lingering around that may be 4-5 inches, but has slush in between layers of ice, or water unfrozen in between layers of ice, not to mention the weaker/poor ice near re-frozen holes that were drilled from previous outings, etc. Always better to be safe than sorry. That's what spud bars, safety ropes, and the like are for.

And ice cleats is a big one, Ron. I won't wear them if we have any kind of snow cover on top of the ice, usually, but if there's bare ice out there, they're on my feet no questions asked. Not worth the slip and fall, potential injuries from that, or falling and going through due to the impact of your weight on the ice.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jan Thu 26, 2017 1:22 pm

SmalliesNEyes wrote: Don't have to be a "working out 2 hours every day" "athlete" to fish for fun, or even amateur, or pro.

No shit. Have you seen Babe Winkelman lately? :D
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to WindyCityFishing.com News, Site Issues and Updates