A few dinks

Open discussion forum. Shoot the breeze and chat about, well... whatever. Rated PG-13. PLEASE maintain and level of decency and respect.

A few dinks

Postby joetrain » Jun Wed 09, 2021 2:27 pm

I have been getting out 1-2 days a week here in NC. The Flat River white bass run was good this year. I had multiple 50-60 fish days. Most of my action came from one spot that I stumbled upon. About as big as my living room but it stayed stacked with fish for days.

Also back hitting a paddle only section of Falls Lake. Nice quiet water that holds fish. I’m trolling my 3 way rigs and since I have started to dabble in tying some jigs I’ve been trolling those also. So far they have produced, not in any numbers. I did land a good bass and a gar but no pics.

Surface water was 80.5 today which means fish are in their summer patterns and that means I’m on the water early and off before it gets unbearably hot.

I started boat shopping. I’m pretty sure I want a bare bones tiller handle modified v Jon boat. Add-in a bow mount trolling motor and some electronics and I’ll be set. I have no need for speed. I want easy maintenance and something that can take a bit of abuse. Suggestions are welcomed.

So here’s some dinks for ya.

~JOE~
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: A few dinks

Postby oldsalt » Jun Wed 09, 2021 3:10 pm

Joe,no bass pro,get welded,max hp,power trim,4cycle,fi with that set up,you will plane quicker,be able to adjust plane at any speed,adjust for shallow water,drive up on the trailer,troll slow,I can troll down to .4mph,anything less you wonit be happy,power trim could be a grand more pay it.I looked at hundreds of used boats just like mine but no power trim,finally I found that one,it just makes everthing easier, driving it up the trailer is so easy,lot of guys say they don't want to go fast in a month they are back at the dealer upgrading hp,if buying new the salesman will lie their ass off telling you the 15hp is fine on 25hp rated boat,take your pick on motors,my merc 25hp is made in japan,over 25hp made in china,Yamaha I think is japan,south america,and france,honda japan,Good Luck
oldsalt
Fishing Czar

Postby joetrain » Jun Wed 09, 2021 3:20 pm

Thanks for the power trim advice. Makes sense. Whatever boat I get I’m thinking max it out on the hp. I have been looking at welded boats. Lowe, Crestliner, Xpress, Alweld, Lund. A few others but I can’t remember which ones.
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby oldsalt » Jun Wed 09, 2021 3:54 pm

Remember joe,all the dealers are your best friend until you have a warranty problem during busy season,usually the guy with the best service,might be higher on the price of the boat,look for service reviews.
oldsalt
Fishing Czar

Postby cletedius » Jun Wed 09, 2021 5:55 pm

Pound for pound, I think white bass are the most powerful fish in our part of the world. Been a few years since I got into a white bass run. There a blast!

As far as a boat, I 2nd a lot of what Old salt said:
Welded hull, max out the HP per the mfr plate rating, & not just for the speed. IMO power tilt/trim is a must, too. As far as the 2 vs 4stroke, Id figure that out after. For some boats, particularly flat-bottoms, the weight difference between the motors can be significant. On my boat (1752 lowe roughneck) I put a 70 2stroke on it for a couple reasons:
1-cost! A remanufactured 2stroke was less than 1/2 the cost of a new 4strk or 2 at the time.
2. Weight. At the time (2000), there was nearly 100lbs of difference between my carbureated 2strk & the 4strokes of similar HP. On some boats, the 100lbs might not matter but on mine, no way would that extra hondo ( :wink: shout out peteyB, wherever you are!) work well. I do know the 4stroke motors have narrowed the weight-gap considerably, but in some HP's, an older 2 stroke may still be considerably lighter.
I'll also add:
Get the widest bottom width you can. If you want to be able to stand up and fish, or aspire to add casting deck(s), or any other mods, I wouldnt go any narrower than a 48"bottom width. Get slightly more boat/motor than you think you'll need/want as its rather amazing how quickly 2-foot-itis can flare up. I still hate myself for going 1752 w/ a 70HP instead of going 1860 w/ a 90HP. (Im sure you know, but for those who dont, the model #'s on most flat-bottoms represent the overall length and bottom width. I.E., a 1752 is 17'long with a 52" bottom-width.)
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby joetrain » Jun Wed 09, 2021 6:13 pm

The Lowe 1752 is one that I have considered. I’m wanting it in my garage so length is a factor. If an 18 footer would fit in there then I would go that route. Where I live now is an HOA so they have some restrictions. One of them is trailers aren’t allowed to be stored in the driveway. I could store a boat in my yard. Then I could go with a bigger boat. 2 weeks ago I fished on my friend’s Skeeter. That was sweet.

I’m in no hurry so I can take my time and try to find what I want.

