Three's a charm?

Open discussion forum. Shoot the breeze and chat about, well... whatever. Rated PG-13. PLEASE maintain and level of decency and respect.

Three's a charm?

Postby Rambler » Mar Sat 20, 2021 11:25 am

This is a long read so if you're in a hurry stop now.

For background on this post see: https://www.windycityfishing.com/forums ... r+%2F+AACB

Before I reviewed that post I'd forgotten that I'd repaired my Old Town solo back in the 90s when I had it on loan from my best friend. The post "Rambler / AACB Canoe Repair" detailed my last attempt at repairing it. In keeping with my comments about doing a full-on fiberglass repair if the one done in June 2017 didn't last until I croak, I'm beginning that process. I intend to update my progress by adding to this post as I go along.

The canoe's current state of disrepair came about mostly from 2 occasions last season. The 1st was in the spring. I 'scootched' across the southern-most check dam at Skokie Lagoons when the water was just, almost high enough to get over. I gouged a nice divot in the keel. The 2nd was during the paddle Badger & I did on the DuPage in October. We dragged our boats from the DPR to the I&M across the bike path. I thought all I'd done was leave some paint on the path but clearly I did more damage than that.

After the incident at Skokie Lagoons I did a temporary patch with waterproof Gorilla Tape. That crap really works - maybe a bit too good. Trying to get it off is a MF. I viewed a number of Youtube vids but they all started after the tape was off & dealt with how to get off the sticky goo left over. I sent an email to the Gorilla Tape Co & asked for suggestions. They got back to me right away and said brute force is the only way (no kidding - that's what they said). At my age brute force isn't very brute so I tried a hair dryer & razor blade scraper. Works better than brute force. To get the goo off I used Goo Gone & a wallpaper scraper. Again, not too bad. I intend to take a roll of Gorilla Tape along if I go to the BWCA in the fall - could be a life saver.

So this morning I went out to where I keep it behind the garage at our 'new' digs (been here since Aug so it's starting to feel like home) to take pictures & do one last inspection before starting. Strangely, the former owners left a thing out there (the guy we bought the place from said it was there when he bought the house in 2009 & he had no idea what it was) that with a few modifications, makes for an excellent canoe rack.

You can see from the pictures how bad the damage is. You might also be able to see that there's water seeping out of the damaged parts. It got in during the rain this week so I have to wait until later today to give the sun some time to dry it out.

But here's what I'm planning: (All supplies cost less than $30 so this remains an AACB certified project).

1) Patch the damaged areas with Permatex Marine "H2O Hold" epoxy.
2) Fill in a couple of small holes in the gelcoat with Permatex Water Bond epoxy.
3) Sand it all
4) Apply 2 layers of Bondo fiberglass along most of the keel. I'll probably do 1 layer in some areas that aren't too bad.
5) Sand it all smooth
6) Paint everything with Rustoleum Hunter Green gloss.

Get it done before the end of March so I can get out there.

BTW - interesting to note that most of the WCFers who commented on my June 2017 post are still around. If anyone has any suggestions please chime in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Re: Three's a charm?

Postby joetrain » Mar Sat 20, 2021 12:25 pm

Should be a nice little project to keep you busy and back on the water.

In 93 I bought an Old Town Canadienne from Ralph Friese. The Canadienne was his own design that Old Town manufactured. Because of my own laziness I damaged the bow running it up on shore too many times. I took it to his shop for repair and he was livid that I treated “his” canoe so carelessly. He was really angry but after he calmed down he took it in for repair and did a first class job on it. When I picked it up he gave me a complete tour of his shop and a few history lessons.

About 2 years later I was at Skokie Lagoons. Here comes a tandem canoe and a guy with a red hat. It was Ralph. He said he saw the canoe, knew it was his and wanted to see who owned it. He remembered me and wanted to inspect it to see if I was taking care of it. He checked it out and I met his approval. We had a nice visit and he warned me that if he ever caught me not taking care of one of his boats he would take it away.

That guy was a legend in the canoe world.

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Mar Sat 20, 2021 12:37 pm

A legend indeed. And the definition of a cantankerous, crotchety old man.

Years ago a friend of my wife's wanted to buy her husband a canoe for his 40th. She called to ask my advice. I told her to go to Chicagoland Canoe Base but not to be scared off by Ralph.

She went but didn't buy a boat on her 1st visit. She called to tell me how difficult Ralph was to deal with. I said yes but you'll never find anyone who knows more about canoes. Told her to go back and buy a Canadienne & he'll be happy. She did it. Sometime later I introduced her hisband to the lower Fox in that canoe. He's been at it ever since.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Mar Sun 21, 2021 4:08 pm

I probably should have added to my last post that my wife's friend's husband is sorta, kinda famous around here. He has his own show on PBS. A few years after I took him down the Lower Fox he met up with Ralph & did a show on him. I didn't get credit or even a thank you for setting him on his path. Harumph!!! :lol:

Anyway, today I did the initial work on the canoe. Filled in some holes with Permatex Water Bond epoxy & filled in the tears along the keel with Permatex Marine "H2O Hold" epoxy. The photos show how it currently looks. Once it's all dry I'll sand it all & get it ready for the fiberglass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby RonG » Mar Tue 23, 2021 12:30 am

Looks like some yummy donut frosting! :moresarcasm:
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby badger75 » Mar Tue 23, 2021 1:11 pm

waterproof Gorilla Tape
Sure sounds worth having in your survival gear, or even for a Fox River float
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Mar Sat 27, 2021 12:42 pm

Today was fiberglass day. Here are some shots of how it looks. Tomorrow I'll start sanding. Paint will come later this week depending on the weather.

I put 2 layers on the most heavily damaged spots & 1 layer on another area that had minor damage.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby RonG » Mar Sun 28, 2021 2:02 am

:thumbup: :thumbup:
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Mar Sun 28, 2021 6:53 pm

Almost ready for paint. Spent some time today sanding. Started with medium grit & worked my way thru fine to extra fine. Next is wet sanding to get it as smooth as possible. It looks like painting will happen next weekend.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Apr Thu 08, 2021 9:29 am

Last installment. Here are the shots of the last 2 stages - primer and finished paint.

All-in-all I'm pretty satisfied with the results. Not perfect but it should last as long as I'll need it to.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby badger75 » Apr Wed 14, 2021 6:41 pm

looks great
badger75
Fishing Czar

Return to WindyCityTavern