in defense of a favorite

Open discussion forum. Shoot the breeze and chat about, well... whatever. Rated PG-13. PLEASE maintain and level of decency and respect.

in defense of a favorite

Postby bobberwatcher » Jun Wed 17, 2020 10:36 am

Not sure where to post this but I'm putting it here. It may be a bit of a rant but it won't be political, I promise. As I've said on here before, I only fish with a zebco 33 spincast combo(when you're done laughing, read on). I have plenty of other rods/reels, spinning and spincast to choose from, some expensive, some not. I've used all of them but no more. It bothers me that this combo has a bad rep as a novice combo, basically useless in many situations. I've caught everything from teeny tiny perch to huge catfish and 1 beserk steelhead on it. The rods I use for years and don't replace, the reels, with the proper maintenance, would probably last forever, but because they're so inexpensive, I switch them out every year or 2. They might moan, groan and complain if there's a really heavy carp or catfish on but they get the job done- and the abuse I put them through is no joke. River snags that have snapped other "better" rods in half are no problem for it, they just bend and contort like putty in my hands till I get loose and it takes a whole lot for that line to break, I use the line it comes with, 10 lb test, and I' usually have to cut the line if I can't get loose, it just doesn't break, handy when it comes to steelhead and it's worth it to me to use it in spite of the bad reactions/assumptions I get from some other anglers out there, you'd think I showed up with 2 heads, a cane pole and a safety pin. The only real drawback is that if I want to fish deeper than 8 ft with a slip bobber and the bobber stop goes in the reel, it just says no, ain't happening- but even then, I can sometimes force the issue. Ok, rant over. Happy fishing!
bobberwatcher
Fishing Czar

Re: in defense of a favorite

Postby joetrain » Jun Wed 17, 2020 10:57 am

To each his own I say. At least you don’t have to worry about breaking a $300 Loomis.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Jun Wed 17, 2020 11:04 am

I try to guess what every thread is about by it's title. This one I thought was going to be about BLM burning Aunt Jemima's butt to the ground. I will miss her but I do prefer real Canadian maple syrup.

I was the smallmouth king as a kid when I upgraded my 202 to a 33. At age 19, I found another one scuba diving the Menominee River. I caught everything from steelhead, walleyes and mountains of perch with that one.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Jun Wed 17, 2020 11:10 am

A woman after my own heart! You're a member of the AACB even if you don't know it.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby bobberwatcher » Jun Wed 17, 2020 11:39 am

Joetrain- yep!
RonG-aunt jemima? How, where do you come up with this stuff???? :lol: :lol: :lol: You found one submerged in water and were still able to use it? I rest my case.
Rambler- AACB?
bobberwatcher
Fishing Czar

Postby bobberwatcher » Jun Wed 17, 2020 11:46 am

RonG- wait a minute, scuba diving in the river? You must be kidding
bobberwatcher
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Jun Wed 17, 2020 11:54 am

Amalgamated Association of Cheap Bastards.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby bobberwatcher » Jun Wed 17, 2020 12:08 pm

Rambler- :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm honored to be a member
bobberwatcher
Fishing Czar

Postby RonG » Jun Wed 17, 2020 12:28 pm

bobberwatcher wrote:RonG-aunt jemima? How, where do you come up with this stuff????

Aunt Jemina is toast. It's all over the news today. Her pic has been toppled like a Confederate monument and they are also re-branding and are going to use a new name.

bobberwatcher wrote: You found one submerged in water and were still able to use it? I rest my case.

Yep. It was fresh and in great shape and I do believe likely from a then-recently killed boater. Two guys sat anchored right in this spot...

...they ignored the warning buzzer, one or two of those gates were openned and it instantly flipped their boat. On that Saturday, me and my roommate/dive partner/workmate/drummer were getting off a morning shift at noon from our factory that sat right on the river. We went to see what all the commotion of the emergency vehicles was. The capsized boat was still anchored by the dam, but the anglers were missing. Mr. Genius excitedly says, "let's race home and get our dive gear and help the rescue workers find them!" I replied, "'Sounds like a great idea, but what...what if we should find one of them? Ew!"

About a week later, in the general area, I found the Zebco 33 combo while diving.

One guy was easy to find. They found him underwater, attached to the boat with the anchor rope wrapped around his leg. The other guy got blown about 1/4 mile downstream and they found him underwater trapped with his foot wedged under a rock.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby bobberwatcher » Jun Wed 17, 2020 12:50 pm

Wow! What a story! And you guys went in the water when it looked like that? I honestly thought you were kidding, I didn't know river diving was a thing. Glad you didn't find a body. Ew indeed!
bobberwatcher
Fishing Czar

Postby RonG » Jun Wed 17, 2020 1:17 pm

bobberwatcher wrote:And you guys went in the water when it looked like that?

All the time. (we brought our own air with us to breathe down there. lol) Slower in the summer months, but man is that river strong! On the shore from where that picture was taken from, I remember being underwater, horizontal (in the position Superman flies) hanging on to a large rock or boulder facing upstream. The current was so strong, I'd feel the boulder start to flip and when it did, I'd go shooting downstream until I'd grab another rock until that one would also flip. Over and over...

On the other shore, up below the dam where it was rather deep, we found these tall, twisted columns of fishing line, lures, sinkers and mostly heavy weighted snag hooks. They were built by the whirlpools there. Too heavy to lift, we carved them up in chunks with our dive knives and brought them up in our heavy cloth dive gear bags. While we worked down there, we observed monstrous sturgeon and unearthly sized walleyes watching us. We pulled out maybe 150 lbs of lead from the river that weekend. Our dive instructor lent us some molds and we smelted all that lead into dive belt weights for ourselves and had many many more we sold to the dive shop. I didn't like it down in that spot because I knew we'd never hear the warning buzzer under water and was afraid of those whirlpools that built those statues of line and lead should they open up the dam.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby bobberwatcher » Jun Wed 17, 2020 3:40 pm

I would think that diving instrutor would be concerned about that also and would've deviced some sort of way for you guys to be alerted before whirling into those twisted towers, but all's well that ends well I guess. My minds eye is trying to picture the scene, especially those onlookers! I think I would've been more interested in bringing one of those back up with me! Great story, cool place- in a scary kinda way
bobberwatcher
Fishing Czar

Postby ganz1960 » Jun Mon 29, 2020 8:25 am

I've been using a Zebco 33 spincast collapsible rod combo since I started traveling more in the last 2 years. The reel has worked very well and the collapsible rod combo is easy to carry in my suitcase or backpack.
ganz1960
Pan Fish

Postby Rambler » Jun Tue 30, 2020 10:15 am

This is more annecdotal evidence supporting my theory that good fisherpeople catch fish with cheap gear.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to WindyCityTavern