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cletedius » Jun Wed 09, 2021 6:29 pm

Some pretty cool, impressive,
& pricey jon boat makers!
https://www.havocboats.com/boats.html
https://gatortraxboats.com/

I have relatively few complaints about my lowe, it was priced comensurate with its level of quality & included features (as in, "cheap!"), but if I was doing it over again, Id probably go a different way ......& get an 1860 instead!
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby oldsalt » Jun Wed 09, 2021 9:08 pm

Also think breakaway tongue on the trailer ,get the biggest boat you can get you wonit regret,but remember you are not getting younger,easy to put a boat in,but taking it out you going to be climbing over the front doing a balancing act on the front of the trailer,plan on getting feet wet sometimes,get side bunks , good ones not the ones that you move when you bump into,if the side bunks are part of the trailer they are the best if you can you get away from wheel bearings that you grease I would think about,What ever you get ,remember once you buy it the expenses are not over ,time to accessorize, make it you own,you going to love it
oldsalt
Fishing Czar

Postby Busse Jim » Jun Wed 09, 2021 9:58 pm

nice wipers!!
Busse Jim
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Ksum » Jun Sun 13, 2021 10:19 am

Good Luck on Finding Your Boat.. I was on the fence, for a long while.. I took a look at Old salts post and it rang true in my choice. Storage,Insurance, Maintenance, and being able to use frequently.

I settled on A 10.5 sot YAK. I will rent when I go out of state, and I will always keep in mind Rental may be a bit pricey, but December Thru February..I'm not paying for Anything.

In hindsight, You only Live once, so...I look on with interest on your choice ... 8)
Ksum
Minnow

Postby joetrain » Jun Sun 13, 2021 10:57 am

Now that I’m living south I’m in my kayak 12 months of the year. A boat will greatly increase my range for sure.

My plan is to put a down payment of $8000 or so and finance the rest. A year from now I will start collecting my Social Security checks. I live fine now without it so I’ll pay the balance with the SS checks.

I have looked at barebones jon boats to tricked out bass boats. I can afford the more costly Ranger or Skeeter type boats but for my style of fishing I’m leaning towards the jon boat. I like the low maintenance factor of a tiller style jon.

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Luckydawg13 » Jun Sun 13, 2021 11:31 am

Me I would look at John boat with the modified front like the ones at Cabelas Is Griz zly war Eagle something like that
Is nothing less than a 16 footer and you really want to have a steering wheel not a tiller I had a Lund with a tiller thought that it was great then I sold it and got a tracker 16'.5 steering wheel deep V I just love it But whatever you get you definitely want a floor in it no robot style knows seats to step across
Kids that hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
Luckydawg13
Game Fish

Postby Luckydawg13 » Jun Sun 13, 2021 11:33 am

No seats to step across
Luckydawg13
Game Fish

Postby oldsalt » Jun Sun 13, 2021 3:50 pm

Joe,know with tiller,sitting in the middle of the seat,there will be one direction you wonit be able to turn without you turning around,sit in a model boat,on my boat I can put the rear seat in the middle or the left or right.When I put the seat on the side I have full tiller control, but the front of boat the leans so I have to put my gear on the other side ,go sit in one and turn the motor,then imagine sitting a seat with the steering wheel,you may change you mind, the one thing I hate on my boat is tiller steering. When we all get done with,you will spend a 100 grand,any other suggestions for Joe's boat guy's.
oldsalt
Fishing Czar

Postby joetrain » Jun Sun 13, 2021 5:02 pm

I thought of the steering issue. Thanks for the info. If I go with the steering wheel then I’m thinking side console will give me some room to move around.

Basically I don’t know what I want. There is a boat show in Raleigh at the end of August. I’ll go to it and see what’s there.

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Jun Mon 14, 2021 7:57 am

ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Luckydawg13 » Jun Mon 14, 2021 10:05 am

I like it that would work for me
Luckydawg13
Game Fish

Postby joetrain » Jun Tue 15, 2021 12:16 pm

Seriously considering this one too.
https://www.rangerboats.com/aluminum/mu ... s1660.html

It comes standard with everything I want and it would fit in my garage. A little more than I thought about spending but what the heck it’s only money.

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby oldsalt » Jun Tue 15, 2021 4:00 pm

The ranger is a better boat ,and a better trailer,and it's ready to go,your going to question it,but once you get it ,you will question no more.
oldsalt
Fishing Czar

Postby joetrain » Jun Tue 15, 2021 4:25 pm

The Ranger is for sure a better boat all the way around. It comes well equipped but still would need bow electronics and I think it only includes a cranking battery. The dealer near me is Cabelas. I’ll have to take a ride out there. I’m not sure but the price listed might be “no haggle.”

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Luckydawg13 » Jun Tue 15, 2021 4:54 pm

That Ranger is a nice boat but by time Cabelas adds it all up your probably looking at around 28K and its not a Deep V just something to think about if you want to be able to fish bigger water's
But if it works for you go for it
Luckydawg13
Game Fish

Postby oldsalt » Jun Tue 15, 2021 6:53 pm

Cabelas,donit like that joe,but who the hell can you trust ,you like it get,I see you sitting behind that steering wheel and you look good.,could use a little bit more hair,you earned that boat.
oldsalt
Fishing Czar

Return to WindyCityTavern